THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Firearms in Transit through South Africa

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Firearms in Transit through South Africa
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A friend of mine leaves for RSA on June 9th and he asked me the question on firearm permit requirements. I found this excerp from SAA's Manager of Aviation Security in Jo-burg.

"Passengers traveling on the services of SAA from any destination outside the borders of South Africa and who transit in Jo-burg to a third destination in Africa do not require a 'Transit' permit. The baggage/firearm can be through-checked to the final destination". The only time when such a permit is required is when the passenger wants to leave the transfer area and enter South Africa. The transit permit can then be obtained from the South African Police Services at the airport.

The above is fairly clear but could be taken two ways. Does this mean that if you have a connecting flight with final destination in Bloemfontain, (which is in South Africa) is a hunter exempt from obtaining a firearm permit even though he will hunt in RSA?

Please advise,
Thanks, Rslus

Posts: 251 | Location: pa | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Bob,

No, your friend must claim his bags and get a firearms permit. He will then have to leave the International Arrivals Terminal and go to the Domestic Departures Terminal and check in for his flight to Bloemfontain. He can not check his bags through to Bloemfontain and then acquire a firearms permit upon his arrival in Bloemfontain.

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Terry.

That's is the way I did it on my last trip but after reading the SAA excerp, I thought something changed.

Bob S.

Posts: 251 | Location: pa | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote