New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cabelas safari shirt discontinued?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Did Cabela's discontinue the Serengeti safari shirt? I was searching their site and couldn't find them anymore.

First they screwed up my favorite shirt by changing the design, now it looks like they quit selling it all together.

Anyone been hoarding some in XL and want to part with them?

Posts: 521 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of #1 of 13
posted Hide Post
I’ve got 4 in 2XL if you decide to put on weight. All worn one or two times.

ZIMBABWE 2016
ZIMBABWE 2017
Zimbabwe 2019

Posts: 172 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 22 May 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I switched to a canvas shirt by LL Bean and one by Magellan. Cheaper.

I leave all of my clothes (except what I am wearing home) in country when I leave.

Posts: 10360 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by #1 of 13:
I’ve got 4 in 2XL if you decide to put on weight. All worn one or two times.

Are you Craig Boddington indisguise? I thought he was the only one selling sweated up shirts....

jumping

Posts: 10360 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Don’t worry, WR just released their Tracker shirt for a mere $245.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boyt makes a good one

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2855 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Filson Feather Cloth is my favorite warm weather shirt to hunt in.

Mac

Posts: 1746 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I second the Filson "Feather Cloth." Not inexpensive. Tight weave cotton, durable, very very light, great for warm weather and easy to layer for cold mornings. I have several Cabelas shirts that don't see Africa anymore. Too heavy when the weather warms mid day.

One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
I use the Columbia cotton fishing shirts in both long and short sleeves.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1439 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LL Bean makes a nice one, about the only one left I like that is available in Tall sizes.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was sad to see them discontinue them, as well. I have long and short sleeve versions in every color but camo. I just about wear them daily at home when not at work. My wife thinks I'm nuts, but.....

Posts: 1447 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been very pleased with the Boyt safari shirts. Good colors, durable fabric, solid construction.

I would bring Russell at the Ultimate Lodge in Vic Falls a couple of the Boyt PH vests when I stayed there. Those of you that knew Russell knew he he liked the sleeveless vests.

Posts: 1132 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back in the day, you'd jump off your BOAC Avro Tudor aircraft (if it hadn't disappeared en route), or possibly, as James '450' Watts did, a steamship, and the first thing your PH would do was take you to his preferred Indian tailor who would run up as many sets of khaki shirts, trousers and bush jackets you might require.

Just sayin'.

Posts: 408 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 01 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RCG:
I have been very pleased with the Boyt safari shirts. Good colors, durable fabric, solid construction.

I would bring Russell at the Ultimate Lodge in Vic Falls a couple of the Boyt PH vests when I stayed there. Those of you that knew Russell knew he he liked the sleeveless vests.

Bad news, Boyt has discontinued all of their Safari clothing line, too. I most recently bought the Courteny Selous shirt from African sporting. Not cheap at $99, but quality and a good weight, not heavy.

NRA benefactor life member
SCI life member
DSC life member

Posts: 242 | Location: Springfield, MO | Registered: 09 September 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Custom, it looks like you are correct. I just looked at their site, www.boytharness.com ,and they are showing reduced prices on the safari shirts and vests perhaps closing out the line.

Too bad. If anyone is looking, now's a good time to buy.

Posts: 1132 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, I called them and asked what was up. The person I spoke to had no idea as they sold well. My conspiracy theory is they want to distance themselves from African hunting, along with Filson, Cabelas and others. Not many left in the game, sadly.

SCI life member
DSC life member

Posts: 242 | Location: Springfield, MO | Registered: 09 September 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Custom:
My conspiracy theory is they want to distance themselves from African hunting, along with Filson, Cabelas and others. Not many left in the game, sadly.

I have the same theory.

Posts: 521 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Sorry to shoot holes in your in your conspiracy theory but as the president of Boyt I can assure you that we are not trying to distance ourselves from African hunting. We are one of the most pro-hunting companies in the industry if not the most pro-hunting company period and we have no trouble publicly standing behind that statement. The decision to discontinue much of our Safari clothing is based on the sad fact that the business just is not there anymore. As an example, a minimum run for any clothing item is 2200 pieces per style, per color so if you roll out an eight piece Safari line in two colors that's an inventory investment at cost of over a million dollars. There is simply not the demand anymore to justify even a fraction of that amount, believe me, I wish there was.
As a company, we have given back more than a million dollars to pro hunting conservation groups in the last five years alone. Personally, every spare hour I have is spent in pro-hunting efforts serving in board member and officer roles with the Boone and Crockett Club, Wild Sheep Foundation and the Jack O'Connor Center. To nuance that Boyt is not pro-hunting is absurd.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Boom

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tony Caligiuri:
Sorry to shoot holes in your in your conspiracy theory but as the president of Boyt I can assure you that we are not trying to distance ourselves from African hunting. We are one of the most pro-hunting companies in the industry if not the most pro-hunting company period and we have no trouble publicly standing behind that statement. The decision to discontinue much of our Safari clothing is based on the sad fact that the business just is not there anymore. As an example, a minimum run for any clothing item is 2200 pieces per style, per color so if you roll out an eight piece Safari line in two colors that's an inventory investment at cost of over a million dollars. There is simply not the demand anymore to justify even a fraction of that amount, believe me, I wish there was.
As a company, we have given back more than a million dollars to pro hunting conservation groups in the last five years alone. Personally, every spare hour I have is spent in pro-hunting efforts serving in board member and officer roles with the Boone and Crockett Club, Wild Sheep Foundation and the Jack O'Connor Center. To nuance that Boyt is not pro-hunting is absurd.

I stand corrected. My apologies, Tony. Thank you and your company for supporting hunting and wildlife conservation. I miss your safari gear, though. It was among my favorite gear for Africa. And, if you happen to come across a green safari jacket, long sleeve, size large, in your warehouse, I’ll take it!

SCI life member
DSC life member

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:

I’d say welcome, but you’ve been around. I love your products; from the best canvas gun cases on the market, to great apparel, to the great Mud River dog products.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your input Tony...
I've bought many Boyt products and have been happy with them.
I will be taking my Boyt duffels to Africa twice this year.

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the very nice comments on our products and company, they are much appreciated!
Custom, I will have our warehouse folks look for a large safari jacket in green first thing Monday morning, I am pretty sure we may have one but it might have a DSC or an SCI logo on it.
Thanks again everyone.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Classic companies like Boyt are rare. I miss Dunn’s (acquired by Cabela’s, I think, then eventually dissolved), Willis & Geiger (there might be a revival out there), but then there’s Abercrombie & Fitch (no need to comment further).

Thank you, Tony.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Tony.

SCI life member
DSC life member

one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thank you all for the very nice comments on our products and company, they are much appreciated!
Custom, I will have our warehouse folks look for a large safari jacket in green first thing Monday morning, I am pretty sure we may have one but it might have a DSC or an SCI logo on it.
Thanks again everyone.

Wow. A name from the distant past. Hope you are well.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Good to hear from you Tony, hope things are good in Arizona as well!

posted Hide Post
For anyone infested in Boyt Safari clothing, our customer service department should have an updated list with discount prices ready by Thursday. Some of it will have an SCI logo on it and some of it may be slightly off color but it should be a good selection at really good prices.641.342.6773

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Orvis ones are quite good at $99 each. You can find $25 off coupons regularly bringing them down to $75...about what they're worth.

Posts: 238 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: 15 May 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been happy with the 2 TAG safari shirts I have. I also like the canvas shirts from LL Bean (not safari style).
I still have several of Cabela's safari shirts in both short and long sleeves, and still like them.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
For anyone infested in Boyt Safari clothing, our customer service department should have an updated list with discount prices ready by Thursday. Some of it will have an SCI logo on it and some of it may be slightly off color but it should be a good selection at really good prices.641.342.6773

Thanks, Tony!

SCI life member
DSC life member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gsganzer,

I've got two of the newer style in XL short sleeve that I washed but never wore. British tan color. I know that I'll never wear them. If you want them, they are yours. Just PM me your address and I'll get them shipped out.

Posts: 60 | Location: Utah | Registered: 17 July 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gayne C. Young
posted Hide Post
I miss Willis & Geiger!

Visit my homepage
www.gaynecyoung.com

Posts: 710 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: 10 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For the double rifle I really liked the Cabela Serengeti shirt. Fortunately I purchased several off Ebay.

I do not use an open culling belt for spare rounds as I tend to rub/bang the rifle stock on the exposed rounds in the belt. I find the four round storage slots in the left pocket very handy as I can carry the first two reload rounds in the pocket and put the two rounds in the rifle in the other two spots when I unload to get in the truck. I carry another 6 rounds in a covered belt pouch. The two rounds in the shirt pocket shell holders can used for a VERY rapid reload.

Posts: 161 | Location: Dallas area | Registered: 07 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am certainly not a fashion plate. For our trips to Africa, my W 1 FE unit and I shopped for khaki clothing at our local Goodwill and Salvation Army thrift stores. We left most of the clothing in Africa, and I don't think the locals cared whether the stuff was top of the line or not. Boots are another matter. I want good boots. Shirts and pants don't raise blisters. Smiler

Most of my money I spent on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted

Posts: 261 | Location: Saint Thomas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 14 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thank you Tony. I too will be looking for another jacket in a large as well. That jacket has become my favorite lounge jacket bar none. I will miss it when it finally goes.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shame the Boyt website and payment system isnt set up for international orders thumbdown

Formerly Gun Barrel Ecologist

Posts: 324 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 04 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Might have to pick up some more boyt stuff

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2855 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote