Find
Notify
Tools

Taking photos of people
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted
So when traveling through Africa for the most part there are no problems taking photos of people, I really like taking portraits and just the normal life of people.

The best photos imo you take when the person are not knowing about the camera, this can cause problems in some areas (street photography)...Usually in big cities etc its no problem but coming out on the country side and maybe where religion are more strict it can cause a small riot if you not ask etc first.

The top half of Africa is predominately muslim, is there a big no no to take photos of muslims?

How do you feel when people are snapping photos when you are walking down the street?

Anton

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I enjoy street photography and I try to be discreet as possible...personally, I don't like someone taking a photo of me or my family...not part of my culture here in Hawaii, but if they ask I'd be more than happy to oblige Wink

So I'm not a good person as I don't practice what I preach Big Grin

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
In RSA, I didn't want to walk the streets without a local. I went curio shopping, but tried to avoid looking like a "gringo" (a term used going to Mexico), but I assume it applies.

I assume they can pick us out easily. Henry at riflepermits.com (or others of the same business) should add tour guide services. I don't think I'd be that comfortable exploring major SA cities without a local white or black. It doesn't matter, foreign hunters are pegged. Yes, I was wearing civilian clothes.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3442 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
In N. Africa (my neck of those woods anyway) it is really considered polite to ask permission first if photographing someone specific. I can't imagine this would not be considered proper in most parts of the world. In general "street photography" terms though, I think a photographers big concern here is not getting someone in a shot who does not want to be there, but rather taking photos that make it look like you are in some way getting off on the poverty or, even worse, photographing things that, in a general sense, might make the country look bad to any viewer of the image.

I was once photographing some amazing tombs in the Northern Cemetery in Cairo (an area that also happens to house a good number of permanent residents) and we annoyed one local who said to us, "There are plenty of nice places to photograph in Egypt, go there!" It took some explaining that we were not photographing the impoverished people who live in "the city of the dead" or the garbage or the urban decay...but rather the magnificently ornate tombs. I guess the moral of the story is to never assume that others understand your intentions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DCS Member:
In RSA, I didn't want to walk the streets without a local. I went curio shopping, but tried to avoid looking like a "gringo" (a term used going to Mexico), but I assume it applies.

I assume they can pick us out easily. Henry at riflepermits.com (or others of the same business) should add tour guide services. I don't think I'd be that comfortable exploring major SA cities without a local white or black. It doesn't matter, foreign hunters are pegged. Yes, I was wearing civilian clothes.

Are you talking about JOhannesburg? I have been mostly been in Cape Town and POrt elizabeth and have walked most places without a local. If you are with locals try buying some drinks in a shabeen at night in the middle of a townshipWink An experience you could say!!

Posts: 1091 | Location: Norway | Registered: 08 June 2012Reply With Quote