One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I don't think so Bob.

Mike

Posts: 21669 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not yet. Spent some time with Paul Trethowan who is doing lion research in the Bubye. His feelings are it will be the first of the year. He bases that on his contacts in the states and there in Africa. He also thinks the ivory ban will be reversed then too. The reasoning behind it is it was all political. They can't reverse it now, that would show they made a mistake, plus the elections are soon. According to him, the lion will stay the same and the ivory ban will be reversed, they will go away very quietly. Let's hope.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I totally agree with Paul on one thing...it is totally political.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37750 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
I totally agree with Paul on one thing...it is totally political.

Lane, I agree that is more political than anything else! The percentages are 60% political, and 40% ignorance!

In any event, it will spell doom for the lion, as well as all African hunting eventually, and become a doom's day for all wildlife in the long run.
...................................................................... CRYBABY

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
i am sure the USFWS will make the announcement some time this decade.....

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13391 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Randy: I hope that Paul is right! By the way, where is your hunt report? Did I miss it being out of country? Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
We leave for Zim in 2 weeks and Beau has Lion on quota - No news is good new!! clap

As to my Ele, looks like everything remains in Zim. Thanks so much USF&W!! Mad CRYBABY

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I'd like to think people are right that the lion ban won't happen and the Tz/Zim elephant ban will be rescinded but I have my doubts on both issues.

I agree it's entirely political but usf&WS are such a bunch of anti hunting bastards I think they'll stick to their guns just as they have with the equally ridiculous ban on Moz elephant products.

time will tell.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Randy: I hope that Paul is right! By the way, where is your hunt report? Did I miss it being out of country? Big Grin

Have not had a chance, just got back Tues. Will post when I get the pics downloaded. My wife and Granddaughter went and will try to get them to put some insight into their thoughts.

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
I'd like to think people are right that the lion ban won't happen and the Tz/Zim elephant ban will be rescinded but I have my doubts on both issues.

I agree it's entirely political but usf&WS are such a bunch of anti hunting bastards I think they'll stick to their guns just as they have with the equally ridiculous ban on Moz elephant products.

time will tell.

Well I hope they do the right thing, but being rather cynical after the polar bear farce…… I doubt it. Then there was the bullshit with regards to wood bison. For me personally the USFWS are on a par with PETA and other such low life organizations.

They care not a wit for the local indigenous people, the science from some damn fine federal and provincial wildlife agencies, or the animal in question……… no, they are all about politics and maintaining the bureaucratic hierarchy.

Nothing like forcing your political will on other countries simply because you can. But I guess we should all be getting use to that by now.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1842 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote