THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    500 Jeff: 570g TSX vs 600 Woodleigh PP

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

500 Jeff: 570g TSX vs 600 Woodleigh PP
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted
Anyone have preferences between these two bullets on cape buffalo? I'm loading both of them to about 2150 fps in my 500 Jeffery. They both group sub MOA (3 shot groups at 100 yards) and feed well.

Thanks,

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4769 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Chuck, with out a doubt a TSX with the 500Jeffery you will simply destroy him. I would not be surprised that he would be "DRT" dead right there. That bullet will work just like a solid out of that big rifle.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Chuck, at 2,150 fps either bullet will perform well. The Woodleigh and the TSX will both open, penetrate, stay together and retain weight.

I have used both in my .500 A2, but I have always kept the Woodleighs at 2,200-2,300 fps maximum velocity.

Lately, I have switched over to the TSX, but that's because I like to drive it at 2,500 fps, which is much too fast for the Woodleigh.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13613 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I prefer the lower velocity so the 600gr Woodleigh is my choice.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanz2007
posted Hide Post
Excuse my ignorance but why is the Woodleigh preferred at lower velocity. Wouldn't the TSX still do its job at lower velocity?

Posts: 171 | Location: Homer, Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of emron
posted Hide Post
i have no experience with the 500 jeff, but considerable with the 505 gibbs with both bullets. I have tested the 505 TSX and Woodleigh bullets of similar wt extensively. In my opinion, the woodleigh has significantly less penetration.

Posts: 396 | Location: usa | Registered: 26 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Thanks all, if it gets warm next week I'm going to chronograph my 570g TSX, 101g H4895 with my chronograph. I remember it being faster than my friend's read last week. Also I bought my oldest son a Kimber Crimson Carry 45 for Christmas so I'm sure he's going to want to try it out.

Merry Christmas all, see you in Reno in January if you're going ...

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4769 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote