THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Would you hunt with a new PH Company?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Would you hunt with a new PH Company?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
in August of 2008 two friends hunted with a well established company in SA. They had a young man for their PH. Since then some issues have arisen between he and the owner. He has opted to strike out on his own this year, and has access to excellent areas.

Question:
Would you have reservation being his first client"

Choices:
No, if things check out
Yes, I'm no guinea pig
Need more information

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am going in mid-April, so you know my vote. I have spoken with a couple people who hunted with him in 08 and 09, and all were pleased. I think it will be great to be a part of a new enterprise. He has phoned me several times, and is offering a very good package price.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
Rich,
If you know the guys abilities, the areas potential and trust him to be capable of RUNNING a business, go for it. I think it's cool to help a young person get started in a tough business.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I voted that I would hunt with him. Of course that wouldn't pertain to a dangerous game hunt.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, DG might be a horse of a different color.

I should have said Plains Game.

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
I am going in mid-April, so you know my vote. I have spoken with a couple people who hunted with him in 08 and 09, and all were pleased. I think it will be great to be a part of a new enterprise. He has phoned me several times, and is offering a very good package price.

Rich

If it's all that...then I say why not GO FOR IT!!!

Have a good time and come back and report to us,,,, just DO IT!!!!

No more and no less!!! bewildered

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Stephen Palos
posted Hide Post
We all know that hunting is the best form of "Conservation through Utilisation" so it should be all of our wish that there is expansion, not contraction of hunting, huntable areas and countries that start to promote hunting that previously disallowed it.

It therefore stands to reason that we should also then be in favour of new entrants into the business of hunting to facilitate this expansion.....

http://www.bigbore.org/
http://www.chasa.co.za

Addicted to Recoil !
I hunt because I am human. Hunting is the expression of my humanity...

Posts: 441 | Location: Randfontein, South Africa | Registered: 07 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Assuming that his skills as a PH are sufficient, the only question is whether he has secured decent, huntable concessions. Two different issues. If I was satisfied he was good-to-go as a PH, I'd then research the history of his newly acquired concession(s). Then I'd make my decision. It's arguably a chicken/egg question, but the quality of his concession(s) is equally as important as his PH abilities.

114-R10David

Posts: 1751 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
game animals and the area would be factors in making a decision.

Posts: 5707 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dla69
posted Hide Post
I've been the first client for a guide once. It was a royal disaster. We were hunting moose in Newfoundland. This kid couldn't have found a moose on the Rocky and Bullwinkle show. He needed a compass once morning with the sun coming up in front of us ...

In this case, if I knew the PH either directly or I had the advice of people that I trusted it, I'd consider it. But I'd be asking questions about outfitting side of the trip to make sure he had those things figured out.

Posts: 535 | Location: Greensburg, PA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you a gambling man? Have you seen pictures of his camp and hunting vehicle? What makes up his crew and staff? How big of an area is he allowed to hunt and what is his quota like? Who does he use for dip and pack and export? Does he have a cook or a chef? These are just a few of the questions I would want answers to. Good luck, you might need it.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Depends on the man and how well I know him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36839 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If everything is above board and your friends had a good time with him in 08, I would go for it! Everyone has to start somewhere, and to help a young guy get going in a new business venture would be great. I know first hand as I was in the exact same situation a few years ago. Worked for a large well known Outfitter, he and I had a difference of opinion as I felt his business had turned into a factory, where the client was just a number and unethical practices were happening. I resigned. Being very fortunate having 2 family ranches and many other hunting concessions I was able to start up my business. A couple of guys from Austria, Tennesse and New Jersey U.S.A. were my first clients that year ( they took a huge risk on me) and since then my business has grown. But to this day those Austrian, Tennesse and New Jersey guys remain very very good friends of ours, they hunt with me every year and have actually invested in my business. One thing I am totally against though is PH's stealing clients that he met while hunting for the Outfitter he worked for! Enjoy the hunt and post a report when you get back, whether good or bad! Be honest with the outfitter and help him by giving him constructive critism- he will appreciate it if he's worth anything. thumb

Posts: 90 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 02 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of OldHandgunHunter
posted Hide Post
If you have had good experiences with the guy and know the area to be productive and the hunt's for PG, why not?

Somebody was the 1st hunter for every PH -- and this situation is about as risk free as it gets.

When you get bored with life, start hunting dangerous game with a handgun.

Posts: 495 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did this on my first and only trip so far. The important part to me was everything checked out. In my case, my PH had done quite a bit of contracted service to other companies and his references checked out and I had a great time.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since you have checked him out (as you would any other outfitter) and have the added advantage of personally knowing someone who went with him. I would say go fo it! Everyone has to start somewhere. Sounds like he has spent his time learning the trade and taken the required tests to get his license so have a ball and send us a report when you get back.

Posts: 273 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would make sure you keep an eye on trophy care and shipping. Your guide is new and every one make mistakes starting out. I think you can have a great time. New guides want to please! Sometimes older outfitters think to much about the business side of outfitting. Being treated as a friend and not very important to me.

Robert Johnson

Posts: 599 | Location: Soldotna Alaska | Registered: 05 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Have you seen pictures of his camp and hunting vehicle? What makes up his crew and staff? How big of an area is he allowed to hunt and what is his quota like? Who does he use for dip and pack and export? Does he have a cook or a chef? These are just a few of the questions I would want answers to. Good luck, you might need it.

You can do all of this and still get taken advantage of! You pays your money and you takes your chances.

But after personally meeting and talking with a person I think you are better off than most.

Posts: 41860 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sometimes older outfitters think to much about the business side of outfitting.

+1

Posts: 41860 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of leopards valley safaris
posted Hide Post
As an established outfitter I suppose we all started somewhere and most started hunting for someone else.But there are a ton of fly by nights in the African hunting arena.The smaller guys definatelyy tend to look after their clients better than bigger "Hotels of Hunting".
1.Make sure he has registered himself as a South African Hunting Operator and has supplied you with his number.there are legal ramifications if he is not registered or "borrowing" a number.This could get your stuff confiscated.
2. whos lodge is he going to be using? To get registerd you need to have a lodge registered to your operation.
If all these check out and as you say you know him then good luck have a good trip.
we want the details
Dave wave

Dave Davenport
Outfitters license HC22/2012EC
Pro Hunters license PH74/2012EC
www.leopardsvalley.co.za
dave@leopardsvalley.co.za
+27 42 24 61388
HUNT AFRICA WHILE YOU STILL CAN
Follow us on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/#!/leopardsvalley.safaris

Posts: 980 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote