Find
Notify
Tools

Meet Tabasco
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted

Ladies and Gentlemen,

We got this year old cheetah a few days ago, and because he thinks he is so hot, we named him Tabasco!

It seems whoever had him before did not look after him very well, and the poor thing was in a bit of a sad state.

The first photo you see above was taken just as he got here, and we have put him in his own room.

We are keeping him seperate from our other cheetahs for a while, so we can at least try to get his health into shape, and hopefully get him to calm down too.

We are making progress, today was the first day he did not have a go at me as I took him his food.

Earlier he used to come running straight at me with murder in his eyes, but, like all cheetahs they go for your legs rather than your throat, as leopards do.

And as we have had cheetahs for so long, I have learnt to move sides ways and just give him a whack on top of the head with my hand.

That normally settles it, and he then growls but keeps his distance.

The kids look through the window, and watch as he eats his lunch while I sit about 6 feet away and talk to him.

Walter was telling the kids that I can talk "cheetah" language, now my daughter and her friends are asking me to teach them that!?

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68604 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Saaed,

Hope he gets better quick.
Would you mind taking pics of him at regular intervals it would be very interesting how he changes into your pet.

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Concur with SH. Tabasco looks like he'll become a good part of the family. Certainly easier to care for and feed than Walter. clap

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
You can see a change in Tabasco from the first picture with hate in his eyes to the last picture with sort of a guarded but curious attitude.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed - I am glad you rescued him. I have a feeling he will learn to fit right in over time. The last picture reminds me of the way my Maine Coon looked when he started to trust me. Keep his progress posted.

Posts: 71 | Location: St. Michaels, Maryland | Registered: 26 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Well done Saeed! You can tell from the photos that he is "full of it". Your choice of names was perfect!

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Odd how pets and their owners begin to resemble each other. Wink

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And I thought women were beautiful. WOW!

Swift, Silent, & Friendly

Posts: 426 | Location: Nevada | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow. Very neat! How many big cats do you have? I would love to see more pictures. Very neat. Thanks for sharing.

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 897 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cornfield SWO
posted Hide Post
Wow! Very neat. You said you have other cheetahs. Do you hunt them?

Soli Deo Gloria

Posts: 178 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 10 August 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post

Thos Norty, he was the first one we had. He had a bit of an attitude when he first came two, although no way as bad as Tabasco, but eventually he calmed down, to the point that he would not eat for up to 3 days when I wasn't home. We had quite a bit of fun with him, as he was housed next to my office, and sometimes I left the window open when I had visitors - for fresh air, you know. And Norty used to just jump in. That used to stop the conversation dead!

Norty passed away 3 years ago.

This is scary. He got that name because he likes to scare people.

This is Snoopy. We got him and his sister when they were very small. We had them housed in a partitioned area of our kitchen, and grew up to be absolutely adorable pets.

Posts: 68604 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Snoopy not showing for me.
Not trying to be snoopy, but why does Snoopy not show up?
They are handsome animals.
I hopped off the bakkie in Botswana hoping to pet a pair of lounging cheetahs beside the dirt track, but they would have none of it! Wink
You are blessed, Saeed, to have such pets. wave

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
They are gorgeous Saeed; my favorite animal ever created.
You are "The Cheetah Whisperer".

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post

Another way of being licked to death!

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

how dis Walter feel about Tabasco eating a perfectly good chicken before he had a chance to put it on the BBQ?!?!?!?

Great photos and thanks for posting.

Rgds,
K

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted Hide Post
Wow - beautiful creatures there, Saeed. I take it there aren't restrictive laws there regarding keeping these as "pets", eh? Do they come from the wild or mostly as rescues from other people who had them as pets?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 555 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: 09 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's really great. Beautiful cats.

My best friend also rescues big cats...has seven lions, two pumas, and two jaguars. The female jaguar is pettable by him only, but all of the lions have fully reverted and the pumas are just plain fierce.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote