THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    What do you think vs What do you do?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you think vs What do you do?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bahati
posted
We are hunters and we share a common passion, pastime, hobby, sport - call it what you will. Part of the common motto of hunting is the one of conservation, and one I wish to add, most hunters are sincere about.

The question is, what do each one of us actually do about it? Or do we just nod approval to whatever we hear regarding conservation efforts by others, buy a magazine now and then, pay our membership subs and therefore feel content and part of "it". Do we give moral support and lip service only, or do we give more? And by that I do not include actions for personal benefit via my local chapter/organization such as buying a cheap donation hunt - that does not count! Nor does working your own ranch. Or buying a larger one.

There are so many good projects that simply do not come off the ground due to lack of - primarily - money. I am specifically referring to fundamental scientific research and wildlife management research projects here. Typically small(ish) projects.

Are YOU willing to give time & money to properly explained and worthy projects done by worthy institutions? (Be careful here and read Ron Thomson's books!!) Anyway, we at Bahati are and we do. But we could obviously do more and we want to.

If there are some of you that would like to get closer and get involved in real conservation efforts in some way or another, let me know. You may just get a chance to experience places & events you never thought possible. If you have good ideas, please pass them on.

Johan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Johan,
I am very familiar with what you are proposing/asking. I have started two 501c3 (Charitable and tax break driven) organizations in the US. One is still operating and generates $250,000 per year for conservation projects in my state.

Honestly, money is usually not the main issue. The problem with most organizations is getting the story and mission of the project in front of people who care and are committed to what you are trying to do. You would be stunned at the amount of money that flows into groups that have wide ranging agendas from saving whales to the fur seal to bats to swans to tuna.

The money is out there for a host of projects.

We were successful with both of our projects because we were able to engage the people that cared about our goals. They volunteered time and money and were rewarded with tangible, measurable results.

So, that said - what exactly are you proposing or do you need support for?

Added later - let me take you one step further - outline what you have in mind, while hosting hunters in your area, show them (briefly) what you want to do and let them come back to the US and Europe to "tout" the project or the idea. Grassroots projects are great ways to start something. You do not need a Craig Boddington or someoen well known to endorse what you are doing. Do it, show it to your hunters and they will sing your praises.

Posts: 10163 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bahati
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
Do it, show it to your hunters and they will sing your praises.

dogcat

Thanks for the feedback. It is exactly the feedback that I want. We all get asked for money all day and sometimes get sick of it.

I'll get in touch soon ...

Johan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I Zim they are working on getting the parks department game scouts and anti-poaching / tresspassing teams better equipped.

My company is actively supporting this effort as we have seen firsthand the need in both terms of equipment and the actual problems created by poachers and tresspassers into concessions and conservation areas.

Get ahold of me if you want to know more.

JW