THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    What Calibre to bring on a One-Gun Safari?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Calibre to bring on a One-Gun Safari?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 338User:
Here's what I plan to use. If I only take one gun it will be my 416 Rigby with 450gn Woodleighs at 2400fps for the big stuff, with a 1.5 - 5 Leupold zeroed at 100 yards, and express sights zeroed at 50 yards, and 300gn Barnes TSX at 2920fps for plains game, with a 2.5 - 8 Leupold zeroed at 220 yards. The scopes are in Smithson QD mounts and can be changed in about 5 seconds. One scope sits in the backpack, so whatever we see we will be able to set up the rifle and change ammo and scope quickly if necessary. I am hoping this will work well.
If I take two guns it will be a 338 Win Mag and a 505 Gibbs.

Here's one gentleman who has absolutely no problems with recoil Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree the 375 H&H is the one gun safari rifle. Like many folks I have to take two rifles most often 416 Rem and 30-06. I have taken cape buff with 375, ele, lion and hippo with 416. The 30-06 has shot a lot of plains game effectively.
It all comes down to bullet placement and what an individual shoots well. As the old saying goes beware the man who has one gun, he probably knows how to use it.

Tim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A .416 probably does kill better but if you're an experienced enough rifleman to handle the recoil you probably won't have to ask the internet first.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote