Find
Notify
Tools

DSC or SCI Shows
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of white north
posted
I have never been to a hunting show. I am planing on going to DSC or SCI next year. Which show do you perfer. Is it better when booking a hunt to go to a show? rather than looking on line and making phone calls? Do you get better prices? I have been to africa twice, and both were booked thru the phone. Both times never meet anybody, just talked to them over the phone. The amount of money I would spend to get to a show is about 4000. Is it worth spending that much to go to a show?

Posts: 126 | Location: Arviat, Nunavut, CANADA | Registered: 02 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mate in my opinion either show will be good - no matter where you want to go in the world. My advice to you is to do a lot of research on your chosen destination - both here and elsehwere on the internet - Identify who the outfitters/areas you are interested in and then come to one of those conventions and sit down with those outfitters and see what they are offering. There is a lot of piece-of mjind in looking an outfitter in the eye and ask them what they are going to do for you!!

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been to both shows and I can say I have never book a hunt at either show. I will say after talking with some oufitters I have crossed them off my list as possible hunts. Maybe in some way that is equally valuable. I agree with Matt you need to do a lot of homework before the show. Even though you can sit with the outfitter/booking agent/ PH etc it is still a short time to do your choosing from scratch. Persdonally I prefer DSC to SCI show and I am a member of both org.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DSC

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
You are probably not going to get a better deal on a safari by going to either show.

The DSC show is great for those who live in or near Texas. If I lived there I would go there yearly but it's smaller than the SCI show and and if you have to travel a distance, I would say spend your money on the SCI show to get the most bang for your buck.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
I would choose DSC. At SCI you have to wade through a lot of furs and jewelry, and that was in Reno. I can only imagine what it will be like in Vegas Roll Eyes
But if it costs you $4000 to get to either show maybe you should skip the shows and work through one of our resident booking agents and put that money towards trophy fees!

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
white north,

The DSC show is smaller than SCI but all the major players are there and I find it easier to have a relax conversation with clients there. It's just not as hectic. The SCI show is really a monster and very busy but if you've never been before you need to attend at least once. There really is nothing quite like it.

I think regardless of what show you choose that you should have most of your research completed before you go if your going with the intent of booking something. If you've narrowed your choices down to 3-4 possible companies the face to face at the show can be quite useful in making your final choice.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13019 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
I actually alternate years - one year I will go to DSC, the other I go to SCI. There are advantages to both. SCI generally has a lot more exhibitors, and since it requires membership to attend ( and higher daily entrance fees), it winnows out some of the weekend "lookers". That said, SCI is still crammed with people on the weekend days. The downside of SCI is that Reno is just hard to get to from anywhere other than the West Coast. If you come from the East or Midwest, you can generally count on a full day of travel. The show being in Las Vegas this year makes it much easier to get to for most folks, regardless of where they live. So, I am going to SCI and not DSC this year.

The Dallas show is smaller, but for me it has a friendlier atmosphere, especially on the weekdays. The exhibitors always seem like they have more time to just shoot the breeze with you, and with less exhibitors, it is easier to see everything in a day or two. It is also less expensive, and you do not have to be a member to attend.

So, take your choice - both are winners.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think that you can go wrong at either show. DSC is a great show, SCI has everything DSC has and much more. If you know where you want to go and who you want to book with ( or at least have narrowed it down) DSC probably works better. If you want to see what the world has to offer go to SCI. DSC is for contracting business, SCI is a spectacle. Not to say that you can't be dazzled in Dallas or conduct business at Reno ( or Las Vegas this year). Both are good shows. If you have seen neither one I would recommend SCI. Why? If you are making your first trip to the big city go to New York, Chicago is great, but it ain't New York.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
Both Shows are good, and you will enjoy either one. I have been to both, but would be reluctant to book a hunt without checking the outfitter out here on AR before I pay a deposit. Just my .02 cents worth!

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
There is an outdoor sports show in Calgary this weekend, I believe. Lots closer.
You have to decide what you are looking for and go from there. DSC is much cheaper entrance fee.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just attended the "Africa Only" show in Atlanta, a 1st class affair w/major players in attendance (John Sharp, Jeff Rand) That's the show that is in Calgary & Toronto...Smaller, intimate, less crowded...PLENTY of time to discuss details w?PH's & one or two booking agents in attendance.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by white north:
I have never been to a hunting show. I am planing on going to DSC or SCI next year. Which show do you perfer. Is it better when booking a hunt to go to a show? rather than looking on line and making phone calls? Do you get better prices? I have been to africa twice, and both were booked thru the phone. Both times never meet anybody, just talked to them over the phone. The amount of money I would spend to get to a show is about 4000. Is it worth spending that much to go to a show?

you might( although i doubt it) spend $4000 going to SCI but no way will it cost $4000 to go to DSC unless you are coming from the moon.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13431 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Jdollar, Nunavut isn't too far from the moon, or might as well be as far as travel.

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Those of you who are devoting only a day or two for your first SCI show are in for a surprise. This year, there are 2,000 exhibitors and more than 1,000,000 square feet of space to cover. You may find "most" or "many" major players at the other shows, but they'll all be in Las Vegas next week.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jdollar

You would be shocked at the prices we pay for our airlines up in the northern part of CANADA. It is cheaper for you to travel to African and back then for me to just get to the nearest city.

Posts: 133 | Location: Eskimo Point - CANADA | Registered: 23 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
damn i knew it was expensive to head south but not that bad. my condolences and pardon my ignorance!.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13431 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I forgot to say there are no roads up here in Nunavut. So the only way in and out is by airplane.

Posts: 133 | Location: Eskimo Point - CANADA | Registered: 23 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Or dog team. Wink Been up your way a time or two so know what you are saying!!

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by Joe Savikataaq Jr:
I forgot to say there are no roads up here in Nunavut. So the only way in and out is by airplane.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jdollar: try 3 airline tickets, rent car and hotel for a week plus eating, from here, and see how much change you see from 4k.

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote