New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 458 Win. Mag. in Africa
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Please, please tell me that my 416 Rigby with 450gr Woodleighs is as good a bang as one of these 'homely' 458s you're talking about, or I'll soon be developing an uncontrollable urge to try one out (again).
Charlie

Posts: 159 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 30 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Nobody's mentioned the Northfork 450 grainer. I haven't tried it yet, but looks like a real pip.

I, too, have a pre-64 with a 25 inch barrel. It's still in the building stages though. I know, I know, I'm a heretic. Actually, it was started by somebody else, but I'm finishing it.

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Scrollcutter,
How thoughtless of me!
I have those .458/450gr North Fork softs, and they have performed excellently in my .45 Lapua at 2500 fps.

The 450 grain North Fork soft is 1.462" long by my measure, and it has lots of grooves/bands to crimp anywhere you like. If you seat 0.460" of it, the Winnie COL wil be 3.502".

This will still require an H&H length magazine, but it will hot up the Old Girl considerably, to continue the metaphor.

For reference, the TSX bullet lengths are as follows:
450gr = 1.514"
500gr = 1.650"

BTW, I hope you meant the North Fork was a "rip" not a "pip." If so, I thank you, because I DO give a rip about North Fork. They are the greatest, and also make a super-penetrating 450 grain solid of .458cal/450gr persuasion.

Also, North Fork has nothing to do with Gladys Knight, so I don't see how they could be "Pips" either.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote