Find
Notify
Tools

Sjambok
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted
Where can I get a genuine rhino skin sjambok? I'll be in Jo'burg and Windhoek in a couple of months.

Also, does anyone know if there is a ban of importation into the U.S. of sjamboks made of rhino skin (black or white)?

Namibiahunter

Posts: 665 | Location: Oregon or Namibia | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
www.coldsteel.com has been selling them. Theirs are made of Hippo hide. Prices range from $15 to $25.

John

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought the Coldsteel version was synthetic?

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Yukon- just looked at their website and you are absolutley right. I stand corrected.

John

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it was real hippo I would have bought one!

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If Hippo there should be no restrictions against bring one into the country.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted Hide Post
Oops - my bad. I meant hippo hide - not rhino. Any leads where i can get a hippo hide sjambok in Jo'burg or Windhoek will be appreciated.

I collect African artifacts and weapons also and I'm looking for a genuine assegai to replace the touristy spear that I picked up on a previous trip.

Namibiahunter

Posts: 665 | Location: Oregon or Namibia | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This might be promising. Sorry the pic didn't come out but just check it out on ebay...

Regards

ZULU SJAMBOK WHIP HIPPO HIDE MVUBU KNOBKERRIE 30" Item number: 260199591224

Seller of this item? Sign in for your status Watch this item in My eBay

This item has been added to My eBay for Guests.
As a guest, you can:
Track up to 10 items on this computer in My eBay
Receive an email reminder for this item a few hours before it ends

View larger picture

Starting bid: US $49.00

Your maximum bid: US $
Place Bid >
(Enter US $49.00 or more)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

End time: Jan-10-08 18:15:00 PST (1 day 3 hours)
Shipping costs: US $12.00
Other (see description)
Service to United States
(more services)
Ships to: Worldwide
Item location: St. Lucia, South Africa
History: 0 bids

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted Hide Post
Tim, thank you for the lead. That's exactly what I'm looking for, however, I prefer to get it myself while in Africa. It somehow becomes more than a souvenier to me when I get it from the place of origin. I guess I'll just wait until I get to Africa to look for one.

Namibiahunter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ask your PH. It's amazing what these guys can turn up, and usually at a bargan price.

Sam

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
If you're going for the full voortrekking diorama you will need a wagon and some oxen too. Wink

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
be somewhat careful where in RSA you ask for one. they were a favorite weapon that police used on black demonstrators during the apartheid era and some folks there are still a little touchy about them( or so i have been told)

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13395 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PWS
posted Hide Post
The word sjambok... It reminds me of one of those incidents that, although subtle, really enlighten you on the matter of things.

I was hunting out of Russ Broom's Songo camp in the spring of 2002. One afternoon we returned for lunch and there was an unassuming military vehicle and a band of some serious looking fellows sporting some serious looking armament milling about the main yard. They were sporting dark blue fatigues and despite the uniforms, they were definately not road block cops. The PH explained that there had been an elephant carcass discovered nearby and the blue shirts were in the area to see what they could find. In the meantime, they used Songo for a base of operations.

We didn't see them again for three or four days and I'd forgotten about thier presence.

At the next encounter, again at midday, they were in camp and most of the staff was jovially milling around and the serious air was long gone. I wandered over to see what was going on and notice two very sorry looking individuals sitting in the dirt, tethered at the wrist and ankles. The blue shirts were taking care of something in their vehicle and the PH wandered over to me. I couldn't help but notice the word "sjambok" repeated in the banter of the camp staff. I knew that word and yet had no clue why everyone was goofing around the two fellows in the dirt saying "whip" "whip" "whip" . So I asked the PH what was being said.

He shrugged and told me that the poachers had been caught sleeping around thier fire and out of reach of the old .303 they'd used for the kill. The PH said they were lucky they weren't near the rifle but he then back tracked and said perhaps they would have been better off to have put up a "fight" and been killed outright. He explained how they were now looking at a long time in jail and despite the impossibility of the situation, they were still responsible for paying a trophy fee commensurate of the cow they'd poached. The boys in the camp staff all thought the predicament of the two in the dirt was quite good fun, especially since the blueshirts started the poachers punishment by stringing them up by their wrists that night and whipping the #@%&^$ out of them, "chatter, chatter, sjambok, chatter, tee hee hee..."

Posts: 1142 | Location: Kodiak | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
I saw it in Moz with a bicycle theaf there is no mercy.

A friend of mine has strips of hippo hide he made a shambok it took him 4 days its a heavy job

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PWS:
The word sjambok... It reminds me of one of those incidents that, although subtle, really enlighten you on the matter of things.

I was hunting out of Russ Broom's Songo camp in the spring of 2002. One afternoon we returned for lunch and there was an unassuming military vehicle and a band of some serious looking fellows sporting some serious looking armament milling about the main yard. They were sporting dark blue fatigues and despite the uniforms, they were definately not road block cops. The PH explained that there had been an elephant carcass discovered nearby and the blue shirts were in the area to see what they could find. In the meantime, they used Songo for a base of operations.

We didn't see them again for three or four days and I'd forgotten about thier presence.

At the next encounter, again at midday, they were in camp and most of the staff was jovially milling around and the serious air was long gone. I wandered over to see what was going on and notice two very sorry looking individuals sitting in the dirt, tethered at the wrist and ankles. The blue shirts were taking care of something in their vehicle and the PH wandered over to me. I couldn't help but notice the word "sjambok" repeated in the banter of the camp staff. I knew that word and yet had no clue why everyone was goofing around the two fellows in the dirt saying "whip" "whip" "whip" . So I asked the PH what was being said.

He shrugged and told me that the poachers had been caught sleeping around thier fire and out of reach of the old .303 they'd used for the kill. The PH said they were lucky they weren't near the rifle but he then back tracked and said perhaps they would have been better off to have put up a "fight" and been killed outright. He explained how they were now looking at a long time in jail and despite the impossibility of the situation, they were still responsible for paying a trophy fee commensurate of the cow they'd poached. The boys in the camp staff all thought the predicament of the two in the dirt was quite good fun, especially since the blueshirts started the poachers punishment by stringing them up by their wrists that night and whipping the #@%&^$ out of them, "chatter, chatter, sjambok, chatter, tee hee hee..."

THat is precisely what should be done in the US to any (I mean any) thief ro drunk driver. Lash him and he won't steal again. My dog even learns that lesson sooner or later.

I would also endorse public hanging, floggings as a crime stopper.

Posts: 10362 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
A sjambok beating is bloody unpleasant to see and brutal in the extreme......... but very effective.

As for the death penalty, the soft hearted liberals can whine as much as they like, but there's never been a single instance in the entire history of mankind where a criminal has been executed and afterwards reoffended. It stops 'em dead in their tracks. jumping