Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Jungle Look
 Login/Join

posted
Some of the finest wildlife photography you'll find. My vote for the best Leopard photo, ever!

The Jungle Look

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Nick, Where is the leopard photo??

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nikudu,
Thanks, I love those photos. I started with North American hunting, progressed to African Hunting, then hunted the South Pacific. At least I was able to hunt Asian buffalo, banteng, and Sambar in Australia. What I wouldn't give to hunt for tiger, gaur, nilgai, blackbuck, axis, muntjac, and asian elephant in their native habitat. Gone are the days. Frowner

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
Nick, Where is the leopard photo??
Mike

Mike,

The location is mentioned under the picture - Lakkavalli Forest Range - Karnataka.

Nick, thanks once again for an excellent find. 20 to 25 years back the forests were only 10 to 15 kms from my place. Today, the closest is 40 kms away.

Rustam

Posts: 173 | Location: Bangalore, India. | Registered: 18 August 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Mike - Mammals - Page Two

RBHunt - You did well in my estimation! Smiler

RHB - Did you happen to see the Indian Deforestation picture I posted last week? Shocking!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Nick,

Thank you for the link to the pics........good stuff all......as usual.

Joe

Where there's a hobble, there's hope.

Posts: 369 | Location: Homer, Alaska | Registered: 04 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nickudu:
RHB - Did you happen to see the Indian Deforestation picture I posted last week? Shocking!

Hi Nick,

Are you refering to the picture of the World map? If so, yes.

According to a forest department official, 50% of India's landmass was forested at the time of independence (1947). Today it is a paltry 2 to 3%.

Rustam

Posts: 173 | Location: Bangalore, India. | Registered: 18 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CFA
posted Hide Post
Nick,

Thanks, I am sending a picture of that leopard to my taxidermist for when I get one. In the meantime he graces my desktop wall paper. Wink

CFA

*If you are not hunting in Africa you are planning to hunt in Africa*

Posts: 465 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 15 October 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hello Joe! Missed you around here, of late! Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nickudu,

Thank you very much for the pictures.

I cannot wait to travel to some of my favourite parts of India later this year! Cool

Thank you very much for your kind efforts in finding lovely viewing material.

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nick,

Loved the quality of light in the leopard picture, here are some pictures by by Vikas Malhotra

www.vikasmal/corbett.com

khaleej pheasant, Corbett national park, India

Ramganga river, Corbett

Asian Elephants, Corbett

Posts: 73 | Location: Rajasthan, India | Registered: 23 August 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Lynx. There are certainly some fine photographers in India. One would think photography was invented there! Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
How about telling us where the leopard is/ I just spent 10 minutes looking for it.

Indy

Life is short. Hunt hard.

posted Hide Post
Indy - Mammals - Page Two

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nick,

Just you wait till I get my telephoto lenses. Wink

birds of india - vikas malhotra

www.wildworldindia.com

In the image from the wildworldindia website 'sambar in dhobi talao, ranthambore, rajasthan' a large male tiger 'genghis' used to ambush & catch sambhar in this lake. What a sight it used to be....

leopard - sudhir shivaram

Lynx

Posts: 73 | Location: Rajasthan, India | Registered: 23 August 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lynx:
Nick,
Just you wait till I get my telephoto lenses.
Wink

Lynx,
You must then, set up camp in the mangrove forests of the Bhitarkanika Wildlife Sanctuary in Orissa and wait for photos of the three saltwater crocodiles there, said to exceed 20 feet in length! Let me know how it goes! Razzer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You must then, set up camp in the mangrove forests of the Bhitarkanika Wildlife Sanctuary in Orissa and wait for photos of the three saltwater crocodiles there, said to exceed 20 feet in length

Will do. In the faint possibility that you do not hear from me after I have set up camp, you'll understand Wink

I did spend 10 days in the Simplipal national park, Orissa. The 2750 sq km forest was the Mayurbhanj Royal family hunting grounds. Forest was so thick in places, sunlight did not get to the ground. Most of the old forest rest house have a deep trench running round the rest house to keep the elephants out.
The tribals in the area, some of them still live in the national park, indulge in a annual hunt with their bow & arrow.

Met a gentleman who had shot a man eating tigress in the area in the late 80's with a 375. Tigress had got caught in a snare and could not catch her regular prey.

simlipal national park

Lynx

Picture of MamunurRahman
posted Hide Post
Nick,

Thanks for the pictures, like RBH I would risk any thing to take a Gaur. I have seen them when I had the wrong gun and did not find them when I had the right one.

Mamun.

Posts: 34 | Location: Mississauga,Onatrio.Canada | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Mamun,My Friend,
It's so good to have you posting again!

A hunt for Gaur is also what I long for. I can make do, never having the opportunity to hunt tiger but the thought of a huge Gaur, in just the right setting, gets my blood up.

Be Well!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mamun,
I want a gaur so bad, if I were to get close to one, I would shoot it with a 22 rimfire, and then try to finish it off by strangling it with a shoe lace! Wink

RB

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RBHunt:
At least I was able to hunt Asian buffalo, banteng, and Sambar in Australia. What I wouldn't give to hunt for tiger, gaur, nilgai, blackbuck, axis, muntjac, and asian elephant in their native habitat. Gone are the days. Frowner

How does hunting banteng compare to hunting gaur?

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You know, looking at that leopard photo makes me realize what is wrong with every leopard mount I ever see. Every guy who shoots a leopard understandably wants to show it off. They therefore mount it climbing something or standing in the complete absence of any cover! One day when I shoot a leopard, he will be mounted partially obscured, crouched behind tall grass, and peering angrily out at unsuspecting passers by! Big Grin

JMHO,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnTheGreek:
You know, looking at that leopard photo makes me realize what is wrong with every leopard mount I ever see. Every guy who shoots a leopard understandably wants to show it off. They therefore mount it climbing something or standing in the complete absence of any cover! One day when I shoot a leopard, he will be mounted partially obscured, crouched behind tall grass, and peering angrily out at unsuspecting passers by! Big Grin

I want to have mine (future) mounted on a branch crouching down ready to spring over a doorway. With a infra-red beam across the doorway so it sets off a recording of a leopard growl from above as you enter the room. Eeker

Will need a second door for people with heart conditions. Roll Eyes

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From all I have read and heard about hunting gaur, they are sort of like a souped up cape buffalo, aggressive even before being wounded. Having hunted banteng twice, I find them more like hunting deer, hard to get close to and always alert. Banteng don't seem able to soak up lead like a buffalo, and I have not heard of one attacking, although some literature indicate that they do. Every one I ever saw just wanted to get away.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
John,
I agree on the leopard. The last one I had mounted is crouched very low to the ground, and is concealed in grass. The form is altered, and a one of a kind.

One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
If you want just the image you can replace "gallery" with "albums" and add (.jpg) in the url and get the image by itself

FWIW

ie. http://www.thejunglelook.com/albums/Mammals/CRW_8761_Leopard.jpg

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
quote:

Will need a second door for people with heart conditions. Roll Eyes

roflmao roflmao
roflmao roflmao

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote