Find
Notify
Tools

SHOULDER SHOT DISCUSSION
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted
Ladies and gentlemen. Since in my humble opinion the bulwark of this forum's expertise and brain trust reside in this forum, I ask your indulgence to visit the "Big Game" thread and comment on the subject at hand. Thanks, jorge

PS: Saeed, Terry or Don, if there is a better way to steer folks over there or you feel this post is redundant, please feel free to modify or delete as you see fit. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Thanks, George! well what do you think? jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I think the shoulder shot discussion has been done before but I agree with Mr. Seyfried 110%. I have never lost an animal shot through both shoulders with a proper rifle/bullet combination.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
bwanamrm: It has, just like a lot of other posts here, but there's a method to my madness over on the BG forum Smiler jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Compared to some here, I am a novice, but I was told in Africa where we were trophy hunting to hold on a broadside shot right behind the front leg and, on most animals, about 1/3'd up from the bottom of the animal (or 2/3'ds down). On other shots, I was told that a good rule was to aim at the front off-side shoulder, which puts the bullet through the on-side lung, possibly into a bit of the off-side lung, and into that area between the front legs where the heart and major blood vessels are.

This method offers a relatively large fatal target zone therefore a large margin of error. Unless you break more than one shoulder or hit the nervous system, the animal can remain mobile. A high hit can miss the shoulder and miss the vitals also. I have done this, and the impala just kept going although slowly.

Although we have had to track some animals hit in the heart-lung area, there was always an animal at the end of the trail. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote