New
Find
Notify
Tools

Safari for Honeymoon
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Have to ask some that have done their honeymoon on a safari, how did you convince the new wife to go on safari? I will be getting married in around a year so I have sometime to convince her that an Africa safari for a honeymoon is the thing to do. She does not hunt but does want to learn to shoot.

I am having enough of a time to convince her to have the wedding at the lake pavillion on the hunting property. And I know my life would be a lot easier if I just take her to somewhere she wants to go but its worth a shot for an Africa Safari honeymoon.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Do it with rovos rails, Vic fall and finish it up with a matetsi ele Wink

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I've been married for 30 years, to the same woman. If I may make a suggestion, take her where she wants to go.

She'll be happy. I have found that this helps in a marriage situation.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dwarf416
posted Hide Post
Call Butch form matupula safaris to prepare a combination between his photo camps and the hunting camps. I promise it will work!

diego

Posts: 645 | Location: madrid spain | Registered: 31 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:
I've been married for 30 years, to the same woman. If I may make a suggestion, take her where she wants to go.

Easy, but solid advice Wink

Posts: 1091 | Location: Norway | Registered: 08 June 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
quote:

+1

A woman's wedding and honeymoon mean something different to her than it does to a man. Suggest you cease trying to "convince" her regarding anything to do with HER wedding/honeymoon.

This comes from almost 45 years of wedded bliss, during which time I came to understand the key to a successful and stress-free marriage: do what you are told and don't argue. dancing

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1553 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Has she seen "Out of Africa"? If not, rent the DVD. Tell her she's Meryl Streep and you're Robert Redford.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Has she seen "Out of Africa"? If not, rent the DVD. Tell her she's Meryl Streep and you're Robert Redford.

Now that's worth a try! My wife really loves that movie.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Photos of Sango did the trick!

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have been married for 20 years and I agree with Wink.

I would put forth the option for a safari honeymoon but I definitely would not force the issue.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
When Sandy and I planned our honeymoon, we both did research, then made a list of ten places each.... compared them and began to discuss. We prioritized our own list 1 to 10 with ten being where we'd most like to go, then did the same with the other's list.

We then culled to the top ten in combined points and put those destinations in a hat and drew them out and talked at length about things such as time of year, activities, travel expenses, etc. We didn't do it in an evening or even in a day. It was a month long process and turned out to be enlightening and fun.

In that process, I discovered a lot about Sandy. What her fears were, what her childhood dreams were, what type of honeymoon memories she wanted. I was humbled to find that her greatest desire was to be "with" me and not just watching me do something.

That made Wink's suggestion real, even if I hadn't read it yet.

We picked an old castle tower in Scotland, rented a car and explored, cooked about half of our own meals, met great folks with whom we still correspond, sat in a hot tub on top of a mountain and enjoyed some of the most beautiful sunsets and wonderfully changing weather in the world. (White Tower of Taymouth Castle)

I'm sure that Sandy would have done whatever I wanted, if I'd pushed it enough, but, as it worked out, I now have a travel partner who is willing to do what I did with her... listen .... and she's not only willing, but will eagerly consider to what I would like to do, add comments, express concerns (without worrying if I'll dismiss them out of hand) and then begin to participate in travels that she never thought she'd do, much less eagerly anticipate. (And, when I get bored doing her stuff, I just get my Kindle out and read.)

In August, we go on her first trip to Africa. For four days we play at Vic Falls, then to Candy and Martin Pieters' Nehimba Lodge for five more. She doesn't hunt (or want to) so she flies home after the Hwange stuff and I go to Matetsi for a tuskless. Big Grin

She may never want to see Africa again, but she does feel that she's doing this trip on "our" terms, and not just following me around.

Trust me. The honeymoon isn't about one trip. It's just the first of (hopefully) dozens in the rest of your live together. Let your lady take the lead the first time. That way, you'll get to Africa pretty darn quickly, me thinks, and with a smile on her face.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We got engaged on a moose hunt and went to Africa on our honeymoon. She had never heard a gun go off till she met me. Guess I am a lucky man!

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unless she wants to get actively evolved by herself now the odds of her wanting to do so after your married is very slim.

Women well say and do any thing to land their husband before the marriage.

It is a rare women to get into hunting and outdoor activities after marriage.

Or find someone who all ready hunts and say honey lets go to Africa and kill things.

If they didn't do it before marriage.

I take her on a nice romantic honey then go on safari.

Posts: 19583 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
look up some of the tent camps in SA that are open topped. she will love those. and show her photos of the sun sets.If all else fails email me and we'll arrange for her to get some of my custom made jewelry delivered to her on the Safari!! good luck my friend

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You could keep looking till you find a RICH widow that likes to hunt & wants to go on safari!

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
Is this her first wedding? One gets married for the first time only once. For women it is a culmination of a lifetime of fairy tale dreams and society conditioning.

If it is indeed her first time I'd not try to convince her as it will lead to a resentment that will last throughout your marriage even if she agrees now.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is her 2nd marriage, first husband passed away from stroke, its my first marriage. It took me 50 years to find her even though we went to same high school. I'm 6 years older than her so for me to find her back then I would have to have been cruising the elementary schools when I was a senior in high school. Eeker

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is great advice. Remember, if you want a happy life, you need to have a happy wife.

If she is unhappy long enough, you will be unhappy with half of your stuff.

Frowner

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

DRSS; NRA; Illinois State Rifle Association; Missouri Sport Shooting Association

“One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce, and canonized those who complain.”
– Thomas Sowell, “The Vision Of The Anointed: Self-Congratulation As A Basis For Social Policy”

Posts: 771 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highlander7
posted Hide Post
My soon-to-be wife and I did our honeymoon is RSA. It's was basically her idea. I was going back to the outdoor show for more info on a bear hunt and fishing trip. On the way there I asked her if she wanted for me to look into anything for her. She said a safari. I asked if it was a photo safari or if I could do some hunting? She said "No. You can hunt." dancing At the time she did not hunt but, later that year she took the hunters education course and took her first Whitetail deer . In the following 4 years she has taken 8 Whitetails and 4 African animals during our honeymoon safari. Big Grin

The safari was a huge success. We had a great time and been hook on Africa ever since. We saw so many animals and a lot of people are jealous of our honeymoon trip when they look at our photo album. If your future wife is even remotely into the outdoors and animal she will have a blast.

MSG, USA (Ret.) Armor
NRA Life Memeber

Posts: 599 | Location: Chester County, PA. | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was a no brainer for wife & I she caught the hunting bug while dating me.We honeymooned in Namibia.
Related story,I was getting engaged and asked Joann about my hunting and trips abroad,she said I was going to have to limit my trips to 2 days.Then and there I told her have a nice life without me,done.

Posts: 371 | Location: northcentral mt | Registered: 25 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Culpepper:
This is her 2nd marriage, first husband passed away from stroke, its my first marriage. It took me 50 years to find her even though we went to same high school. I'm 6 years older than her so for me to find her back then I would have to have been cruising the elementary schools when I was a senior in high school. Eeker

It being her second marriage then I think you can get away with convincing her on the honeymoon. Though most women want to be with their husbands 24/7 during the honeymoon, and if she doesn't want to be there when you shoot the animals it could be an issue.

I can relate to age differences. My last wife was born when I was a freshman in college. Current partner when I was a sophomore. Wink. The age differences get more insignificant as one gets older.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
By the way, my wife and I went on our honeymoon in Kenya, way back in 1984. No hunting, but it was a great trip. Since I met her in Africa and we were living in Africa it was no big deal.

However, she has no interest whatsoever in going on a hunting safari with me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well it looks like I won the marriage lottery.

My wife drives the Africa experience. She made me get married in Court on the cheap so she could spend it on my hunting Africa. She doesn't even really hunt, just loves the adventure and video/picture experience. We have been their 6 times, half of which she picked including the rainforest hunt where she took command of the video, and stayed at it day in day out through the jungle/bugs/humidity experience, chased by buffalo, threatened by elephants and gorillas, etc.
Then she made me book derby eland and stayed on her game over 8 long blistering hot days of hunting before I pulled the trigger on a 50 3/4 Bull. Hell, she even shared lunch with the trackers one day on the eland trail, after we ran some poachers and got their dropped sack of a porcupine and bush duiker. The trackers cooked them both for lunch and she ate it, but not me.
Then she made me hunt the mountains of Maasailand and the Rift Valley. Can you believe it?

I will not even get into all the money she makes me spend on taxidermy which is now spread throughout our house and my office. I admit the lifesize Bongo and Lesser kudu are nice.

Yes, I won the lottery and I know it, and am eternally grateful.

One of Us
Picture of Canuck32
posted Hide Post
My wife was more than happy to go on our Honeymoon to Namibia. I wanted a cheetah and she wanted a giraffe mount for the house. We planned to only be hunting a max of 7 days then to Swakopmound for 7 days, but got done hunting in 4 so it was no problem to spend more time on the coast. We stayed at Okarumuti game lodge and booked through Pierre van Tonder and it was a great place. My wife was thrilled with it and raves abut the trip to all her friends.

FWIW this is actually, in my mind, a good test to see if she is the right one. I have too many friends that have wives that hate their hunting trips.
Also make sure you don't have a wedding date on the opening day of deer season. Another buddy has that problem and hasn't been on an opening day hunt since!

If you have that much to fight for, then you should be fighting. The sentiment that modern day ordinary Canadians do not need firearms for protection is pleasant but unrealistic. To discourage responsible deserving Canadians from possessing firearms for lawful self-defence and other legitimate purposes is to risk sacrificing them at the altar of political correctness."

- Alberta Provincial Court Judge Demetrick

Posts: 615 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 17 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take her to Paris. Tell her that you only want to focus on her during the honeymoon. Than take her to Vegas in January. Go to the SCI show and book your hunt for the following year.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
What Wink and some of the others have originally said! tu2 Forty years ago on this very day for me and my wife. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Great wisdom Judge!

quote:
Trust me. The honeymoon isn't about one trip. It's just the first of (hopefully) dozens in the rest of your live together. Let your lady take the lead the first time. That way, you'll get to Africa pretty darn quickly, me thinks, and with a smile on her face.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11221 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
What Wink and some of the others have originally said! tu2 Forty years ago on this very day for me and my wife. Big Grin

HAPPY 40th ANNIVERSARY to you folks Vaughn beer

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nitro Express:
quote:

+1

A woman's wedding and honeymoon mean something different to her than it does to a man. Suggest you cease trying to "convince" her regarding anything to do with HER wedding/honeymoon.

This comes from almost 45 years of wedded bliss, during which time I came to understand the key to a successful and stress-free marriage: do what you are told and don't argue. dancing

+1 rotflmo

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13399 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you considered researching 4 options of places in the world to go and things to do.
You could get on websites and download the info and pictures and things to do for each place.
1. Something in Europe. say, Scotland. Do the whole staying at a country manor thing with sight-seeing. and show the option of a couple days stalking a stag.

2. New Zealand. emphasize travel/tour for 5 or 6 days, with a mountain hike for a tahr/chamois.

3. Africa. 4 days at Vic Falls. 1 day of sea-fishing. 7 days of hunting at a lodge that is great. She can accompany you the times she desires, and relax/spa the times she doesn't.

4. Ask her to think of a trip she'd like. Let her know about the safari you'd like for you to do together and say, "honey, for the honeymoon you decide and, if not africa, I'll book that trip for our next vacation."

As posted, the honeymoon needs to be about her and what she desires.

My wife and I will be married 30 years this summer and will be spending it at KMG Safaris in the East Cape after a few days at Vic Falls.
My 2nd trip with KMG, her first. We have picked 4 animals each to hunt. She is pumped. 30 years ago, She had never hunted or fished until dating me. Got hooked on fishing immediately. pun intended. For a few years, she'd go hunting with me, then the desire to be the shooter came on her and now loves it.
At 21, our honeymoon choices were very limited as I was still in pharmacy school, but at 50 yrs old and getting married now? I'd do it up big.

I mentioned New Zealand and Scotland because they are both trips she wants to do with the hunting included.

blessings.
rphguy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife has been hinting that she would finally like to go to "Africa" which to her is just some big amorphous place to which I disappear periodically. This would be no "honeymoon" as we've been married over 30 years. She does not hunt.

So I've tried to come up with something she would like; maybe something that would include some hunting or fishing, but mostly geared toward her and what she would like. She's not really into "roughing it" in any sense. I've thought about a hunt at the tail end after I put her on the plane home too, but that's another story.

So here's the possibilities that I've come up with. A trip to visit friends in Arusha, see the major parks in northern Tanzania and then go to one or more of the trio of islands offshore: Zanzibar, Pemba and Mafia.

The Seychelles. No hunting, but perhaps a day or two of fishing.

An actual hunting camp in the Lake Natron area. The scenery is beautiful and the company I hunt with makes a camp seem like a five star hotel.

Anyway, I agree with others, a trip like that should cater to the woman, especially since you are trying to introduce her to Africa and get her to want to go as badly as you do. It's best to start with something "nice".

Good luck!

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of shoulderman
posted Hide Post
I have been happily married for 16 years and with my wife for 20. we as a family are going back to africa in 4 weeks for our 3rd family safari. My family loves it. Having said that, the honeymoon is all about her. You need to do to what she wants. This is your opportunity to really show her that she is your top and only priority. I surprised my wife, never told her where we were going on our honeymoon until 2 days before so she could pack. I rented a small cottage on an out island in the Bahamas. No cell phones, cable, TV etc. We had a boat for the week. We fished, laid around and had a lot of together time. Make it about her and you will hunt a lot more in the future. My wife has never told me "NO" When I said I was taking off hunting. I never have to ask permission.

Kodiak 2022
Namibia 2019
Namibia 2018
South Africa 2017
Alaska Brown Bear 2016
South Africa, 2016
Zimbabwe 2014
South Africa 2013
Australia 2011
Alberta 2009
Namibia 2007
Alberta 2006

Posts: 236 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 17 January 2012Reply With Quote