THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Have you ever had a spur of the moment, last minute safari?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have you ever had a spur of the moment, last minute safari?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted
We were talking at lunch about planning a last minute trip and where we would go.

That got me wondering.....

Assuming you went to bed Sunday night with no thoughts of booking a hunt, and woke up Monday, determined to go to Africa as soon as possible.

Have you done that?

What was your shortest flash to bang time on going on safari?

What was the shortest amount of time between your first click of the mouse or calling your agent until pulling the trigger to check your zero?

Thought it might be fun to live vicariously though others tonight!

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not as fast as some I am sure but 3 weeks after I received a email from a Zim PH I was there.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1329 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I have taken advantage of several end of season, discounted hunts but have usually had a month or two to plan before I flew out.

Most of these hunts have turned out very well...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
One mourning I received an E-Mail. I made a call 5 minutes later and asked how soon I could go? The PH wasn't available for three week. I left 19 days later.

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't but my late friend Bill Steigers got a call one night (actually early one morning about 3AM). a friend told him that a person that had booked a hunt was now unable to go and that bill could go at a fraction of the regular price, but that to get the deal Bill had to get the funds wired when the banks opened and get his gear ready because the hunt was scheduled to start in about 3 days. Bill went but had several issues with how the hunt went. One of which was not getting his rifles through customs until the hunt was nearly over and his Trophy cape Buffalo head being "lost in the mail". I do recall that he made a side trip to Scotland on the return trip and had a wonderful Red deer hunt which more than made up for the disappointments in Africa.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Not Africa, but I've done spontaneous trips to Argentina. The shortest being five days from ticket purchase to wheels up. However, I've been going quite a bit the past few years and sometimes I'm needed there and make it happen. My average is maybe 3-4 weeks from click to wheels up.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Yes. A week and a half. Trip to Zimbabwe in 2007 for leopard. Was successful. tu2

Administrator
posted Hide Post
My flight school course was about two months away, and I was reading DEATH IN THE LONG GRASS by Capstick.

I thought I might go to Africa and have a bit of fun like Capstick has written about.

Bought a hunting magazine, found an advert by the Klinebegers in Seattle, and as I was in Seattle, I went over to see them.

I told them I wanted a full bag 21 day safari, and I couldn't careless where it was!

I was informed that an opening in two weeks time was ready, in Zimbabwe.

That was my first African hunt, and if it was not for Capstick, and a two month break from flight school, might never have happened.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Other than the issues with traveling with my own guns and the core issues I have little desire to kill stuff outside of impalas and maybe a bush pig. I am game.

Everything I have planned long term in Africa in the last few years has always had issues.

I would like to get on a emirates flight and go to Zim/Botswana on short notice.

I am going to panama on 1 weeks notice to maybe fish. But it is a 3.5 hr flight and a easy city to hang out in till fishing opens up.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
Other than the issues with traveling with my own guns and the core issues I have little desire to kill stuff outside of impalas and maybe a bush pig. I am game.

Everything I have planned long term in Africa in the last few years has always had issues.

I would like to get on a emirates flight and go to Zim/Botswana on short notice.

I am going to panama on 1 weeks notice to maybe fish. But it is a 3.5 hr flight and a easy city to hang out in till fishing opens up.

Mike

Very sad to hear that Mike!

Those issues you encountered, where they not foreseen and taken care off??

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"My flight school course was about two months away, and I was reading DEATH IN THE LONG GRASS by Capstick".

Saeed:

That was many sand dunes ago and their features have been altered by the the desert winds much like your favourite action packed videos and author that have replaced hunting novels with what appears to be resounding success by modern day values.

Something suggests that the author of these action-packed movies may have been a fan of Capstick's as he seems to have adopted one word: "Death" from the quoted novel, possibly in memory of or to idolize the gentleman:
Death Rush, Death by the Ton, Death at My Feet, Death on the Run, Black Death, In the Face of Death, Death and Double Rifles, to name some.

Possibly out of respect, the title "Death in the Long Grass" does not seem to have been repeated in his repertoire of films.

Posts: 2035 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, a couple of times. Turned out great. The agent I work with made it happen. I hope to do it every year. Adds to the fun.

Posts: 10362 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Decided to go on Oct 31, and left November 19th we just decided to go and not even hunt, just be a "tourist".

Went to the same ranch we usually do, and did nothing for 10 days.

one of the best trips we ever made.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My friend Sam Pancotto used to keep his rifle, ammunition, and clothes packed and waiting. If he got a call from a PH that a hundred pounder was seen he would be gone on the next available flight.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9484 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:

Mike

I missed a hunt in 2015 because my Aunt was sick. Had to cancel 2 days before the flight. Was going to hunt with the admiral/subsailor74. My rifle and hunting gear sat in my bedroom for 7 months. Work got busy and could not reschedule and then my ph got shot in his foot.

This year looked like it was going to be a repeat but was able to make the trip.

I just have issues planning a hunt 6-9 months in advance. Stuff just happens. But last minute is easy as I have better visibility 1-3 weeks.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kathi:
My friend Sam Pancotto used to keep his rifle, ammunition, and clothes packed and waiting. If he got a call from a PH that a hundred pounder was seen he would be gone on the next available flight.

He had things right. I wish we could hear his stories.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kathi:

That is my perfect way to do it. Have everything prepacked and get on a plane when the opportunity arises.

Technology helps - wifi on planes, wifi in camp and much improve cell/data in Africa allows one get away but still stay in touch if needed.

I am going to panama this weekend - if the fishing and weather is good I will fly from Panama City to David and go to Boca Chica and fish. If the fishing and weather is not I will stay in Panama City.

That is doable cause the flight is 3.5 hrs to panama city and hotels are $100 a night. Get there and last minute decide if it is worth fishing ($1500 a day for the boat) depending on the weather and the bite.

Problem is Africa is just far - it took me 68 hours door to door getting back from save in July.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Nevada Wapati
posted Hide Post
I saw an end of season leopard hunt advertised on a Friday. E-mailed the outfitter immediately. I called him the next day (Saturday) and booked the hunt. I them booked plane tickets and packed. At 6am the next day (Sunday) I was on the plane, enroute to Namibia.
it all happened so fast that I didn't realize it or relax until I was pulling away from the gate at the airport.
The hunt went off without a hitch and I was successful in taking a beautiful leopard.

Posts: 402 | Location: Carson City | Registered: 17 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes I have, and it turned out very good. Jeff Neal had a last minute end of the season buff hunt in Zambia. If I remember right it was about three weeks from confirming with Jeff to landing at Chickwa. Not exactly spur of the moment, but pretty quick.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The fastest I've ever done was 3 months from booking to getting there, and that felt rushed. The hunt went well, but that is hardly a quick turn around!

Posts: 10988 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:

Mike

I missed a hunt in 2015 because my Aunt was sick. Had to cancel 2 days before the flight. Was going to hunt with the admiral/subsailor74. My rifle and hunting gear sat in my bedroom for 7 months. Work got busy and could not reschedule and then my ph got shot in his foot.

This year looked like it was going to be a repeat but was able to make the trip.

I just have issues planning a hunt 6-9 months in advance. Stuff just happens. But last minute is easy as I have better visibility 1-3 weeks.

Mike

I was in the military for 20 years, have spent the majority of my adult life overseas. I haven't been to a single funeral of any loved ones that have died. Just hasn't been an easy thing to do, and I generally didn't fancy the idea of blowing $3000-6000 to get home in a hurry.

I would probably go when my parents passed, but if I have a safari I am leaving for in a week. Probably not.

If something should happen to my wife or kids. I doubt I would have the same moxy for adventure but who knows.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
My father claims that the living do not have to follow the time schedules of the dead.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Three times.

Leopard and 4x buffalo in 2010.
Double buff in 2011.
Bongo in 2016.

Each scheduled about a month before.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Mike

Mike,

Are you going to Tropic Star??

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1298 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Blue Devil:
quote:

Mike

Mike,

Not going to tropic star but it is on my bucket list.

Going to Boca Chica - south of David but northern panama on pacific coast.

Raining so weather is suspect. Heard marlin bitting and small tuna. My guess is this will be a toss up at best.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
7 days from receiving the call in CA to shooting a bull Ele in Zim back in 1998. And yes, everything fell perfectly into place.

I had just returned from safari 3 weeks earlier, so everything was ready to go again.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mike

Mike,

Raining so weather is suspect. Heard marlin bitting and small tuna. My guess is this will be a toss up at best.

Mike

We were at Tropic Star about 4 weeks ago, and the bit was not very good.

We fished 4 days with the following results:
Day 1 - Nothing
Day 2 - 7 Sailfish
Day 3 - 2 Roosterfish and 1 Amberjack
Day 4 - 1 Blue Marlin

Of the 5 boats fishing, we had the best results. One of the boats, only caught 2 dorado in 4 days of fishing. The lodge was great but the fishing was disappointing.

We arrived a day early to fish in the Panama Canal for Peacock Bass. That was fun. My son caught peacock bass that was a little over 7 pounds.

I hope you have better luck offshore than we did.

Go Duke!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mike

Mike,

Mike

Day 1 - Nothing
Day 2 - 7 Sailfish
Day 4 - 1 Blue Marlin

Of the 5 boats fishing, we had the best results. One of the boats, only caught 2 dorado in 4 days of fishing. Another boat caught 2 marlin on day 1, but then only caught 1 sailfish and 1 dorado over the next 3 days. The lodge was great but the fishing was disappointing.

We arrived a day early to fish in the Panama Canal for Peacock Bass. That was fun. My son caught a peacock bass that was a little over 7 pounds.

Go Duke!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never done a last minute but I would for a suitably discounted sable hunt.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Gould:
I have never done a last minute but I would for a suitably discounted sable hunt.

Give me some numbers.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9954 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Sometime back got a call from Leon Kachelhoffer and sorted out a safari in a half a day. By the time him and Mike drove in we had a nice little fly camp set up in the middle of what has to be some of the most dangerous buffalo hunting country in Africa.

Interesting to note that my last hunter last week trod the very same grounds and waded through the same incredibly thick morass to have buffalo explode like a covey of quail at our feet. Good shit.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9954 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I forgot I jumped on a Mid Asian Ibex hunt here on AR when I saw it. It was a cancellation hunt but I wasn't looking for one. I leave in 6 weeks!!!

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are two questions here:

Are you prepared to hunt with a camp gun?

How long does it take to do the firearm export & import paperwork and can this be sped up?

The way my year has gone I'd happily jump on a flight at a moments notice but gone are the good old days of showing up at Australian Customs an hour early and getting an export permit the day of the flight.

Any Australians want to comment on the fastest they've had their paperwork sorted under the current regime?

Formerly Gun Barrel Ecologist

Posts: 324 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 04 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mike

Mike,

Mike

Day 1 - Nothing
Day 2 - 7 Sailfish
Day 4 - 1 Blue Marlin

Of the 5 boats fishing, we had the best results. One of the boats, only caught 2 dorado in 4 days of fishing. The lodge was great but the fishing was disappointing.

We arrived a day early to fish in the Panama Canal for Peacock Bass. That was fun. My son caught peacock bass that was a little over 7 pounds.

I decided not to fish. The weather is terrible with rains.

I like catching fish - I don't like getting pounded offshore in a nasty ocean.

I don't mind spending $1k to get to panama and back and making a last minute decision to fish or not to fish.

African hunting does not give that luxury but at the same time African hunting is not that weather dependent.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
I used to have a list of folks who could go on a moments notice, most of them had hunted with with my PHs several times..

They liked those special opertunities that pop up now and then like a stock killing Leopard, Loin or whatever...Ive sent several of them to Africa in a 24 hour period to shoot the animal. Those opertunities don't show up as much these days as they used to..but on occasion they will.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote