THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    My wife taught the Endangered Species Act.

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My wife taught the Endangered Species Act.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My wife teaches 4th grade science at the local school. This year she had to teach the Endangered Species Act. She is not a hunter, but respects hunting.

The school curriculum detracts that she incorporates some form of tech in to so many lessons. Basically, the school says we got a grant for smart boards or whatever so you are going to use it.

So, she is playing a video and the narrator is listing the various glamour animals on the ES List: elephant, rhino black and white, brown hyena, and snow leopard. Then the narrator says all these animals have been brought to the brink by hunting.

My wife turned off the video. She pulled up stats about how many elephants were lost after Kenya closed sport hunting. She found one of John Humes’ ranch on you tube and played that. She explained that he was not hunting white rhino, but raising them like sheep and the horn was the wool would grow back. She explained that the horn and toenails of the rhino are basically he same thing p, but poachers kill the rhino, cut the horn off and leave the feet. She informed them that there had not been legal hunting of snow leopards since the 70s and using an article from Sports Afiled explained how hunting is bringing back Markhor. That by bringing back Markhor with responsible, conservation minded hunting snow leopard numbers were increasing.

A student asked about deer here at home.
She pulled up a bunch of statics about the decline of game populations through market hunting at the turn of the century. She then pulled up facts on President Theadore Roosevelt and the North American model of conservation.

Yes she brought up and showed them the B&C ethics of fair chase.

She explained that our bag limits for deer are comparable to the qouta for buffalo or elephant in Africa. In general terms she tied both to carrying capacity.

Finally, she took out pictures and video of our trip to Austria. First, she showed a large open pit quarry about an hour drive from our hunting area. Then she showed video and pictures of us hunting on the othe next limestone ridge up. She played the video where we stalked into a breeding group of Red Stag. She concluded that what keeps that area from being turned into a large open pit was the dollars generated by huntersthat keep the habitat and animals there. She showed a picture of a Fox we saw and told them non game species benefit from the revenue and habitat procured by hunting game animals.

Her test is going to have an open response question: What is the difference between a hunter and a poacher?

I love her. The war may not have been won yesterday. No rhino or tigers were saved, but a small victory was gained. The kids often heathens ate it up. Which underscores an unprovable truth to me. Humanity longs to hunt.

Posts: 12050 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
beer to Mrs. LHyem500

Well done!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37774 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And that is what good teachers do.

Kudos to her.

Posts: 10977 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Well done to her. A key point in this is that the younger generation generally KNOW nothing of the details regarding these topics. First impressions are everything, and when we are beat to the punch, statements such as in the video become dogma.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats great,
Wish we had more teachers like your wife!!!

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A great Teacher.

I have pictures of many of my African animals posted in my classroom. I have conversations many times about conservation.

Fortunately, I live in a small community that supports hunting.

Your wife should be commended.

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's great teaching.

BUT: what's the politics of that school/district?
By teaching the real truth, is her job in danger??
So many places have such anti managements
telling the truth will get 'em canned.

Good luck, hope she can stick with it and make a real difference.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6007 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jan Dumon
posted Hide Post
Good for her tu2

Jan Dumon
Professional Hunter& Outfitter
www.shumbasafaris.com

+27 82 4577908

Posts: 774 | Location: Greater Kruger - South Africa | Registered: 10 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
That's great teaching.

BUT: what's the politics of that school/district?
By teaching the real truth, is her job in danger??
So many places have such anti managements
telling the truth will get 'em canned.

Good luck, hope she can stick with it and make a real difference.

George

Her position is secure. She could quiet tomorrow if she wanted to. A strange person all around one who works who does not have too. The administration is not hostile more like incompetent. Those folks (good teachers)are truly lions lead by lambs. But I am biased.

Posts: 12050 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Superb!!

Posts: 1815 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Well done ma'am! And thanks for bringing some facts into the classroom instead of emotion.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Sounds like she did an excellent job.

Good for her, and good for the school for letting her teach it honestly.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Hats off to your wife!

I wish we had more teachers like her.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68658 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
WELL DONE!!!!!!!!! tu2 tu2 tu2

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We need more like her, good job. If a teacher did that here in Seattle, they would lose their job.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm glad to hear of a teacher willing to show some courage in today's academic environment.

She has my respect and gratitude.

Posts: 481 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: 20 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Boy i wish you had produced that for others to use.

Job well done.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1626 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am glad she taught it, but I think I find it more impressive that the school let her.

Has anyone else seen the report that supposedly a High School Principal in New Prague, Minnesota removed a student that was carrying a sign that had "Guns Don't Kill People-People Kill People" during the "Walk Out" protesting the school shootings.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic teaching! Give students good data and allow them to draw their own conclusions. Often educational resources are nothing more than mindless propaganda. Too often there is no distinction drawn between poaching and regulated legal hunting in teaching curriculum.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OUTSTANDING Mrs. Heym!!!!!!!!!!!

My wife has been a teacher for almost 30 years. She has done that kind of stuf as well, it falls on open minds and excited ears!!!!!

Great job!

Posts: 42341 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We need alot more teachers like her ! The other teachers brainwash.kids against hunting !

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent. Wish we had more teachers like your wife around. Sounds like she did a wonderful job.
Bruce

Posts: 376 | Location: Gillette, Wy USA | Registered: 11 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
I am glad she taught it, but I think I find it more impressive that the school let her.

Has anyone else seen the report that supposedly a High School Principal in New Prague, Minnesota removed a student that was carrying a sign that had "Guns Don't Kill People-People Kill People" during the "Walk Out" protesting the school shootings.

Interesting you bring this up. My son engaged in the walk out as well only he wore his NRA hat and Second amendment shirt. The function was supposed to be non-political but the first speech given was on gun control. When he returned to class his classmates who did not participate asked him how it was. He proceeded to give them his opinion on what a waste of time it was and that they hadn't missed anything because it was not what it was supposed to have been. His butt-hurt teacher proceeded to pull him out into the hall and intimidate him on respecting the people that are struggling with the recent events. His reply was that " I was simply giving my opinion when asked. Don't I have the right to my own opinion and express it when asked?" Upon which he received a huff and she stormed back into the room.

Interesting note.His school which I thought was pretty left leaning has a student population of over 1400 had less than 200 actual take part int eh walkout. Staff were very disappointed.

NRA Life Memebr

Posts: 91 | Location: Holt, Michigan | Registered: 28 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LHeym500

Give your wife a hug for me and tell her "Well Done". She deserves it.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13005 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lechwe:
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:

Interesting you bring this up. My son engaged in the walk out as well only he wore his NRA hat and Second amendment shirt. The function was supposed to be non-political but the first speech given was on gun control. When he returned to class his classmates who did not participate asked him how it was. He proceeded to give them his opinion on what a waste of time it was and that they hadn't missed anything because it was not what it was supposed to have been. His butt-hurt teacher proceeded to pull him out into the hall and intimidate him on respecting the people that are struggling with the recent events. His reply was that " I was simply giving my opinion when asked. Don't I have the right to my own opinion and express it when asked?" Upon which he received a huff and she stormed back into the room.

Interesting note.His school which I thought was pretty left leaning has a student population of over 1400 had less than 200 actual take part int eh walkout. Staff were very disappointed.

That teacher needs fired , but will probably be given a commendation.

Thank you all. I showed this to her this afternoon, and she genuinely appreciates it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a daughter in law who is a teacher. She is the first one in line for my game meat, but will not allow me to take any of my grandkids hunting or shooting. She was not like this until she drank the NEA coolaid.
I am a retired veterinarian. When one of my daughters was in first grade (over 30 years ago) I got asked to make a presentation to a group of first graders for "National Pet Week". My daughter's teacher was not anti-hunting but warned me that one of her colleagues was. I arrived at the school early. As I walked in, the anti teacher was explaining to the first graders about predators and prey to the large group of first graders. She ended by describing how "prey" has their eyes located on the sides of their skulls so they can "see the threat", and predators have their eyes directly in front of their skulls. She looked at me with a self-righteous smirk on her face and asked me if I had any comments to make. I responded by saying, "yes, Ms. XXX, and where are human's eyes located?". The other teachers had to stifle their laughter and the anti turned red as a beet. Fond memory.

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 488 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
give that teacher a raise

Posts: 87 | Location: oklahoma | Registered: 27 December 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Smart Lady

Posts: 590 | Location: Georgia pine country | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That teacher needs fired , but will probably be given a commendation.

Because she is towing the narrative line so many Americans believe in.

Your wife did an excellent job.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my mind it is not that the teacher is opposed to the Second Amendment. It is the singlioout of a student who expresses a non violent, minority (to that class or school) view point.

The fair exchanges of ideas is what intelligence and this republic is built on.

I sometimes wonder in Trimble what would have happened if this new model of free speech, debate, and intellectualism would have been in practice during the debate to declare independence or struck a Federal Government.

Thomas Jefferson: Mr. Calhoun you are a meanie. You should respect the lives of everyone. You are not allowed to speak.”

John Calhoun: Jefferson you should have been named Jefferdaughter. You are a snow flake and have small hands. Do you need your safe space in Monticello?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the best things SCI does is educating educators about conservation. My Chapter tries to send at least one teacher every year.

http://safariclubfoundation.or...an-wilderness-school

Posts: 2392 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
We definitely need more teachers like your wife.It is great she took the time to make the extra effort.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ohiosam:
One of the best things SCI does is educating educators about conservation. My Chapter tries to send at least one teacher every year.

http://safariclubfoundation.or...an-wilderness-school

Can you give us more info about this program? Oh, I see the link.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine is a former high school GOVERNMENT/HISTORY teacher who was threatened with firing by a principal because he had an NRA calendar on the wall of his classroom. It extolled the merits of the 2nd Amendment - and had - God forbid - pictures of GUNS!

LHeym - give her a hug from me. I love footsoldiers on the front lines of truth!