New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kenya Gun and Hunting Laws?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm currently in a position to take a job in Kenya. I've not committed to it yet as I'm researching the lifestyle there. As I'm a hunter and fisherman, these activities are going to play a big part in my decision. Can anybody tell me what the hunting, fishing and gun ownership laws are like in Kenya? If I'm able to partake in these activities, what game animals, fowl and fish are available?

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Kenya has some great fishing opportunities.......esp sea fishing. The marlin fishing is wonderful and a record grouper was taken there last year (or the year before) ...but it ain't cheap.

As to hunting, as an overseas visitor, you'll find it almost impossible or impossible to import your firearms. But they don't allow overseas visitors to hunt anyway. I believe the only people who can hunt in Kenya are residents/landowners and (unofficially their guests)......so unless you can get a personal invitation from a lanowner who is prepared to loan you a gun your chances of any serious hunting are pretty remote. Having said that, I seem to remember they allow some bird shooting, but again you would have to borrow a shotgun.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There is presently a major criminal case pending (a true cause célèbre) involving illegal hunting ("culling", poaching) and the deadly shooting of a Kenya Wildlife Service ranger at close range by none less than the Honorable Tom (Tom Cholmondeley, son of the 5th Earl of Delamere).

All parties in this affair seem to have somewhat unclean hands, as much as I know from Nakuru.

Carcano

--
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither."

"Is the world less safe now than before you declared your Holy war? You bet!"
(DUK asking Americans, 14th June 2004)

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's a link to an article about this case

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/international.cfm?id=423392005

Minkman

Posts: 659 | Location: "The Muck", NJ | Registered: 10 April 2004Reply With Quote