Picture of jorge
posted
I just found this:

Zimbabweans on US blacklist named

The Telegraph

By Peta Thornycroft in Harare

(Filed: 26/11/2005)

The United States has publicly blacklisted the business partner of Charles

Davy, father of Prince Harry's Zimbabwean girlfriend.

The list, published this week, declares Webster Shamu, policy implementation minister in President Robert Mugabe's office, one of many "specially designated nationals and blocked persons".

Mr Shamu, 60, is a business partner of the wealthy white farmer and safari-operator, Charles Davy, the father of Chelsy, 19, the prince's girlfriend of the past 18 months.

Mr Davy has always refused to distance himself from Mr Shamu, a Zanu-PF

leader and a close confidant and crony of Mr Mugabe's.

A US citizen found trading with any individual, company or entity on the

blacklist is liable to prosecution and a fine of up to $500,000 (£290,000).

The latest list was published by the US Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets

Control on Thursday and marks the first time those included have been named.

According to a White House statement, President George W Bush ordered US

authorities to "block the property of additional persons undermining

democratic processes or institutions in Zimbabwe, their immediate family

members and anyone assisting them".

The latest list expands sanctions already imposed by the US on 77

Zimbabweans in March 2003.

Designated officials would have received letters informing them of their

status as of Jan 1, this year, which also means they would not be

granted US

visas.

Mr Shamu was already on a similar EU list which includes a freeze on any

assets held in European banks.

Mr Davy rejected criticism of his association with a key member of Mr

Mugabe's inner circle in a June interview with The Daily Telegraph.

He said: "I am not involved in politics in any way but I reserve my

right of association, as any person should, and I really do not see that the leaders

of any political party have the right to choose my friends or my business

associates."

Mr Davy, 53, lives in a mansion in the rugged bush of one of Africa's

largest private game reserves, Lemco.

Thouhgts? jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
I think any White who still has private farms in Zimbabwe is either well connected usually with a "business partner" or has something on the farm the country or more importantly the high ranking gov't officials really need.

Some acquaintances of mine have friends still with a farm in Zim (from when I last heard) and they are one of two farms that supply Harare with virtually all its vegetables.

As for Lemco, I think the USA gov't might be planning to really turn the screws on hard-currency in Zimbabwe.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Sounds reasonable and fair to me at least not having any personal vested business interest in the place.

BUT of cource it is (always difficul for a local whom has to put his (life and interests) on the line and sell his soul and family jewels to keep his head above the water. Corruption and working with the devil are not new only in Zimbabwe, the secret of cource is we all need to make our own personal decisions in life within the law of cause and if we break the rules we must not maon when we get hit with the legal consequences

Life is tough for the private overses hunter nowdays especially when hunting in a country that is going down the tubes politically morally and economically

Unfortunately ignorance of the law is not an excuse anymore and we must therefore be circumspect and careful at all times

Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of crl
posted Hide Post
Where can a fella go in Africa that is not going down the tubes? It appears to me that they are all on the verge of complete collapse at any given time.

The average man's love of liberty is nine-tenths imaginary. It takes a special sort of man to understand and enjoy liberty; and he is usually an outlaw in democratic societies.

Posts: 379 | Location: MN | Registered: 29 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crl:
Where can a fella go in Africa that is not going down the tubes?

The hunting in Africa has been going down the tubes since white men first set foot on the continent. Go NOW while there is still some left to enjoy.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Can one of you more learned folks tell me what, if anything this really measn WRT to booking hunts? jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
Can one of you more learned folks tell me what, if anything this really measn WRT to booking hunts? jorge

You should not transfer money to or do business with someone on the Office of Foreign Assets Control list of Specially-Designated Nationals and Blocked Persons. The list is updated regularly, and it seems that many of Mugabe's cronies are being placed on it.

The foregoing is not intended to constitute and should not be construed as legal advice. Seek your own counsel. Trust but verify. Caveat Emptor. Objects in mirror are closer than they appear.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Media OUT of DATE as usual.

Charlie Davy sold out his shares in Famba Safaris - where he was a partner with Webseter Shamu - THREE WEEKS AGO.

Charlie Davy is also no longer involved in any way with HHK safaris.

HHK buy some quota from Famba safaris in Chirisa, but Shamu is not a partner in HHK, nor conected in any way.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Ganyana,

Thanks again for keeping the masses updated.

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
So, does this mean one should not hunt Chirisa since Shamu's company has the lease on that area?

Regards,

Terry

P.S.
Ganyana, does Davy still have the lease on Matetsi Unit 1?

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:
quote:
Originally posted by crl:
Where can a fella go in Africa that is not going down the tubes?

The hunting in Africa has been going down the tubes since white men first set foot on the continent. Go NOW while there is still some left to enjoy.

That's what I like about you, Grains. There seems to be no topic that you can't make sound even worse. wave
Dave

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charlie davey has sold the hunting rights on matetsi unit one to somebody else- a continuation of his fall out with his old partner

one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
So do I take it then that ( IN REALITY ) and to prevent any possible future legal action that (all clients hunting ZIMBABE or booking a hunt with anyone there) should (ask the outfitter or whomever they might be hunting with) to (sign and date) a formal document stating categorically they are NOT associated in any way shape or form with any of those on the banned list, and also to state the full name/s address and contact details of the bank account holder to which they would tranfer any moneys to

FYI /

Latest exchange rate, seems to be getting worse !

1.00 USD United States Dollars = 70,478.00 ZWD

Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Where can one find out who is in control of what concession?

Two of many articles on Davy.

Based on some of the information in the articles Shamu has been on the banned list for some time. This would have made involvement with HHK on a Famba concession illegal.

The falling out seems to be over the daughters boy friend.

http://www.newzimbabwe.com/pages/harry.12048.html

The Independent understands that in Matetsi 5 concession, seven units in the area were leased to ruling party and high-ranking government officials. Unit 1, which is currently trading as Matetsi Wildlife, is in the name of Eddie Kadzombe, Unit 2 Mike Chidziwa, Unit 3 Enos Dube, Unit 4 Jacob Mudenda, Unit 5 Shamu, Unit 6 Army General Constantine Chiwenga and Unit 7 Lovemore Chihota.

http://telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/0...5/06/11/ixworld.html

“HHK was started in 1998 and it is not based on any political patronage,†Davy said. “It was not then and it is not now. It does not have any hunting concession area of its own. HHK is not a concessionaire. HHK is a marketing organisation.â€

Information to hand indicates that HHK Safaris’ marketing wing, Safari Marketing and Management Services, market five hunting concessions with 15 camps. These are Chirisa owned by Famba Safaris, Unit 1 and Kasibi held by Matetsi Wildlife, Chete owned by Burmakino Travel and Tours, Omay by National Safaris and Lemco owned by Mazunga Safari.

But Mr Davy says that he was forced to take a "strategic decision" to sacrifice everything to keep his stake in Lemco. In his heyday, Mr Davy had bought four large farms, including the huge Charter Estates outside the capital, Harare.

These were handed over to the government in 2000. "A lot of farmers in Zimbabwe have lost their farms and I am no different," added Mr Davy.

Posts: 402 | Location: Tennessee, North Carolina | Registered: 01 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
Probably a lot more that should be on the list.
World is full of crooks these days.

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Folks, I've done some more research into this and I get the feeling there this whole isue is confusing by design. I think this Shamu gent bought Charles Davy out of HHK and HHK will be hunting Matetsi and Chirisa etc - but will not officially be hunting LEMCO, however, they will still be marketing hunts for the LEMCO Conserancy. Hunts done on LEMCO are hunted under a different safari company name. This is where I think the "smoke and mirrors" come in in that the connections have deliberately been obfuscated. That way people will be confused so folks suppose that HHK are the ones involved as they are always at the forefront hence, Mr. Davy's connection is shrouded as I understand Webster Shamu is a director of Charles Davy's conservancy LEMCO and therefore one can deduce anyone hunting at LEMCO could be liable for prosecution. It is the AREA, (that is LEMCO) and not HHK (the company)that can get us into trouble with the State Department. I'm looking to hunt Zim again soon, but I for one plan to do my homeworkto ensure I'm in compliance for obvious reasons. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Jorge

Wrong end of the stick. Lemco is owned by some 40 people, all but 3 of whom are American or German Nationals. Charlie Davy owns ONE property outright in the conservancy and a minority shareholding in all the others. He has distanced himself from Shamu as
A) his daughter is dating prince Harry and it is awkward to have direct connections with the Zim government
b)He is bulding up a new wildlife empire in Botswana and Mozambique.

Shamu is not and never has been a shareholder in HHK.

He is a 50% shareholder in Famba safaris.
His wife is a minority shareholder in Chete safaris.
Ed Kadzombe was a 10% shareholder in Matetsi Wildlife.

Charlie Davy was the other partner in these three companies as well as HHK.

Charlie has sold out his share in All four safari companies. - Who has bought those shares?? Only thing for certain is that Ed Kadzombe and General Chiwenga have taken over the remaining one year lease on Matetsi Unit one and apears to have bought Charlie out on that one.

one of us
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Jorge,

There hasn't been any obfuscation. Look at HHK's marketing literature of the last few years. It clearly states that HHK books for and is associated with Famba and Matetsi Wildlife, among others.

HHK (Hallamore, Hingeston, Koch) was started in 1990-1991, not in 1998 when C. Davy partnered up with them.

Posts: 1046 | Location: Kerrville, Texas USA | Registered: 02 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Gents: I admit that I'm just an outsider looking in, but I can read, I've spoken with many individuals either presently involved or past, and have hunted the Lemco Conservancy on more than one occassion.

Davy is very definitely still involved with Shamu and many of the owners get a bill at the end of each year for Shamu's US$ salary which they have to pay pro-rata. I would hardly call this being distant from him - it is very definitely deep involvement. Until I see clear evidence to the contrary, I'll have to be real careful to toe the line when it comes to hunting the area. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps this whole issue could be resolved with a letter to the U.S. Treasury Department asking for their view on U.S. citizens hunting Lemco or other HHK properties. Until Treasury tells us its view, we are all just speculating.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The political officer at the US embassy in Harare is Mike Hougaard. If concerned and you are a US citizen, give him a ring. I have mailed him asking if I can post hs email adress