THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Spare Elephant hair bracelet anyone?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spare Elephant hair bracelet anyone?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey all, want a unique present for a friend of mine here at work that loves elephants. I guess not real unique to you all, but not common here in US, I was thinking a genuine elephant hair bracelet. Does anybody have one that they would part with and what am I looking at cost? I bought a silver version of one for my wife at SCI which she liked. I just thought for a true ele. lover the real thing might be more thoughtful.

thanks.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
dago,

I picked some up in Zim in 2001 for about $15 a piece i think it was...

the importation is shall we say questionable...

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been looking at these...

http://www.connecticutshotgun.com/Offer.htm

I will have a "real" one when I shoot my own elephant.

Posts: 817 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I understand they are illegal unless you took it by sporting means. Then only you can have it.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They sell for $150 each in the USA...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
They sell for $150 each in the USA...

There might be some fellow asking $150 each for them, but I doubt there are any buyers!

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
$150 sounds reasonable to me especially if they are bona fide' the real deal thing as it is very difficult to get them nowdays, legally that is with clearance certificates ...

Just out of interest

I ( have on my person ) which I brought out (legally as luggage) from Zimbabwe many many years ago when it was OK to export them ... a [ GENUINE ELEPHANT SKIN ] briefcase, Jet Black tanned Umtali leather hide with Amiet 3 wheel gold coloured combination locks x 2 ....

I think in those day 10+ years ago it might have cost me around $600 + US dollars ...

I wonder what it might be worth today in US !!! It is mint condition as new & unused

Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everybody. I found them for 25 bucks, plus shipping and the export permit.

I don't know about your briefcase, but my father had a friend years ago who got in trouble coming into the country with a bunch of cobra skin stuff, including the briefcase a belt and boots. the boots had the hood across the top of the foot and the briefcase had hoods on it too. I don't know why they would have jammed him on it, but that was the story as I heard it.

Red

one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Dago Red- Where did you find a bracelet for 25 bucks? Are you sure of its authenticity?

John

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thats what they sell for at SCI, but then the guy selling them at Dallas got arrested by Fed Fish and game, they shut down his booth and packed him off to jail....

I can buy them in Tanzaia for $15.00 to $75.00 depending on the size...

Carefull that you don't get Giraffe hair, thats the old tourist bracellet...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How can you tell if it's real or not?
Mike

Posts: 257 | Location: Canada | Registered: 29 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Guests

WE actually (kicked this topic to death) not that long ago as I recall ....

The bottom line is / it is illegal to get them imported into USA or many other countries for that matter WITHOUT a permit. We all know Elephant product come under CITES ...

You may find some bona fide' items around the USA as some have indicatad, just be careful as fakes abound ...

IMHO (dont piss around) take my (free advice) for what it's worth AND get one from a reliable shop or registered exporter ...

DONT get hoodwinked with a replica made of [ burnt grass ] or other similar genuine good fakes bawling

Remember be street wise and ALWAYS be BUYER BEWARE ... have a happy day wave

Here is a Place in SA

Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
I bought several of these after I got back from Africa. I forgot to pick them up before I left.

I don't see how you could mistake a giraffe hair bracelet for an elephant hair bracelet. The hair off the tail of my giraffe is much thinner than the elephant hair braclet.

The hair on the giraffe tail seems to be slightly thicker than a horse's tail. The elephant hair is like steel cable.

My braclets were $25 each, also.

Edit: I think I got mine from the same place as Peter's link.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy crap...what a ride!"

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mostly what we see at SCI are the trade bracelets, elephant hair but thin and 3 knots, I also see these on the ladies of Africa...

Giraffe is more like hair but shines like elephant hair and gets passed the uninformed..Elephant is more like plastic thread and its very shiny also.

The real trophy bracelets are larger, heavier and as big around as say your thumb if you have a good size hand and have 4 knots...The ivory like Penis bone bracelets are also rare in the States...

I have a blond elephant hair bracelet and its big and relitively rare stateside..It's from a dumb blond cow I suppose...It is very pretty..I still have some of her tail hairs somewhere around here, they were exceptionally long.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray,

All my ellie hair bracelets were free. I did not know they had value. Now I gotta call that guy who I gave one to and ask him to send me $150.... Smiler

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Balla Balla, that is the one that I had found and was going to buy from.

if all goes well tonight (lottery is way up there) then I will hopefully get my own some day. Smiler

Red