THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    What is your definition of a quality hunt?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is your definition of a quality hunt?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bushwack
posted
Anthony Dyer said…(African Outfitter: August / September 2009, p11) "For many people a hunting safari is the fulfilment of a often dreamt dream. So, was the hunt up to the dream?"

What is your definition of a quality hunt? (Pro / client)

Dream it...Discover it...Experience it...

Patrick Reynecke
Outfitter and Professional Hunter
Bushwack Safaris
Box 1736
Rustenburg

North West Province
South Africa
www.bushwacksafaris.co.za
Cell: +27 82 773 4099
Email: bushwacksafaris@vodamail.co.za

Posts: 291 | Location: North-West Province, South Africa | Registered: 17 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Being in the field.

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
One in which the unexpected turns out to be better than my preconceptions.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As Wink says, where the reality turns out to be better than the dream. I've done two safaris now, both with the same company and they both far exceeded my hopes. The quality of game, the quality of the stalk's and as well the PH's were all outstanding, knew there stuff and were great for round the bar chats and fun.

Posts: 101 | Location: Home Counties | Registered: 06 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a client, being out in the field having the hunt exceed your expectations as stated earlier. Seeing new places to hunt, and hunting familiar places, just being out. Having the means to hunt is high on the list. There are some folks in the world who would like to hunt freely but cannot because of laws, customs, or lack of means. We should be very thankful we can hunt as we wish.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:
One in which the unexpected turns out to be better than my preconceptions.

Amen...

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Quality is defined as: Superiority of kind, as well as the grade or degree of excellence. Therefore, if the hunt and its physical amenities are superior(extraordinary)and of a higher nature or kind than others, then it is a quality hunt to me. And in that light, I agree with the comments above.

One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
A quality hunt is where the controllable variables (camp , service equipment , attitude etc) are exactly as expected or better and the uncontrollable aspects have excellent potential.

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
+1 thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ivan carter:
A quality hunt is where the controllable variables (camp , service equipment , attitude etc) are exactly as expected or better and the uncontrollable aspects have excellent potential.

Good definition...

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BwanaBob
posted Hide Post
To me, a quality hunt is being in prime game country (and for me this is truly wild and beautiful country such as the Sapi Safari Area in Zim. or any similar area) with a good, hard-working PH who loves to hunt and is great company in camp.

I couldn't care about the creature comforts in camp and am just as happy with a swag on the ground. I don't care if I don't shoot record-book heads, just as long as the hunting is truly fair-chase.

These are the basics I expect from a quality hunt - anything extra is just icing on the cake.

------------------------

"White men with their ridiculous civilization lie far from me. No longer need I be a slave to money" (W.D.M Bell)
www.cybersafaris.com.au

Posts: 909 | Location: Blackheath, NSW, Australia | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
I think Ivan nailed it.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
A quality hunt is defined by me as being a safari or hunting trip that allows the hunter the opportunity to truly hunt for, (spot and stalk, set bait for a blind, track, whatever,)the intended game in an area that is suitable habitat for both the hunter and the hunted and actually has the intended game residing in said habitat!

That measn to me, put and take lion, buffalo, elk, pheasant, not a quality hunt. Semi urban deer or duck hunting on golf courses or near condo developments? Not a quality hunt. Certainly there are many duck hunting clubs in the States that regularly yield limits of ducks with the individual blinds evenly spaced 75 yards apart. No thanks, not a quality hunt. A western Montana opening day elk hunt with the bullets flying every which direction from the ten thousand road hunters out on opening day is not a quality hunt.

If a hunt or hunting area is sold based primarily on price, accomodations or the guarantee of a collected trophy I do not believe it to be a quality hunt.

A Save Conservancy safari to me is a quality hunt. good game numbers in good real wildlife habitat. The Selous sound to me to be a quality hunt, not based on accomodations or price, but based on the remote and "Wild Africa," aspect.
We are mostly all aware that the ivory from the Selous may well not be as heavy as from Botswana or even Zimbabwe, but to me Selous ivory would be a treasured prize/ memory from a quality hunt.

Posts: 9124 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
A "quality hunt" starts from the minute you leave home, and my own definition might be a slightly different than some.

1. I want all the arrangements agreed on with the outfitter and PH taken care of, with no questions left an answered.

When I am in the field hunting, that is all I want to do. HUNT!

2. This includes making propper travel arrangements with qualified hunting travel agents, who would know the details, and any unforseen problems that might crop up.

I don't want to skip on costs and book my travel through the Internet with an unknown entity who probably has no idea what travelling with firearms entails today.

3. I want to arrive at my destination with the outfitter or PH's representative meeting me at the airport, complete with all relevant licenses - rifles, hunting etc.

I have no wish to arrive at my destination and find that my outfitter has been sleeping on the job, and has not managed to the firearms permit. I sure haveno wish to leave my guns at the airport while cooling my feet at some hotel in Dar - or any other city, for that matter.

I don't want to get to the hunting camp and find that my hunting license has not arrived yet!

4. I want a comfortable, safe camp with plenty of food and drinks.

I want to have a reasonable chance of at least seeing the animals I have agreed to hunt.

Finding the right trophy I will leave to lady luck.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67013 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ivan carter:

Couldn't agree more!

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
quote:
A "quality hunt" starts from the minute you leave home, and my own definition might be a slightly different than some.

1. I want all the arrangements agreed on with the outfitter and PH taken care of, with no questions left an answered.

When I am in the field hunting, that is all I want to do. HUNT!

2. This includes making propper travel arrangements with qualified hunting travel agents, who would know the details, and any unforseen problems that might crop up.

I don't want to skip on costs and book my travel through the Internet with an unknown entity who probably has no idea what travelling with firearms entails today.

3. I want to arrive at my destination with the outfitter or PH's representative meeting me at the airport, complete with all relevant licenses - rifles, hunting etc.

I have no wish to arrive at my destination and find that my outfitter has been sleeping on the job, and has not managed to the firearms permit. I sure haveno wish to leave my guns at the airport while cooling my feet at some hotel in Dar - or any other city, for that matter.

I don't want to get to the hunting camp and find that my hunting license has not arrived yet!

4. I want a comfortable, safe camp with plenty of food and drinks.

I want to have a reasonable chance of at least seeing the animals I have agreed to hunt.

Finding the right trophy I will leave to lady luck.

perfect i agree completely ...

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Ivan and Saeed nailed it.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
One of the biggest measures of a quality hunt for me is that I can look back at it later with no real bad memories, and nothing I would feel bitter about or ashamed of.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A quality hunt is one were you are succesful in taking the game you are after.It's obvious that if you don't have a license,you can't hunt.Likewise,other gaffs don't need mentioning.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of OldHandgunHunter
posted Hide Post
A good PH with a pleasing personality; abundant opportunites to take mature game; good food; good weather; and nobody got hurt.

What else could a hunter ask for?

When you get bored with life, start hunting dangerous game with a handgun.

Posts: 495 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Good weather,good game,no surprises.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote