New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tall Tales - Review
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have just finished reading the Tall Tales book and found it both informative and entertaining. However, I feel that I must point out several glaring abuses of artistic license.
Firstly, I think it irresponsible for an author to abuse his position of being afforded the privilege of making historic record by purposely recording misinformation purely to settle old scores.
It will no doubt have brought great mischievous, internal amusement to Mr Charlton to have described for prosperity how one of the hunters mentioned in his book has a Cockney accent and hails from the East End of London when in fact he is from the North West of England and fiercely proud of his Lancastrian heritage.

This in itself could have been overlooked as simple and playful score settling, if it hadn’t been for the glaring omission from the book of a vital part of Mr Charlton’s own history.
For the record, and to ensure historical accuracy I feel it incumbent upon me to provide the missing facts.

During a Buffalo hunt in the Dande Safari Area in 2011 Buzz Charlton undertook a wager which surrounded the likelihood of it raining that particular day based solely on the appearance of the present cloud formation.
Mr Charlton’s very confident assessment of a totally dry day was based purely on the time of year and its historical weather patterns, however he had foolishly overlooked the fact that the other partner in the wager was an Englishman from the North West of England and everyone knows full well how much experience they have of precipitation.
In the event, the wager was made with a free Lion hunt as the prize.
As the book very accurately records there was rain and Buzz Charlton subsequently lost the bet. It can be noted it was at this point that the book’s narrative ends, however for the purposes of completeness I can confirm that the story does not end there.
As that evening progressed back at camp Buzz could be seen to struggle with his conscience with regard to the bet and especially with consideration to the cost of a Lion hunt.
Because of my generous English nature and the likely detrimental effects on Buzz’s partners health on hearing the outcome of the bet I offered him a gentleman’s way out.

Although not present on this particular occasion my wife had previously accompanied me on several past safaris and had sent along some gifts for the PH and staff.
I told Buzz that Teresa had sent him a swimsuit as a present and that his get-out for the bet was if he was photographed wearing it. This he very eagerly, and some may say foolishly agreed to, which just goes to show the strength of financial influences.

Readers of Tall Tales will note the absence of the aforementioned detail which I can only assume was an innocent oversight on the authors part.
I feel therefore that it would be looked upon as a helpful act on my part to redress that omission by including the photograph in question.

Posts: 559 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hilarious. Well written!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My goodness Rob...

jumping

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1143 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can't unsee that!

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does the subject regret:

A. Posing for the photo.

B. Not using larger ivory.

C. Not stuffing a sock into the outfit.

D. Not waxing properly.

E. Subject has no regrets and is proud of the image as captured in the photo.

Posts: 815 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Interesting story with corroborating evidence. Not able however to unsee that evidence.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do notice that Photobucket was indeed proud to host it.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Big Grin yuck

Posts: 1819 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if this was Buzz's inspiration for the illustration / photo adorning the cover of "Tall Tales"? ( Buzz holding the ivory )
Haven't read the book yet as I'm waiting for it to arrive but judging by the compliments so far it will be worth it.
I can't help thinking that a man courageous enough to allow a photograph so attired would unquestionably be the one to follow in sorting out the hairiest DG predicament. In an unusual way it speaks resoundingly of the mans character.
( Buzz, after reading this would cheaper day rates on my next hunt be possible ...haha !! )

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2089 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well that settles it, I'm not buying the book. However, I would accept a free copy to substantiate the sordid antics of the author as outlined by Mr. Jolly...a free copy that is!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
He got smarter...

I first met Buzz at airport, he only had to shave his head on a previous hunt when he lost a bet.

Posts: 444 | Location: Hudson Valley | Registered: 07 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
It appears that Buzz is quite the gambler... heck most business owners are gamblers in life.
However the picture just goes to show that he pays his debts.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1627 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
animal

~Ann

Posts: 19557 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
I remember this picture making its way on to some very nice business cards, as well.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Rob, Buzz certainly does like to play dress up. Perhaps you have not seen the CMS holiday greeting this year. Buzz has definitely been paying attention when he takes Zoe to ballet class.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can leave your hat on!

DRSS

Posts: 1974 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr Rob Jolly- I thought we had a truce!!!! Been a "fair Englishman" even if you are from the East End I have left a 3 week period for a safari in July for you to book. This will give me a chance to get even! Been an honourable man I know you will take this opportunity despite the unfortunate increase in daily rates Smiler

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm disappointed in both men. But I have tears (of laughter) in my eyes to the point I had to stop reading the book.

Dick Gunn

“You must always stop and roll in the good stuff;
it may not smell this way tomorrow.”

Lucy, a long deceased Basset Hound

"

One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
Buzz needs to realize that he should have stuffed a sock in the FRONT of the mankini, not the BACK!!

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote