THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    What happens if you shoot your tracker?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What happens if you shoot your tracker?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
also, you must shoot them during daylight hours and only from a proper blind with the rifle on a solid rest. anything else is obviously unethical and an affront to any hunter.

Jdollar. There you go and you can bait them with a six pack of beer.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9956 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Harris:
Fairgame,
Going by your track record so far, I bet the next topic you will start will be about the ethics of hunting Professional Hunters or trackers using hounds.

Damn you Harris how on earth did you guess that.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:
Originally posted by Ganyana:
Fairgame- Rusty didn't shoot anyone- He hit him...and people rusty hit generally stay that way and anyway, that was a 'political' case.

Trackers have been shot before- and killed, by both the PH and clients.

And No Zimbabwe law has never been based in English common law (like Botswana uses), rather we have always used Roman-Dutch common law (because Rhodesia didn't start out as a colony- Britain only took over the 'administration' of Rhodeisa in 1923 by which time laws were already in place).

Also, Zimbabwe police (CID dept) are quite good...and the foresnsic ballistics dept very good. Just becuase the average cop at a road block or overseeing a mob of malitia trashing a farm is an illiterate baboon, do not assume all are. Like anywhere else in the world, altering the scene of the crime makes you guilty. You are perfectly justified in going to your embassy, but, if it was an accident, the police will soon work that out. If it was your fault, they will work that out as well. Settling the matter of compensation in Zim is one hell of alot cheaper than settling the matter in the USA!

If it is murder, well then like those two Norwegian idiots sitting in jail in the congo...get out fast. Much nicer to sit in a 1st world jail than listen to the mob demanding your hanging in a 3rd world one.

Thanks Ganyana for not shouting at me. I was guessing at Zimbabwe and just presumed the Rhodesias would have embraced the same legal system.

Never knew Rusty and hope he is being looked after by you chaps.

Hi Fairgame,
it has been my experience that Ganyana always gives considered and informative posts on this forum and no doubt has a wealth of knowledge to share with the other posters and is generous enough to do so. He is one of the few guys I listen to around here.

I look forward to your future posts as I believe that you have a lot to bring to the table.

Ignore the wannabees, because that's all they are. You would have forgotten more than most of them will ever know. They live in a fantasy world, although it is sometimes amusing to read their disjointed ramblings. Wink

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
Maybe this should be a standard question on outfitters contracts. According to the answer, do you accept the business or not!! Cool

SUSTAINABLY HUNTING THE BLUE PLANET!
"Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful, murder respectable and to give an appearence of solidity to pure wind." Dr J A du Plessis

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Hi John,

In our trade we call them safari groupies.

Cheers

Andrew

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
C. Do a runner?

Yeah, that one, REAL friggin smart. Kill someone then run away, don't worry, no one will bother to follow up Roll Eyes

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes, shamethere are ALOT of VERY serious people here,w/ no sense of humor

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know, somehow I just can't get the humor in this one, I guess because I think that is about as bad of a thing that could happen on safari. Anyone ever read the "Henry Poolman Story"? It was first published in Outdoor Life in the 70's. Poolman tried to save a client from a lion attack and was shot and killed in the process. It was a classic case of when things go wrong!

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gas57
posted Hide Post
My flowchart is, only load the chamber when the PH says to, only pull the trigger when the guide gives the green light. this has served me well all over the world. Occasionally frustrating and no fun and very safe.

When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults!

Posts: 903 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gas57:
My flowchart is, only load the chamber when the PH says to, only pull the trigger when the guide gives the green light. this has served me well all over the world. Occasionally frustrating and no fun and very safe.

I think what happens sometimes, at least in some of the shooting accidents that I am thinking about, guide has already told the people with guns to chamber a round, things go bad, guide or tracker is getting chewed on or about to get chewed on, and the person with the gun reacts. I think that is what happened with Poolman, his tracker shot him! Poolman grabbed the lions tail in an effort to pull it off his client, the tracker fired a load of buckshot at point-blank range, missed the lion but it smashed into Henry's chest and killed him instantly! I am not all that familiar with the recent incident where a dog handler was shot during a leopard hunt with dogs, but I am sure it was done with the intention of helping someone who was getting attacked.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
Probably need a lawyer here.

Hypothetical question - You are on an Africa safari and things go wrong and you accidentally shoot your tracker or PH for what ever reason?

What would you do?

A. Leave it in the hands of your possibly dead PH, make a plan and then address the situation from the safety of your home country?

B. Report the incident to the nearest Police Station, contact a lawyer and let local law take it course?

C. Do a runner?

I was trying to think of a forth option but could not.

It is all well being booked through a renowned booking agent but if the shit hits the fan where does it leave you?

Most sub Saharan countries inherited English law and are today still governed under the basis of this structure. However let us narrow it down to the the main Safari destinations - RSA, Tanzania, Namibia, Zimbabwe and Zambia. Would appreciate inputs from representatives of these countries.

Any lawyers out there?

Ummmm. . . find a replacement?

" Knowledge without experience is just information. "

- Mark Twain

Posts: 141 | Location: santa maria, ca | Registered: 25 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RBHunt:
quote:

I think what happens sometimes, at least in some of the shooting accidents that I am thinking about, guide has already told the people with guns to chamber a round, things go bad, guide or tracker is getting chewed on or about to get chewed on, and the person with the gun reacts. I think that is what happened with Poolman, his tracker shot him! Poolman grabbed the lions tail in an effort to pull it off his client, the tracker fired a load of buckshot at point-blank range, missed the lion but it smashed into Henry's chest and killed him instantly! I am not all that familiar with the recent incident where a dog handler was shot during a leopard hunt with dogs, but I am sure it was done with the intention of helping someone who was getting attacked.
in that situation, the leopard had jumped in the back of the truck(having ignored the client and PH on the charge) and was mauling the dog handler. the client, who was using a rifle, ran up to the truck and fired at the leopard as he leaned over the side. he missed to leopard but shot the handler through the arm. the PH,using a shotgun, ran up and stuck his barrel under the leopard-who was on top of the handler- and blew him off. luckily, the gunshot to the arm was a through and through wound with no major damage. i got this info from the PH involved and the incident described took place in 2005 on the leopard hunt before mine.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13402 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

in that situation, the leopard had jumped in the back of the truck(having ignored the client and PH on the charge) and was mauling the dog handler. the client, who was using a rifle, ran up to the truck and fired at the leopard as he leaned over the side. he missed to leopard but shot the handler through the arm. the PH,using a shotgun, ran up and stuck his barrel under the leopard-who was on top of the handler- and blew him off. luckily, the gunshot to the arm was a through and through wound with no major damage. i got this info from the PH involved and the incident described took place in 2005 on the leopard hunt before mine.

And the Boddington incident. All involving dogs I might add?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
What happens if you shoot your tracker?
Well, depending on where you hit him, he either dies or is wounded....

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sevenxbjt:
quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:
I always carry a bolt action with at least three, and in some cases five, rounds in the magazine.

So, I'm pretty sure I could quickly shoot all of the remaining witnesses and frame the PH for the crime.

"He went rogue on us, officer, and shot all the trackers, and even the game scout."

"Luckily, I put him down with a frontal brain shot before he could get me, too."

Given third world forensics and the mental instability of PHs in general, I would probably not even miss my flight home.

MR, you sir are a pragmatic man.

If he was truly pragmatic he would use a double, could take the PH down quicker and reload before the game scout could figure out how to shoot the AK. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Thanks for the update on the leopard incident.