One of Us
posted
To my African member friends.

What is/means Mala Mala.

Cheers

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
Have a look Butch

http://www.malamala.com

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kallie404
posted Hide Post
Begno,

Mala-mala means Sable ( antelope ) in the local indigenous language in South Africa and like Gerhard said it is also the name of one of the most sought after private reserves and lodges that borders Kruger park.

Posts: 109 | Location: Mooketsi& Phalaborwa Limpopo Province RSA | Registered: 13 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I knew of the lodge, but thought that it indicated a native language name for some animal as well. Thanks,

Can always count on AR to answer the questions.

Cheers,

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mala mala is is thought to be derived from the Shangaan ( Tsonga) word MhalaMhala which refers to the Sable

The word Mhala in single format is the Impala in Shangaan.

The Reserve however was not directly named after an animal but after the name of the original farm which likely was derived from the Shangaan word.

On the Pilgrims Rest district map designated KU
the original farm was numbered as KU 341 named
"the farm Mala Mala" and adjacent to it Mala Mala KU 359

This was anomalous because the original farms in the area were named with distinctly European and English city and place names.

Here and there, there were Afrikaans names Like Impalabos or Diepkloof.

The farms that made up the original Mala Mala complex in the old Sabi Game reserve were
Eyerfield, Flockfield, Charleston and Toulon as well as the two Mala Mala properties

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
I stayed at the Mala Mala resort on my first trip to South Africa in 1983 when SATOUR, the South African Tourism Bureau, invited selected U.S. journalists to tour the country at its expense to offset the worldwide campaign against apartheid. I was shocked when I learned many years later that the resort charged nearly $1,000 a night!

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote