THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    11 mm Mauser (black powder cartridge) in Africa?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

11 mm Mauser (black powder cartridge) in Africa?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Looking for anecdotal evidence of the use of this fine old 19th-century black powder cartridge in the hunting fields of Africa, then or now.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am restoring a Sauer Cape Gun 11mm/16ga specifically to take to Africa next year. The 11mm is not much different than a black powder 45-70. In my book "The Shamba Raiders", the author talks of using this caliber on elephant but finding it lacking. I would think it's fine for bushveld conditions on PG and leopard...with a load of buckshot in the other bbl of course!

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Alf: I asked because I just obtained a nice specimen of a Mauser M71 single shot myself. I have HDS cases and dies on the way.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Alf: Thanks. I was aware that the groove diameter was considerably larger on the earlier M71, and mine seems to be about .456. I was thinking of trying paper patched bullets, but clearly would benefit from having the specs from a Cerrosafe cast of the chamber and throat.
I'd love to hear about the use of the 11mm on African game.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quite a few of them arround- mainly cape doubles or drillings

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
What would the ballistics of one of 11 mm be in a bolt action M71?

How common are the M71 repeaters today, and what sort of prices for a "reasonable" condition one be?

A nice bit of history.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
John: "Cartridges of the World" says the military spec load was a 386-grain PP lead bullet at 1425 fps. There are a number of 71/84 repeaters around right now, but many are in absolutely dreadful shape. I found the M71 in probably 70 percent condition with excellent bore for about $400 US.

– John Green, author