Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted
On Discovery Ch,at 7PM Central Time

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
thanks

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
The Tsavo Lions

http://www.fieldmuseum.org/exhibits/exhibit_sites/tsavo/default.htm

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CaneCorso
posted Hide Post
Is it Philip Caputo's version, I wonder? He tore Patterson's version up a bit in his book. Frowner

~~~

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
1 Corinthians 16:13

Posts: 622 | Location: CA, USA | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
The listings did not say, I saw one of his hunting shows a while back but do not think it was about this. Name of book please.

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The Man-Eaters of Tsavo by Patterson

Ghost of Tsavo by Caputo

I liked them both. Caputo investigates the differences between Tsavo lions and Serengetti lions.

One of Us
Picture of CaneCorso
posted Hide Post
Caputo's book: "Ghosts of Tsavo: Tracking the Mythic Lions of East Africa"
# Hardcover: 300 pages
# Publisher: National Geographic (June 1, 2002)
# Language: English
# ISBN: 0792263626

I was a bit disappointed at his treatment of Patterson.

~~~

One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
Thanks

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Invader,

Thanks for the heads up! A very educational and enjoyable show. Great viewing. Hugh

Posts: 435 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The program that was on before this one was about a pride of lions. It was either in Kenya or Tanzania. But the part that cativated me was when the herd of Buff came upon the place where the lions were hiding the cubs.
None of the hunting videos, nor any other video that I have watch has been able to convey the total fury and destruction that the Buff is capable of.
It showed the real size of a big bull and the actual footage of the bulls killing the cubs was simply shocking. A cat kill or a hyena kill can not match this even though they are both for survival.

Dulcinea

What counts is what you learn after you know it all!!!

Posts: 712 | Location: York,Pa | Registered: 27 February 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post

Is a bloody awfull interpretation of Patterson's book.

Get the original - or a copy of it - and enjoy a real hunting story.

I got the impression that Caputo did not have a clue what hunting is!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had lunch with of buddy of mine yesterday, who just had visited the field museum. He tells me the lions were not big mained species, and hat the mounts were very small. Petterson
had made rugs out of them. When changed to a life size mount they lost a lot of their naterial size.
JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
Picture of CaneCorso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

I think Caputo was mentally ruined by his experiences in Vietnam (see his famous book "A Rumor of War"). IMHO, since then his goal has been to tear down icons such as Patterson and classic traditions.

~~~

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

An emphatic "Ditto"!

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
probably 20yrs ago I read a paperback 'historical' novel about the lions. As I recall it was written by a 'western' author as there were western books listed that he had written. Anyone familiar with this book? capt david

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds. Get closer!

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Takes a lot of nerve to put down the guy who was actually there and did the deed.

Patterson's book was interesting but hardly exciting. He seemed to accept the deaths of the workers in an almost a matter of fact way. He basically looked for the lions, found them and shot them. The End.

DC300

Posts: 334 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 12 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clifton Clowers
posted Hide Post
Incidentally, the reason the Val Kilmer/Michael Douglas movie based on the Tsavo lions is titled "The Ghost and the Darkness" is because Patterson himself named the two cats Ghost and Darkness.

Armed men are citizens. Unarmed men are subjects. Disarmed men are serfs.

Posts: 74 | Location: Wolverton Mountain | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J D:
I had lunch with of buddy of mine yesterday, who just had visited the field museum. He tells me the lions were not big mained species, and hat the mounts were very small. Petterson
had made rugs out of them. When changed to a life size mount they lost a lot of their naterial size.
JD

I was there two weeks ago, and if you are not versed in the story (by Patterson) they would not be noteworthy. Although they were somewhat smaller than I expected, I was impressed at how good they did look taking into account the fact that they had been rugs for decades. The skulls were more interesting to me. As an aside, I found a giant sable in a dimly lit corridor that was truly impressive. The Field Museum is a good place to visit if you have time on your hands in Chicago.

Posts: 116 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I believe the taxidermist spent 2 years getting them back into shape.

Here is the book online, for those who have not read it:

Small version with 1 pic

4 Meg version with 120 pics

I have rather fond memories of these lions as my father worked at the Field Museum back in the early 70's and I had a summer volunteer job there working gluing together dinosaur bones.

When I was feeling daring during late evenings I would walk through the African hall and scare the bejeepers out of myself...

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As per Patterson´s book, both lions were very big animals, one of them exceeded 4´ at the shoulder, as far as I can recall.

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Lions at the Field Museum are larger than they used to be. They've been redone recently, and are closer to actual size. Prior to that they were really kind of pathetic looking, and the damage to the hides was quite obvious.

Posts: 1128 | Location: Iowa, dammit! | Registered: 09 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link never thought you could read for free, anyone know of any other sites you can get any other good books online? Hunting books that is.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As an aside and most are probably aware of this but...

If you are interested in such things you should make an effort to read the Jim Corbett books about hunting down man eating tigers and leopards. Cracking stories even if some do question if absolutely every detail is true.

I don't think the Patterson book makes as good reading as the Corbett ones though it is a most impressive tale.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
wow how in the hell did i reply to this old thread I thought it was the one from a week or so ago that had the link to the book. oops

homer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Did any of you actually READ Caputos book? It mentions John Patterson but it is not about him or the animals he killed. He is a journalist who accompanied a research party and gave his views AS A JOURNALIST.

The laymans version of the scintific expedition was written by Bruce D. Patterson (no relation to John), and is called "The Lions of Tsavo". John Patterson is mentioned in this book as well.

DC300

Posts: 334 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 12 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CaneCorso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DC300:
Did any of you actually READ Caputos book? It mentions John Patterson but it is not about him or the animals he killed. He is a journalist who accompanied a research party and gave his views AS A JOURNALIST.

The laymans version of the scintific expedition was written by Bruce D. Patterson (no relation to John), and is called "The Lions of Tsavo". John Patterson is mentioned in this book as well.

Yes, I own the book and read it. I did not enjoy what I perceived to be 21st century urban bias in his writings.

~~~

One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
caputo also wrote a book on vietnam that was rather disapointing but his treatment of this story was pretty poor indeed

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote