New
Find
Notify
Tools

Matetsi 1 and 2
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Russ Broom has taken over the rights to these two quality Matetsi units.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of martin pieters
posted Hide Post
Not sure if that is 100 % fact do you have documentation as I have heard differently!

martinpieterssafaris@gmail.com
www.martinpieterssafaris.com

" hunt as if it's your last one you'll ever be on"

Posts: 639 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
I got a mail from Atchesons a few hours ago.

Back in October 2012 Atcheson's announced that longtime safari operator Russ Broom has re-entered the safari business after a 4 year hiatus. We had this to say:

The Matetsi areas are divided up into several blocks and it has long been recognized that Matetsi 1 and 2 offer OUTSTANDING hunting. It is our great pleasure to announce that Russ Broom Safaris has secured these 2 famous hunting blocks as well as Deka hunting quota and likely some other nearby concessions for several years to come.............................

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was wondering myself.

I think a company called Smith & Durham ? had Matetsi 2 previously. I know a gentleman that hunted elephants the past 2 years there. He did mention that he ran into Russ Broom hanging lion baits in # 2 last year while he was there.

Posts: 1919 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Atcheson mail:

"Russ Broom Safaris has also obtained the famous lower Zambezi valley area Charara. The camp is located on the banks of beautiful Lake Kariba.

This area has not been hunted for 2 years and it offers superb Leopard hunting along with lots of Buffalo, Hippo, Crocodile, Sable Bushbuck etc... Since he just acquired the area he has good openings for 2013. He also has one Lion tag here and it's still open for 2013 at a decent Lion hunt day rate."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Safari2:
I know a gentleman that hunted elephants the past 2 years there. He did mention that he ran into Russ Broom hanging lion baits in # 2 last year while he was there.

quote:
Originally posted by A.Dahlgren:
Atcheson mail:

This area has not been hunted for 2 years....

There is more to this story yet to come.

Dean

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, Duke of York

Posts: 876 | Location: Halkirk Ab | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
The quote regarding the area not having been hunted for 2 years was regarding his Charara camp on the Zambezi, not Matetsi.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
I thought PRO Safaris Norm and Co. had hunted Charara but im maybe mistaken. Russ is member so maybe he can chime in.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by martin pieters:
Not sure if that is 100 % fact do you have documentation as I have heard differently!

Mart,

I also got this info from Atcheson's. Stroll over a few isles and ask them.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBT:
The quote regarding the area not having been hunted for 2 years was regarding his Charara camp on the Zambezi, not Matetsi.

My reading skills are suspect today and I'm spending much of the afternoon reading technical papers. Maybe I should just go home.

Dean

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, Duke of York

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charara has certainly been hunted hard last year as well as previous years. I do believe we will see more info coming out on the Matetsi blocks as I have heard from another Gentlman that he has unit 2!

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doesn't Ray Townsend/Chapungu hunt Charara?

Posts: 990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Woodhits- Ray hunts the communal land bordering the Charara safari area

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gotcha, thanks Buzz. I was supposed to hunt there a few years ago and it fell through.

Posts: 990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Charara has certainly been hunted hard last year as well as previous years.

Dean, looks like you were right regardless!

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also Charara camp is on Lake Kariba and not the Zambezi. The area has been awarded to Bouna Safaris originally hunting in Nyakasanga. That is not to say that Russ may have come to a marketing agreement with them?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
465 with the SCI show a day away false posts only aggravate an already divided Africa, the facts are simple, Russ MAY have bought QUOTA from the owners of Unit 1 and 2 but he DOES not have he areas FACT!!

Before posting something lets get the facts right before more confusion sets in as I personally have several hunts in unit 1 so if Russ has it then ........I need some money back!!

Fast
Now

One of Us
Picture of Neil-PH
posted Hide Post
Russ is in Reno, at Atcheson's booth.

I spoke to him regarding Matetsi shortly after Atcheson made the announcement on AR. He seemed surprised that it had been made known so quickly, but from what I understand he has made a deal for the hunting.

Posts: 536 | Location: The Plains of Africa | Registered: 07 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sjb
posted Hide Post
Hey Martin,
Hopefully have forwarded on to your e-mail address a press release from Atchesons that claim the same

Scott

Posts: 218 | Location: NSW , Australia | Registered: 11 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sjb
posted Hide Post
mate sent it thru too martin@bulembisafaris.co.zw but bounced back.

Scott

Posts: 218 | Location: NSW , Australia | Registered: 11 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Of all people, Atchesons should know the way the game is played in Africa.... Leases, subl-leases, quota sharing, etc.

To imply (and leave me to infer) otherwise is misleading, to say the least.

I've always trusted Atchesons and hope they correct the email they sent me (or at least, clear it up).

Ithat said, 've hunted Matetsi 1, 3 and Deka. I've also been all over Matetsi 2 recently. I do hope that Russ, or whomever, brings them to their true potential. They are wonderful places.

quote:
Originally posted by martin pieters:
465 with the SCI show a day away false posts only aggravate an already divided Africa, the facts are simple, Russ MAY have bought QUOTA from the owners of Unit 1 and 2 but he DOES not have he areas FACT!!

Before posting something lets get the facts right before more confusion sets in as I personally have several hunts in unit 1 so if Russ has it then ........I need some money back!!

Fast
Now

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBT:
quote:
Charara has certainly been hunted hard last year as well as previous years.

Dean, looks like you were right regardless!

I still should have just gone home!

-Edward, Duke of York

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Copied and pasted email from the owner of Unit 1, please see his statement below!

This should clarify it.

We have had many people like Russ claiming that they either own or would operate Unit One many times. I cannot prevent people from dreaming. I am this time , however going to make an example of such people by take some costly legal action against them as this is costing my business a lot in customer security.

I have tried to comment on that site and cannot since I am not registered . If your are, can you please attach this this note.

May I also notify all hunters that with immediate effect, except for the 4 hunts that Russ booked with me for 2013, he will not sell or hunt Matetsi Unit One as long as I Rodgers Madangure is the lease owner. The are a couple of Phs similar to Russ who had the same ambitions and I banned them.

Thank you

Rodgers

One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Well done chaps, you're all doing a fantastic job of marketing Zim during these troubled times. Roll Eyes

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WoW! Thanks Mart for correcting what we heard from Atcheson's. I wonder if Rus told Atcheson's that he now had the two Matetsi concessions or if Atcheson's assumed it.

465H&H

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
either way, Atchesons screwed the pooch by advertising/marketing hunts that would in fact be illegal( other than the 4 Russ is entitled to). what part of due diligence did they not understand? i hardly think the 4 hunts Russ subcontracted constitute having control of Matetsi 1. thanks, Mart for clarifying an announcement that turns out to be BS..

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13395 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Hulme:
Well done chaps, you're all doing a fantastic job of marketing Zim during these troubled times. Roll Eyes

David,
pardon me for saying this but during "troubled times" clarity and transparency are extremely useful to instil confidence in the market.

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanamich:
quote:
Originally posted by David Hulme:

David,
pardon me for saying this but during "troubled times" clarity and transparency are extremely useful to instil confidence in the market.

Precisely.

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Dear saeed

I am having trouble logging in under Russ W R Broom and need your help responding to an allegation
that seems to have surfaced and being spear headed Martin Peters.

Please could you urgently post this in the forum under the topic heading Unit 1 and 2 Matetsi.

I unfortunately cannot login as I am in Reno and my computer at home gas my AR password etc. I am
therefore hoping that in the interest of fair play that the Administrator will post my response to
Messer's Pieters and Dalgren detective work.

For the Record I have the following animals purchased on Unit 1.

1 Lion ( total quota 2)
2 Elephant ( total quota 4)
6 Buffalo ( total quota 19)
6 Sable ( total quota 8)
6 waterbuck( total quota 8)
Etc

I think it hardly worth listing the other game as I have at least 40 % or more of the quota.

. I am not the owner of any Concession in Matetsi, although we owned land there before Ian Smith
government expropriated us in 1974 and I am positive I have hunted Matetsi longer than any active PH
in Zimbabwe today. I do not think that nether I nor Atcheson have ever said I OWN a Matetsi
Concession, although I have purchased the majority of quota on this and other Units in Matetsi.

If you take a careful look at Martin Pieters Brochure for example he talks about his areas around
Victoria Falls. He does not own any areas around Victoria Falls. He may buy Quota but that is hardly
ownership rights. Martin Pieters Safaris are not the registered Lessee in Omay Bulembi Safaris are,
and of course to sub lease is against the terms of any Rural District Council Mandate.

I have just got off the phone with Rogers Madangure, who stated verbally to me that he did not mean
what he said in his response to Mr Pieters quest for information.

I really believe this to be a little vindictive and hardly worth the time of either Mr Pieters and
some of the other authors, nevertheless we live in a competitive environment where everyone is
entitled to an opinion and their soap box time, I guess in the hopes it may persuade some hunting
clients into canceling their safaris with me, and perhaps they may pick them up.

I am in Reno at Atchesons booth 611 should anyone wish to chat.

Regards

Russ Broom
Sent from my iPhone or Russ Broom

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I won't comment on who has what..but I will say tht looks like a bit too much quota for that small of an area, especailly with regards to lion and buffalo IMO.

Posts: 1919 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just to clarify, Russ and I had a chat and discussed this post and for everyone's info, Russ has actually purchased some quota from various areas like many other PH's operators in Africa, so although he may not ' own ' Matetsi 1 and 2 , he still has every right to market his hunts

Cheers

Martin