THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Help identifying a Safari book and author..

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help identifying a Safari book and author..
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This one should be easy.
Many decades ago when I was maybe 8 years or less old, I found a book in our tiny school library called "On Safari" or maybe just "Safari". This was significant, because up until then I had just assumed that African hunting was something from the dim past and not something that was still happening. Once that discovery was made my path was set and it was just a matter of time until I made it there myself. You could even say that it did much to shape my life, simply because much of my life was planned around making enough money to make these things achievable.

Books and stories have blurred together,and I've long since forgotten the author, but I do remember there was one yarn about the hunter being treed by a buffalo and having to fish for .45 on the ground while distracting the bovine with a dummy made from his clothes. That seems rather fanciful now, come to think of it.

If someone could tell me the title and author I'd like to add it to my little collection.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
PM sent

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1849 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Could be 'Safari' by Bartle Bull. Abe Books has copies.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The book by Bartle Bull is very good. Some of his other stuff is trash, but Safari is good.

Posts: 10378 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Shit of load of them on Amazon

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
What dogcat said.

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skyline:
PM sent

If you found it, I'd like to know the same. I also have been looking for that story since reading it in English class in middle school [late 60's at Bingham Academy in Addis Ababa]. It was part of a book that may have also included "The Most Dangerous Game."

Barry

my attempt here http://forums.accuratereloadin...911027761#3911027761

Posts: 4885 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think that is the book, although it may have that particular story. I read the book in the seventies if that's any help.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike:

There's a book: Safari by Gail Tuchman
published in 2010. Has a lion cub on the
front cover. Any chance this is it?

I doubt much if this is the one you're looking for: "notation: for kids"

It's on: PaperBackSwap, I have a bunch of points there I'll never use. PM your mailing address and I'll be glad to have it sent to you.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Great True Hunts is fantastic. It is a 1950's or 1960's book.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
DL,
I have a copy of a small blue book, about 150 pages called "Safari" by Doug Allan. Probably published in the 50's or 60's if I had to guess. Could that be it?

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MIke:
Friend Jack went to look on Amazon, 4 copies of Elmer Keith's book: Safari, offered at $278.
Re: rehashing Roosevelt's African hunt. Jack has a copy of his signed by Keith somewhere on the shelf.

Said to get on: Addall books site and look it up. Also to look it up by Bartle Bull.

Good luck,
George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SI'm straining my memory now, but think I remember some other stories or details.

If memory serves, the writer tagged along with a friend of his fathers or perhaps grandfather. He got sick ion arrival in Africa and was left behind. Instesd of returning home he hired porters, bought equipment and caught up, thereby enraging the expedition leader.The man who sold him the equipment severely reduced the amount of guns he wanted to buy, and made him get three blankets instead of the single one he thought was all he needed because of his youth, vigor and natural toughness. One to lay on and two to cover up with. He did something, perhaps going hunting on his own that had him confined to camp shooting empty cans with an apparently limitless supply of ammo. He showed restraint by not shooting the full ones as well. They wouldn't tell the blacks to not listen to him so as not to upset the structure of the camp but he was required to promise not to misuse it again.

Amoung the hunting stories (once he was finally allowed to leave camp)was one of a rhino hunt. That one may have set my learning curve back a few years because to hear it told the method was to knock it down, approach closer and repeat as many times as necessary before a head shot could be administered. That may of had me believing that some rifles could knock over a rhino but couldn't kill it.

Another was the headman in a village securing their supplies against theft in a hut or kraal by stabbing his spear in the ground a cross the doorway. They may have been Massi. There was a story of hunting lion with the Massi with spear and shield although he used a rifle. That may have been the village where I was concerned that his cigarettes and whisky would last, but the local smoke and drink were a bit much for him.

Is any of this jogging any memories for anyone? I'm flashing back 40 years and might be confusing stories from other books.

one of us
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0A6XedTat4

Dogleg,

Could the book be "Safari Sagas" by Wallace Taber? The book was published in the early 50s and my copy has an approximately 3 x 3 square of zebra hide on the cover.

The youtube video is of Mr. Taber's hunting show discussing cape buffalo stories and hunting a wounded buff.

Hope this is of some help.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9502 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Amigo !

The book is called 'On Safari' .. by Theodore J. Waldeck .. Viking Press .. 1956.

I would be honored to send you my personal copy ...

P.M. me with a mailing address ...

I live in the Great White North ....

Cheers !

Scruffy

Posts: 1544 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
'On Safari' .. by Theodore J. Waldeck .. Viking Press .. 1956

Ladies and gentlemen; we have a winner!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats Mike, you asked at the right place!
Enjoy the read.
George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Maybe he will share. Can't find a copy online...

Posts: 4885 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb...on+safari+by+waldeck

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4471 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Once I had the authors name, dimly remembered fiction works like "The white Panther" and "Lions on the hunt" were brought back into focus. Well; Google sure didn't hurt either. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Was looking at 1956, not all the other years...thought it was a series. Got a 1940 printing ex-library used copy coming now. Cheers!

Barry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had intended to use the book to illustrate to my son how dreams are planted and how they can be realized. Obviously there's another lesson on the helpfulness and generosity of the shooting fraternity.

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
.ekoj on s'taht dnA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dogleg....there's a copy of "On Safari" by waldreck even as I type.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to the generosity of our very own Scruffy, I've got a copy in my hand right. It also appears he is an author in his own right.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an electronic copy of "On Safari" by Armand Denis, published 1963. Got it from the Gutenberg Project. If anyone wants a copy please send me a PM with your email address.

Regards
Saeed

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Got mine! Thanks to AR friends all of y'all! The story was included in a textbook for English class taken from Waldeck's book.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...461099912#4461099912