Find
Notify
Tools

NIGHT FORCE OPTICS
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted
I visited their website after seeing one of these scopes on the range the other day.
Has anybody used them and what was your experience looks like they can take recoil as they have used it on .50 calibre rifles

http://www.nightforceoptics.com/

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMHO they are the best made scope on the American market. A bit heavy but worth it.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I admire them,they instill much confidence when you handle them..the made in USA label does not apply to the lenses, like leupold, the lenses come from jpan.
Maybe a little bit heavy, but I would suffer that If I was to use a rig where I just might drop the rifle down a steep rocky slope...There are cheaper scopes out there, but money saved in your wallet aint very helpful when your in a remote area with a broken scope.
the new nxs2.5-10x32 looks a winner.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used Night force on a 308 and a 50BMG Barrett.

Their optics are very good, maybe not quite as good as S&B Swaro or Zeiss, but very good. Their adjustments are very accurate.
They are rugged.
The only disadvantage, besides their weight, is that the reticle illumination is only adjustable when you remove the paralax knob[ at least it was that way on the models I have used.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NXS just requires turning of an external knob to adjust illumination. The whole scope feels so firm and positive in all its adjustment features.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rudi,

I had 3 S&B scopes that I sold and replaced with NXS.......the glass is not as true in colour rendition as a S&B or Zeiss but most models have at least 100moa of elevation and 80moa of windage. A lot more than any German scope. The adjustments are much more precise than a S&B.(I had to send a brand new S&B Klassik back to the factory because the adjustments froze)

I had a 3.5-15x50NXS on a 338-378 to work up loads for the gun...........it then went on a 300RUM, 7mmRUM and a 338RUM for the same purpose.......it has never missed a beat.

I put a 2.5-10x24NXS on the 338RUM that I took to hunt with Mike Kibble last year.........he shot dassies with it, off sticks at 350yards archer

They are evidently bringing out a 2.5-10X32NXS this year..........that'll will be the perfect scope for Africa.

Best scopes on the market.

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
I looked at the 1-4 for the 375 and 2.5-10 for the 308 . for the 243 i cant decide between the 3.5-15 or the 5.5-22 because i use the 243 for all our shooting comps upto 300m and long range culling.

i was impressed with the 8-32 that was on a bisley rifle that i saw he shot 2 groups of 3 that averaged 12.06mm at 200m. the owner shoots blesbuck with that gun at 600m. they magnification is just to big for me personaly but works for his aplication.

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go with the 3.5-15 over the 5.5.-22 mate.

I have both and the lateral eye relief is much more critical on the 5.5-22. Also you get too much mirage in climates such as ours with the 22X.

I have shot 'roos out to 800 yards with ease on a heavy barreled 264 and a 3.5-15 with a bipod, prone. A mate killed them with the same rifle out to 1100 yards...........

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
We did a roo hunt the last 2months from 22m with a cricket ball LMFAO

boom boom kaboom

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin thumb

Yeah we got a flogging!!

I'd put a 2.5-10 on your 375 rather than the 1-4.by the way.

There is NO shift in POI on these scopes with power changes either; even though they are 2nd focal plane reticles.......and that 338 shot .3 to .5 inch groups.

I have 6 NXS's now and one S&B 4-16 LR.....

Blair.

One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blair338/378:
Big Grin thumb

Yeah we got a flogging!!
AND DIDN'T YOU

NOT A BAD IDEA especialy if i use the 200gr GSC'S

There is NO shift in POI on these scopes with power changes either; even though they are 2nd focal plane reticles.......and that 338 shot .3 to .5 inch groups.

One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I bought a Nightforce scope on e-bay. It came in a white box. used it on one hunting trip and it worked well. The next year I noticed the eye piece was loose. I sent it in to nightforce. They called me when it arrived. It seems at one time someone was importing counterfit nightforce scopes to the States. They came in a white box. Nightforce offered me a replacement scope of my choice for a very reasonable amount. The counterfit scope was a duplicate of the real nightforce on the outside, but not on the inside, so they could not repair it. I feel nightforce took the extra step to satisfy a customer. Lesson learned here? Buyer beware!

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I have 3 Nightforce scopes:

2.5-10X NXS - Perfect for about any hunting you would like to do under 300 yards. The lighted reticle is easily turned on and adjusted by an exterior knob.

3.5-15X NXS - Good for longer ranges than 300 yards in my opinion. Changing the intensity of the illumination on the reticle is a bit cumbersome but I think it may be different on the newer models.

5.5-22X Varminter - A really big and heavy scope. It's good for varminting but I wouldn't want to lug it around very far.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a Nightforce scope for my 338 WM due to its reputation for durability. I have the 3.5x15x56 NXS with the NP-R2 reticle. I would not buy the NP-R1 reticle. Be sure to give special attention to reticle selection, otherwise you may be disapointed. Although they can change it for a fee. Mine weighs 31 ounces (according to NF) but that does not bother me when I consider the durability factor. The knob has to be removed on mine to adjust illumination. I don't see much need for changing it, so not an issue for me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
According to my owners manual, the compact NXS and the precision benchrest models have external adjustment knobs for illumination intensity. The standard NXS models do not.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 375 fanatic:
quote:
Big Grin thumb

Yeah we got a flogging!!
AND DIDN'T YOU

NOT A BAD IDEA especialy if i use the 200gr GSC'S

Rudi, if you plan on shooting the 200GSC's in your 375....definitely go with the 2.5-10x24 thumb Field of view is still great at 2.5X and the extra magnification makes it more versatile.

Choose your reticle carefully, as one of the other blokes said.......I have NP-R2 in all of mine, but you might go for something different in a 2.5-10x24 for a 375.

You won't be disapointed in a NXS. They are built like tanks.....

Blair.

One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
At one time I had 5 NF scopes on various rifles. Great scope for the $$. When they came out with the 2.5-10X24 I bought one and really liked it. It was mounted on an AR10 for many rounds a M70 458 win mag for about 300 rounds then went to my 416 rem mag M70 in preparation for a plans game hunt Nov 08. About 2 weeks before the trip my groups started to grow, then I notice just past 9X the focus was slightly out and continued to worsen. Removed NF and installed Leupold VX3 1.5-5, groups went back to normal and just in time! Contacted NF and they offered expedited service to get it fixed in time for the trip. I declined, I was snake bit at this point and perfectly happy with the Leupold which I have used for many years. The NF beat me back from Africa. I think from the time I shipped to the time it returned was under 3 weeks. The NF has been demoted to my Encore Muzzle loader. It has the FC2 reticle which I like very well but I prefer the German #4 in the VX3 illuminated scope. The scope was never abused in any way, dropped, kicked used as hammer etc. All rings used to mount this scope were lapped. I am sure my experience doesnt happen very often.

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
quote:

Rudi, if you plan on shooting the 200GSC's in your 375....definitely go with the 2.5-10x24 thumb Field of view is still great at 2.5X and the extra magnification makes it more versatile.

Choose your reticle carefully, as one of the other blokes said.......I have NP-R2 in all of mine, but you might go for something different in a 2.5-10x24 for a 375.

You won't be disapointed in a NXS. They are built like tanks.....

Like you know i use my 375 for a lot of aplications who needs a 300wm if you get 3200feet/sec with 200gr bullet my biggest problem so far is my scope is to small for long range shots LOl what a nice problem to have bewildered

Built like a tank priced like one aswell lol

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is the only problem with the Nightforce line.......no mid range scope for HUNTING!

A 3.5-12X42 would be perfect....though I have 4 of the 3-5-15X50's.....but you have target style knobs etc.

A scope is the most finicky piece of gear of a rifle........it pays to have the best to eliminate potential problems....thats where this "panzer" shines Big Grin

Blair.