New
Find
Notify
Tools

Longest Shot with a .416 Rem
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What was your longest shot with a .416 Rem?
What bullet Type, weight & hanload combo were you using?

Posts: 214 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 26 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Longest...~200-yards frontal shot on a Roan, using a 370gr Northfork, handloaded w/81grns RL-15 at ~2500fps. Closest..10-yards on a tuskless w/400gr Barnes Solid. I like the .416 Rem Big Grin

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
about 200, maybe a bit more, on an Impala. Using the ph's Remington 700 push feed no less!

It worked!

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Of course Wendell, it wasn't DG. Wink

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
180 yards shooting iron sights at a Eland bull, front quartering shot using factory ammo, Federal 400 grain Trophy Bonded Bearclaw. Put the sight right on the base of his neck a bit to the left, Dropped him in his tracks!

One shot - - - one Kill!!!

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
On a Wildebeast cull hunt. 275 yds with a 350 grain Swift A Frame, 2600 FPS. Facing straight on, Ran about 50 yds.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
161 of George Hoffman's long steps and it lead to my dead buffalo he guided me too. I shot it with a push feed Remington 700 that the factory gave Geo. for the work he did on the 416 cartridge.
That caliber works!

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
Interesting posts. I am trying to decide about picking up a .416. To all of you knowledgeable in the subject, what is the recoil difference between the .416 and the .375. How does it compare to a .470NE double?

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Bwanna, the recoil is significantly more than a 375 H&H, but less than a 458 Win. Mag. -- that's the best way I can describe it. Great cartridge!

AD

one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Bwanna

If your thinking about a .416, then get a .416!!

I did some checking before I got mine back in 1988, It's a good caliber, I've been 100% pleased with it.....

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill C:
Longest...~200-yards frontal shot on a Roan, using a 370gr Northfork, handloaded w/81grns RL-15 at ~2500fps.

THIS IS MY LOAD! THIS IS MY LOAD! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Russ

The doing of unpleasant deeds calls for people of an unpleasant nature.

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
It was an open sighted 416 Weatherby (not that it matters cos it was downloaded) and 320 paces at a wounded impala.

Can't remember the load though.

one of us
posted Hide Post
~ 200 yards on a Rock chuck (Western Marmot). Factory load with the 350 grain Swift A-Frame.

It is not too bad to shoot from a sitting position, but I don't think prone would be a real good idea.

lawndart

PS It is a wonderful cartridge, btw.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
300 plus yards on a big Eland, 225 yards on a Buffalo, and about 200 yards off hand on a running Kudu, as I recall. In all three cases it was with 370 gr. Northfork soft points...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roughly about 250 yards with my cz 550 .416 Rigby, leupold scope 2.5x and Taipan 400 gr projectiles. Really the various .416's almost have 30/06 type trajectory's, recoil is the issue !!

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My longest shot (416 Rigby) was 250 yards on a one-eyed Reed Buck - he was an old warrior and had lost one of his eyes fighting (funny thing what us "boys" will do - including get your eye poked out). I guess I could of got closer depending on which way he was facing Cool

The 416 is "the round" - will do it all, if you can handle the recoil thumb

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My longest shot was 265 yrds on black wildbeest, he turned his head back to check his
short arm collection, took him in the chin and front shoulder. 225 on a blue wildbeest shot through the bottom of the heart he ran 175 to 200 yrds 3 foot of blood trail each side. zebra 200 + yrds shot through the point of rear ham through mid rib cage off side, ran at least 200 yrds. Eland at 125 yrds last rib quartered forward found mid ribcage under the skin, he stood there for 3 0r 4 Minutes before stepping clear allowing a front shoulder shot, that passed throught breaking the shoulder. The load was 81 grs of RL 15 with 350 gr TSX. The round found in the Eland looked like it came out of the Barnes Catalog. My 350 gr tsx .416 load shot flatter than my 270 gr ,375 TSX load.

What a great load.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

one of us
posted Hide Post
Since we are allowing .416 Rigby:

Laser ranged before the shot at a game farm: 347 yards, 350 grain X-Bullet at 2700 fps, hit fallow deer in lower chest, right about sternum, and caused intestines to pop out of split open abdomen.

The bullet continued on across the plain, skipping like a flat stone on a pond, hitting earth about every 100 yards and kicking up dust until it was into the trees and out of sight.

The deer staggered a few steps and laid down. It was good eating.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
A 225 yard shot with my Winchester custom .416 Remington Magnum on a Mountain Reedbuck across a canyon with Safari Ammo's proprietary load pushing a 400 grain Barnes TSX at around 2400 FPS. Don't know who was more surprised when he hit the ground...me or my PH, Russell Lovemore!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
240 Yds. on an Eland. It's also the first animal I killed with it. Load was 350 Gr. X bullet over 81 Gr. RL-15. Seems to be the popular loading, at least for powder.

JD

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanna:
Interesting posts. I am trying to decide about picking up a .416. To all of you knowledgeable in the subject, what is the recoil difference between the .416 and the .375. How does it compare to a .470NE double?

Using 9 lb rifles.
.416 Remington Magnum, 400 grain NP @ 2503 fps, 81.0 grains RL-15: 65 ft lbs 22 fps recoil velocity.
.375 H&H 300 gr NP @ 2600 fps: 45 ft-lb 18 fps recoil velovity.

One of Us
Picture of Bwana Nderobo
posted Hide Post
300m in the Selous, at a Lichtensteins Hartebeeste. Required a second shot, cuz I hit him a bit back of where I wanted, but he wasnt going anywhere. 400gr Swift A-Frame over 78.0 gr of IMR4064, for a chronographed 2,395fps, out of a Winchester Model 70 CRF, Leupold VXIII 1.5-5x. Possibly my favorite rifle.

Phil Massaro
President, Massaro Ballistic Laboratories, LLC
NRA Life Member
B&C Member
www.mblammo.com

Hunt Reports- Zambia 2011
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1481089261

"Two kinds of people in this world, those of us with loaded guns, and those of us who dig. You dig."

Posts: 441 | Location: New Baltimore, NY | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bwana,

My 416 Remington (Custom mod 70) is not even close to my Heym 470 double in recoil.
Big difference!

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
200 yards on an Eland Bull - DRT. Winchester Custom Shop Special Build .416Rem w/Leupold 1.5-5x illuminated circle/dot reticle shooting a 400 gr. Swift A-Frame. A great cartridge that will do anything a .375H&H will do, only better.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot a bison in Utah with mine at 407 yards.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
I consider the recoil of my M70 416 Rem Mag a beast compared to my CZ 375. When I compare it to my 470 the recoil is completely different. The 416 is very sharp while the 470 has a large push.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I must be a ROTTEN hunter because I don't recall shooting anything over 125 or 150 yards with mine. Wink

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2507 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Mine was not with a .416 Remington, but rather it's big brother, the .416 Hoffman. I got my Hoffman right before Remington announced their new offering, courtesy of George Hoffman's assistance.

Just a tad over 300 yards on a gemsbok, shooting a 400 grain trophy bonded bearclaw at 2505 fps, pushed by 81.5 grains of RL15 and a Federal 215M primer. I got this load from Jack Carter, the founder of Trohpy Bonded, and as he said "It's one killin machine."

The Hoffman is only slightly longer to the shoulder than the Remington, so that you can shoot Remington ammunition in a Hoffman, but not the other way around. Brilliant idea George had in that design.

Posts: 3901 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
355 Yards, measured with a rangefinder before the shot on a Cape Buffalo.

No, I do not think I would attempt it again, but it did work out perfectly.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ruger Mod.77; 416 Rigby; 400 Gr.Hdy.SLD; Velo 2400fps; wind 5mph.full value; angle negligible. Scope Weaver 1x3 vari. Animal position, faceing away. Bullet went the full length of body. Impact point apx. 10 in. below the Texas eye.

I would have preferred the Select Safari solids made of Naval brass with a Tungsten Carbide core. These will absolutely not deform.And have a great melplat. Formerly these were loaded in .375 and .416 by Speer and called Nitrex. After Speer was purchaced by ATK/ Federal they are no longer available. Select Safari now has the tooling and manafactures the bullets. My wife has used .375 on elephant and we have yet to recover any bullet.

Sable, 40.250in. on each side. Taken off sticks. Distance 340 yds. Leica lazer. Zimbabwe.

Have taken the FTW Outfitters: SAAM instruction.

Elton Rambin
Mail/Ship: 1802 Horse Hollow Rd.
Barksdale, Texas 78828
Phone: 479 461 3656
Ranch: 830-234-4366
Check our Hunt & Class Schedule
at
www.ftwoutfitters.com

4 Rules of Gun Safety
1/ Treat all guns as though they are loaded.
2/ Never point the muzzle at anything you do not want to shoot.
3/ Do not put your finger on trigger until your sights are on target and you are ready to shoot.
4/ Be sure of your target and safe background.

Posts: 268 | Location: Western Arkansas/Barksdale,TX. USA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kudu4u
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
355 Yards, measured with a rangefinder before the shot on a Cape Buffalo.

No, I do not think I would attempt it again, but it did work out perfectly.

Wendell that is awesome. Do you remember the vertical distance of hold on that shot? Quite sure I would not try it either but I love my .416 for anything from duiker to Cape.

"In these days of mouth-foaming Disneyism......"--- Capstick
Don't blame the hunters for what the poachers do!---me

Benefactor Member NRA

Posts: 477 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 13 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whitetail doe at 375 yards with a 416 Remington/350 grain TSX.

Bullet entered her right hip and came to rest under the skin on the point of her left shoulder. Still weighed 350 grains and was a perfect X.

Dead calm and I had all the time in the world to estimate the range and make the shot.

The 416 RemMag continues to impress.

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kudu4u:
Do you remember the vertical distance of hold on that shot?

The point of the fat part of the crosshair happened to be the 350 yd sight. Held 9" Left for a slight crosswind and hit it perfectly.

I followed that shot with one of the worst shots I have ever made on a Buffalo. About 30 minutes later on another Buffalo from the same herd. 123 yards and made a horrible shot with my 470 NE that happened to kill him instantly.

Apparently, 500 grains administered in a Buffalos ear will kill him.

Problem is that is not where I was aiming!

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I did witness a 600 yard shot (estimated), offhand, iron sights that secured a wounded Sable by hitting him between the eyes.

That was the most impressive shot I have ever seen by any gun, any caliber, anywhere. It was luck, and the shooter knew it, but we were all impressed anyway.

One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
318 yards in SA on a running Eland. I have it on Video. clap
Winchester Model 70 in .416 Rem. Mag. with Rem ammo using a 400 gr, Swift A- frame.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of emron
posted Hide Post
my longest shot with a 416 rigby on buff was 30 yds. it was the only shot, of course.

Posts: 396 | Location: usa | Registered: 26 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill 5248
posted Hide Post
The shot was 285 yards at a moving Waterbuck in the canyons of the Limpopo. Held 5 inches ahead of shoulder and 5 inches above point of impact in the shoulder. The ram's movement took him into the bullet path, so the bullet dropped right into place. This was with a Remington 700 (very accurate guns) and a hand load 325 grain Barnes-X. I also regularly use the various 350 grain and 400 grain Barnes Bullets. I especially like the TSX for accuracy, and the BBS for the same reason. This topic illustrates how versitile the .416 Remington round is. Why hunt with anything else if the .416 is an all-range gun? Most especially, I think, you have to ask why you would ever choose a .375 H&H if you had a .416 available. The range and knock-down power of the .416 with a good scope is very hard to beat. Thanks for asking.

That which is not impossible is compulsory

Posts: 161 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 500 Fan
posted Hide Post
Ranged by my PH with Leica Lazer Binoculars, 428 yards; a large Black Wildebeast. I was shooting a 416 Rigby with 326 grain North Fork bullets (original company) and had a 3.5 X 10 Leupold on QD mounts and could switch with a 1.5 X 5 for 410 Woodleigh's.

This shot was from a rock (literally) steady rest and the bullet actually shot flatter than I expected as I hit him just above the spine after about 5 minutes he got up. No problem with a follow up shot except for the fact the reticle was shook loose on that shot so had to follow and finally killed with my wife's 338-06 of which I have commented on here before.

The display of PURE POWER is nothing short of AWESOME !

1 JOHN 3:18

Posts: 327 | Location: The Beautiful Sandhills of America | Registered: 29 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
43 yards--- 400 gr Swift A Frame at 2400fps out of a lowly Remington push feed --- one shot -- dead buff -- walked 10' and tipped ---game over!!--- did I mention this was accomplished with a lowly push feed Remington 700 OMG!!!

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 932 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote