New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chishakwe Ranch, Save Conservancy?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I see where Pro Safaris-Africa is now offering hunts at this ranch in the Save Conservancy. As far as I can tell from a web search, hunts have not been conducted on this ranch before -- at least not under the Chishakwe name!

Although I am familiar with Pro Safaris (Norman Crooks), I have never heard of this ranch before. Anybody know anything about the ranch, the accomodations, and the game there? Has it been being hunted under a different name?

Just curious, as I always recommend the Save, mainly Humani and Senuko, to friends seeking their first DG hunt, especially if they are taking their spouse (or mistress), as the lodges in the Save are second to none.

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
GAHUNTER

As far as game, accomodations etc are concerned, Chishakwe is comparable to anywhere in the Save Conservancy. Add Norman Crooks to the equation and hunters will be sure to enjoy a great hunting experience. My brother (Zambezi Hunters)used to hold the lease and conducted some highly succesful safaris there. Chishakwe used to be known as Devuli headquarters section, before it became part of the conservancy. Chishakwe is actually my musha (birthplace), so it is a special place for me. But I am not letting that fact cloud my judgment - it truly is an excellent hunting block. Reckon the owners and operators should probably pay me for this free marketing!

Dave

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GAHUNTER

We represent Pro-Safaris and the Chishakwe block. As David has stated the hunting is excellent with accommodation on par with what you would expect anywhere on the Save. Chishakwe is not large but Pro does not book it beyond its capacity so buffalo, leopard and plains game including sable are very good there. One good point is that they are far away from the "Vet" camps in the south of the Save.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
David, Mark,

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I know Norman Crooks has a pretty good rep, so I figured it was an ok place.

I notice that the lodge there is big with eco-tourists, which usually means that the accomodations are above average when compared to what most of us hunter-types are used to (a broken tent in the middle of an elephant walk, with the front encroaching the hippo slide, and the local lion pride's latest kill leaning against the right side, while the black mamba's winter hole on the left side lines up perfectly with the gap between the tent and the non-working loo, which is ok because there's too many scorpions in there anyway).

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
that eco-tourists share the same lodge could make for really interesting conversation over sundowners at night.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13396 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
that eco-tourists share the same lodge could make for really interesting conversation over sundowners at night.

I doubt they actually share the lodge with hunters.

GAHUNTER: Yes, the Chishakwe lodge is very comfortable but don't discount the presence of mambas, scorpions and lions!

Dave

one of us
posted Hide Post
That would be true, however the internet ads state that "no two groups will share the lodge at one time." So that keeps things like this from happening over dinner:

"What did you do today, Ms. Smythe?"

"Oh, we had a lovely day! We photographed oodles of wild animals, including a giant bull elephant at a waterhole. Oh he was so majestic! See, here's his photograph. How was your day, Mr. Jones?

"It was great! You know that bull elephant you saw? Well, your guide called our guide on the radio and told us which way he was headed. We then made a very exciting stalk, closing the distance to within 30 yards. Finally, he got our scent and turned to challange us, which is when I placed a North Fork flat-point solid in 458 Lott perfectly between his eyes. He dropped like a sack of pototos from the delivery truck! Look here, these are the digital pictures of me and the carcass. Man what a hunt! Uh, Mrs. Smythe, you alright? Mrs. Smy -- SOMEBODY CALL A DOCTOR:! SOMETHING'S WRONG WITH MRS. SMYTHE! "

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
quote:
"What did you do today, Ms. Smythe?"

"Oh, we had a lovely day! We photographed oodles of wild animals, including a giant bull elephant at a waterhole. Oh he was so majestic! How was your day, Mr. Jones.

"It was great! You know that bull elephant you saw? Well, your guide called our guide on the radio and told us which way he was headed. We then made a very exciting stalk, closing the distance to within 30 yards. Finally, he got our scent and turned to challange us, which is when I placed a North Fork flat-point solid in 458 Lott perfectly between his eyes. He dropped like a sack of pototos from the delivery truck! Look here, these are the digital pictures of me and the carcass. Man what a hunt! Uh, Mrs. Smythe, you alright? Mrs. Smy -- SOMEBODY CALL A DOCTOR:! SOMETHING'S WRONG WITH MRS. SMYTHE! "

Now there is a bunch of sundowners I wouldf like to be at!!

jumping

In fact the part of our winng shooting safari next year is in a shared resort, & the one thing I am concerned about is the mixture of hunters whith photo tourists... It could make for some interesting photos!!

FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fallow,

Just be sure to wear a blood-smeared shirt to the dining room in the evening and have lots of digital pictures of the game shot that day with you a dinner.

Makes for a nice conversation starter with the shutter bugs. Wink

One of Us
Picture of Dr. Tim Burkhart
posted Hide Post
David,

I thought Chishakwe was going to be available for sale in the not too distant future?? At least that was a rumor I heard floating around the Save.

I believe it is owned by a family from the RSA and that the daughter of the current owner was sort of not too hip on the "hunting" there. Perhaps rumors in the bush are best left there...but I knew a few guys that were thinking about an investment there in Zimbabwe.

Of course, given the current world-wide financial crisis, not too many people are going to invest in Zim right now.

All that being said, I have heard the hunting there is good as anywhere in the Save!

TJB

Posts: 166 | Location: Caledonia, Michigan | Registered: 15 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Hello Tim

Yeah, I also heard that rumour a while back but it seems to have fizzled out. Every now and then a property around these parts comes on the market and nobody buys it, ha ha. Guess it has something to do with the the global financial crises and the never-ending Zimbabwe crises. Chishakwe is a great block of wildlife country, to be sure. I don't know much about the current owners so am not sure how much of an aversion they have to hunting.
Best regards Tim, i hope you and yours are well.

Dave