Find
Notify
Tools

405 WINCHESTER AND MY NEXT BUFFALO
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted
Ok, since some of you were complaining of "dullness" around here, I figured this might stir up some "discussions". I'm planning on a two buffalo Tanzania hunt for 2013 and in addition to my soon-to-be delivered Verney Carron 450NE and of course my scoped Mod 70 in 375 just in case I need to get serious Smiler I've decided to take my new Model 1895 TR Safari Commemorative in 405 for that second buffalo.

I figure if it was good enough for TR and a WOMAN could do it, I can certainly do better with modern bullets.

I've developed a good accurate load using 300gr TSXs as well as North Fork softs and their nifty 300gr solid (three shot group below). All three loaded to 2200-2230 fps with accuracy as shown below at sixty yards. Well boys, what do you think and please no 45/70 jokes! jorge

http://www.bunduki.com/bob/images/tr-rhino-1895.jpg

http://www.bunduki.com/bob/rifle/TR-Safari-1895-2.jpg
http://i1211.photobucket.com/a.../jorgeIg/1895tgt.jpg

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
My recollection is that they have a nice Manton double on Guns International in .405 Win for around $8000. That would be fun to hunt with! With today's powders and bullets and the right shot placement, I do not know why it would not work.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 !

I like the idea of the 1895 - the action surely can handle higher pressures given that it is often chambered in 30-06!

Go for it man!!! tu2

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
It's a sweet handling rifle gents and very easy to load for. The other bonus is the factory Hornady stuff shoots to POI so you can practice with them as well.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a friend that has one of the Clark double rifles in .405 and he took a Cape Buff with it in Botswana, no problem.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1929 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go for it!! My son and I took a buff each with a Ruger #1 in .405 in Zim a few years ago.

DRSS

Posts: 1168 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
It should work for a one gun safari. Why not do both buff with it?

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Because I just dropped some heavy coin on a double and by GOD I'm gonna kill something with it! Smiler

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good luck and take lots of pictures

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jorge,

Are you using the original sites? I would think a ghost ring would serve nicely and not take away from the "Traditional" aspect of the rifle. In fact I've seen '95's with a couple different original peeps.

I'm a big fan of the TSX for big stuff so I don't see why your 405 wouldn't work nicely.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn'd right!!! Greeat pic!

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:

So Doc, details man! range, bullet used, shot placement! Smiler

Mark, I'm using the original sights. The receiver is nitrite colored and I could only find blued ones and they looked like hell. I'm pretty good with them though.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

one of us
Picture of FOsteology
posted Hide Post
I don't see why not. After all, it worked for TR and Osa back in the day!

Posts: 1181 | Location: Texas | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I seem to recall a show on Under Wild Skies where Tony Makris shot a buffalo with his 95. No problems! Craig Boddington's daughter and I believe his wife have shot buffalo with a Ruger #1 in 405. I think it would be great fun!

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
I bought one of the Winchester Miroku 1895 take downs in 405 a few years back. I put a pachmayr decelerator recoil pad on it and replaced the sights with a blade front and receiver peep from XS sights.

I just got some of the Barnes TSX bullets for it. What load are you using with that bullet? The factory ammo shoots great but I am not a big fan of Hornady bullets for game larger than whitetail.

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I'm using 55.5gr of Rl-15 and Fed 210 primers.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
300gr at 2200 fps+ What's not to like about that? I think it'd be a fun thing to do for sure...

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
300gr what? factory hand load? sorry!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Sir. I will try the Re15. I use that in my 35 Whelen.

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
jorge,
good for you! My guess is the 405 will have the same effect as a 375 in the field. I look forward to reading about your sucessful hunt!

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Have to book it first boys! I'll keep U posted

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Jorge,

While I think the 405 would be a fine round for Cape buffalo in your capable hands, I'm bettin after you take your first buff with the V-C 450NE you're not gonna want to leave it in the case for the second. beer

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
It will depend on the circumstances when we find ol' MBogo

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Jorge: I think the double for buff No. 1 and the 95 for No. 2 makes perfect sense.
When we discuss lever guns, we almost always devolve into .45-70 discussions, but the fact is a lever action makes a lot of sense for fast follow ups.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Bill, the latest target. the three in the bullseye are two NF softs and one solid. the two above are TSXs before sight adjustment. Range is 60 yards. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
A woman shooting a buffalo with a single shot? I remember the rash of sh*t I got asking about using a single shot for buffalo when I first posted here a few years ago. Maybe things have changed (for the better!).

As for the 405, go for it.

Posts: 1033 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
That's not a single shot. It holds four down...

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
I know it's a lever action repeater. It's just that the discussion also included a number of references to single shots in .405. I'm not looking to turn the thread into a discussion of single shots for buffalo or other dangerous game however. It was an aside. I think it's great the OP is planning the hunt with what TR chose.

quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
That's not a single shot. It holds four down...

Posts: 1033 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jorge

I have shot cape buff with a 450 No2, a 450/400 3/14", and a 9,3x74R.

I would have no problem shooting them with a 405 WCF in an 1895, and the loads you mentioned.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Been there and done that using 400 grain .411 diameter Woodleighs (after the magazine was extended about 1/16" so that the bullets can be seated at the cannelure). I think they chrono'ed at 2010 fps or so. Buffalo didn't like it a bit.

I put on a period model 21 Lymsn peep that had a large apperture and a flip up fine one. I also put an Uncle Mike's barrel band swivel and a good recoil pad. Roger Ferrell did the work for me, so it everything, including slicking up the action, was perfect.

I still have it if you want to see it, Jorge.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7714 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I'd love to see it Ernest. And besides, I owe you a lunch. Maybe next week? I can come up from KB. Also I'm thinking of putting a barrel band on mine. Silly question but can that affect POI in any way?

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Jorge:

Never shot it before I put the barrel band on, but I wouldn't expect but a smidgen of difference.

I don't know my schedule yet (haven't been back to the office) but I'll try to call you today.

I think you like the sight mods and the recessed rear sling insert.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7714 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Roger. I'll be in the office until 1500.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
Jorge:

I put a Uncle Mike's barrel band on mine after I had using it for awhile and it did not change POA/POI.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
great, thanks! I need to do this to mine.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
jorge,

I'll let the other guys talk about loads and ballistics. I just want to say that I like your spirit, hunting a buffalo with a Model 1895, like TR and Osa did. Very cool. I know it's a ways off, but good luck on your hunt, and I'll look forward to your hunt report and photos!

Glen

Posts: 282 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 20 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
thanks!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My pal in Namibia got an original 95 in 405 from a farmer there. It was stamped with a proof for a cordite load and 300 grn bullet. I couldnt help myself so borrowed it to shoot warthog, kudu and a couple duikers. I wish I knew the whole story behind the rifle.

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Back when the only 405 new guns were conversions by Krieger I had him build me one with the full intention to take it to Zimbabwe. After I got it I found no easy way to use 400gr Woodleigh solids in it and get the velocity required to equal 450/400's. Tried recutting the cannelures on some bullets with little success and the extension of the magazine for what I considered an adequate amount didn't seem practical so I abandoned the project. For sights I installed an ERA island rear with wide 'vee' and a Masterpiece ramp with red fiber optic adjustable for elevation. VERY happy with the sight combo. I was trying to duplicate the sights I had on an SR20 straight pull. Wish now I had continued my search and taken it to Zimbabwe.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote