THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Should female leopards be added to hunting quotas?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Should female leopards be added to hunting quotas?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was in Zim last month hunting and both the PHs in camp made it clear that they thought female leopards should be added to the quota. In an area where there are six leopards on license, they thought two should be females in order to take pressure off the males which according to them are getting harder and harder to take. They thought the leopard population in Zim was getting unbalanced and this would not only help their industry, but help improve the overall number of leopards?

Does this make sense or are we just hunting too many leopards?

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Actually, it does make sense.

I am not sure about now, but in the past one could shoot female of many species, including lion, zebra, impala, kudu, buffalo etc.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68692 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Absolutly NOT!

One male will mate with numerous females.

Shooting females will only cut our own throats.

Not seeing enough males so let's shoot females too...dosen't make much sense does it?

That's hunting fellas, hopefully we make a kill, but sometimes we don't.

The well being of a Leopard population should ALWAYS come before a successful hunt.

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of martin pieters
posted Hide Post
LEOPARD TRACK
≠1

martinpieterssafaris@gmail.com
www.martinpieterssafaris.com

" hunt as if it's your last one you'll ever be on"

Posts: 639 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
I know it's a controversial subject here in Zim, but I don't think it's a good idea at all. No doubt there are old, barren females walking around out there that would be more use to the system in leopard heaven, but there would also be too much room for more of the bullshit we having been reading about lately to take place. Soon certain 'PH's would be allowing cubs to be shot and whining 'but females are on quota'...

I don't think we are shooting too many leopards in Zim, that is unless quotas have been increased dramatically since I have been out of the game. Nothing would surprise me.... Their nature does not make them easy to hunt and the failure rate is pretty high. Consider this: Between 1918 and 1990 cattle ranchers in the lowveld used any method they could think of to kill leopards - shooting, trapping, poisoning....And across the board - males, females, juveniles...I would say the leopard population in the Save was pretty stable in 1990, as it is now. Leopards are survivors and can withstand the most determined persecution.

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by martin pieters:
LEOPARD TRACK
≠1

Hi Martin,

Wayne Grant would give out a good ass-kicking for shooting a female!

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
I am curious what is the average age of a male Leapord who is hunted and taken by a hunter?

At what age does a female Leapord no longer give birth?

Any idea of how many lepords of both sexes are in a concession. I am sure it would be aproximate or an educated guess?

Posts: 1493 | Location: Cincinnati  | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
The guy who really needs to comment here is Dusty Joubert, he has done a heap of research on leopards in the Save.

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigBoreCore:
I was in Zim last month hunting and both the PHs in camp made it clear that they thought female leopards should be added to the quota. In an area where there are six leopards on license, they thought two should be females in order to take pressure off the males which according to them are getting harder and harder to take. They thought the leopard population in Zim was getting unbalanced and this would not only help their industry, but help improve the overall number of leopards?

Does this make sense or are we just hunting too many leopards?

Perhaps they need to shoot less males in those areas??? Just an idea.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Hulme:
The guy who really needs to comment here is Dusty Joubert, he has done a heap of research on leopards in the Save.

I think you'd hear Dusty concede that an annual off take of a few females could be done in an ecologically sound manner on the Save. Particularly when the male and female populations are growing at a significant pace.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:
quote:
Originally posted by David Hulme:

I think you'd hear Dusty concede that an annual off take of a few females could be done in an ecologically sound manner on the Save. Particularly when the male and female populations are growing at a significant pace.

Fair enough in the Save where hunters still do things properly. But it could not only apply to the Save and no doubt certain individuals in other areas would consider females on quota a license to A)Increase the overall leopard quota B) Pump anything with spots.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am of the opinion that all hunting concessions where wild cats are hunted should be paying a resident ecologist to track the populations and manage the quota.
If an old female is no longer producing then she should be hunted, but not under any other circumstances.
The easy way out is to simply hunt males based on quotas. If the outfitters are struggling to hunt then they should be responsible and reduce their offtake regardless of quota until their numbers rise, not try and shoot the goose that laid the egg.

Posts: 305 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 13 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by African Hunters Quest:
I am of the opinion that all hunting concessions where wild cats are hunted should be paying a resident ecologist to track the populations and manage the quota.
If an old female is no longer producing then she should be hunted, but not under any other circumstances.
The easy way out is to simply hunt males based on quotas. If the outfitters are struggling to hunt then they should be responsible and reduce their offtake regardless of quota until their numbers rise, not try and shoot the goose that laid the egg.

100% but unfortunately there are a lot of 'operators' these days who are more concerned about making fast money than preserving hunting areas for future generations. That sort will run circles around any change to the existing law. It may not be perfect, but at least it keeps a semblance of order at this time, when we need it to. Particularly since most of those money grabbing parasites could never outwit a mature male leopard anyway, given that they spend a great deal more time counting their ill gotten gain than sitting in a blind....

For that sort, ANY concession to shooting females will result in mayhem. Every female in the areas they 'hunt' will become barren overnight. That sort would also never spend one cent on an ecologist or even a gamescout. There are a number of them running around these days. Trailer trash of the hunting world. A 4x4, 375 and a library full of bullshit are the only requirements they feel they need to be an operator.

David

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
No. All I smell is money.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19363 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of OldHandgunHunter
posted Hide Post
Not unless the wildlife management folks think that it will help increase the total Leopard population. To take females just to take pressure off the males is worse than counter-productive.

If there is too much hunting pressure on the males, the quota should be reduced. It looks like the only answer.

When you get bored with life, start hunting dangerous game with a handgun.

Posts: 495 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leopardtrack:
quote:
Originally posted by martin pieters:
LEOPARD TRACK
≠1

Hi Martin,

Wayne Grant would give out a good ass-kicking for shooting a female!

In the recent African Hunting Gazette (winter 2011) there is an article by Tanith Grant, Wayne's daughter, on establishing better quotas for off take.

May be worth a read for those interested.

Posts: 444 | Location: Hudson Valley | Registered: 07 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
No

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
For that sort, ANY concession to shooting females will result in mayhem.

David, you are 100% correct about that and the sort of people who would bring the mayhem about.

Money can buy many things, but class is not one of them...

Posts: 305 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 13 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tanith Grant (daughter of PH Wayne Grant)just finished her graduate theisis on Leopard satus in the Marula area of Zimbabwe.
She wrote an artical about it which is
in the current issue of African Sporting Gazette.

If you go to their website you can read it for free.

If anyone thinks that females should be killed they should read this artical first!

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
I see no conservation and smell $$$$

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
NO with a Capital NO.

The females make it a renewable resource.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
absolutely not and there other game species that the females should be taken off the list as well

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm confused. You can hunt female lions, at least in Dande North. Why don't the same arguments apply to lions as to leopards?

Indy

Life is short. Hunt hard.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Indy,

One reason I can think of is lions reproduce in large family groups and have the ability to raise lots of cubs. Adults and sub adults care for the cubs and have the ability to provide food much more effectively.

Leopards, on the other hand, are solitary and raise fewer cubs. I see this as a big difference and that is why I said 'no'.

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't read everyone's post, but last week at the Namibian Profesional Hunter Org...voted to "yes" shooting Female leopards. So that's something they will try and get the gov't to change with is just EFFING NUTS!

They paired it up with a few other initiatives that were highly necessary dealing with Leopard tag allotments, and wouldn't allow line by line voting...

Very sneaky tactics~

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oryxhunter1983:
I didn't read everyone's post, but last week at the Namibian Profesional Hunter Org...voted to "yes" shooting Female leopards. So that's something they will try and get the gov't to change with is just EFFING NUTS!

They paired it up with a few other initiatives that were highly necessary dealing with Leopard tag allotments, and wouldn't allow line by line voting...

Very sneaky tactics~

Did the Namibian group give any research results to support their position? Or are they trying to get more leopard tags?

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i'm all for the idea of farm raising leopards and lions, then we could relocate them into areas where the populations are way down. tu2 such areas as minnesota Big Grin then maybe i could go crat hunting in my backyard for something bigger than calicoes archer Eeker

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
leopards breed year round in most places , cubs remain dependant for quite some time and are heavily predated by hyaena and lion , thus the competition and pressure to bring all cubs to adulthood is significant on a female cat -

as the cubs wean she then comes into oestrus again , thus most female leopards in their prime are either pregnant or have dependant cubs -

a study in the okavango showed a perticularly low survival rate of cubs due to the hyaen and lion pressure on them -

as someone said , one male can mate with several females - killing the females kills the next generation -

where leopards are getting harder and harder either quotas are too high or PHing is careless , a big male that is disturbed while on bait by a mistake by the hunters will learn from that and this "educated" cat will become very hard to kill.

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
absolutely not and there other game species that the females should be taken off the list as well

Yeah like Hyena.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9957 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ivan carter:
leopards breed year round in most places , cubs remain dependant for quite some time and are heavily predated by hyaena and lion , thus the competition and pressure to bring all cubs to adulthood is significant on a female cat -

as the cubs wean she then comes into oestrus again , thus most female leopards in their prime are either pregnant or have dependant cubs -

a study in the okavango showed a perticularly low survival rate of cubs due to the hyaen and lion pressure on them -

as someone said , one male can mate with several females - killing the females kills the next generation -

where leopards are getting harder and harder either quotas are too high or PHing is careless , a big male that is disturbed while on bait by a mistake by the hunters will learn from that and this "educated" cat will become very hard to kill.

tu2

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:

Yeah like Hyena.

How do you decide whats a male and a female with a hyena ?

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Initially track size, but before the shot you have to see his nuts

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My understanding with hyena is that the alpha female of a group becomes hermaphroditic and its clitoris hypertrophies into a pseudo-penis...sounds like a neat & unusual trophy! Am I correct in thinking that female hyenas are legal to shot wherever hyenas are legal?

On a 2nd note, getting back to female leopard hunting...It'd be nice to have a game biologist weigh in on this...The old thinking among the whitetail deer (totally different species, I know) was "never shoot does"- - now its known that for a healthy herd/ecosysyem. some female deer should be shot...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Uh Oh..... donttroll

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A.Dahlgren:
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:

Yeah like Hyena.

How do you decide whats a male and a female with a hyena ?

You skin it.

Will J. Parks, III

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
quote:

I would find that very hard on a hyena if not impossible.

Which one is the male ?

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A.Dahlgren:
quote:

I would find that very hard on a hyena if not impossible.

Which one is the male ?

If there is a male among the two it would likely be the one on your left.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Another NO vote.

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Odds are that the larger hyena is a female and the smaller hyena is the male.

Will J. Parks, III

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
+1