Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser '98 ID Help
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted
Being pretty much a Mauser nut and comimg across this rifle a few years ago, I said I have to have it. Problem is, I am not really sure what it is.

A few details of the markings on the barrel;
- 6,5x57 caliber
- Germania, Waffenwerk
- A.G. Zella-Mehlis

The top of the front reciever ring is matted/stippled. There are no other markings on the reciever. Two leaf rear sight and a ramp front. Barrel front sling swival soldered on the barrel. Not drilled and tapped. The stock and bottom metal, though seem period to the rifle do not appear to be origonal.

Does anyone have any ideas? Or is there a good direction I should look for more info?

My main concern is weather I should use this rifle as a project action/stock and rebarrel D/T reciever or leave it the way it is.

BigBullet

BigBullet

"Half the FUN of the travel is the esthetic of LOSTNESS" Ray Bradbury
https://www.facebook.com/Natal...443607135825/?ref=hl

Posts: 1224 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
If you do a forum search I think you'll find ALF gave us the run down on this a while ago.

one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
Hello Steve,

Thank you for the info. I have spent the last hour or so happily going over ALF's many posts and pictures of Mausers. Reviewing all those Mauser pictues was fun. Doesn't quite get at the AG Zella-Mehlis designation though and this is what I was most curious about.

Steve, is this caliber, 6.5x57, popular in Africa? I would think it might be an ideal small bore for springbok, imapala, mt reedbuck, etc.

BigBullet

BigBullet

Posts: 1224 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
BB

Alf's absolutely brilliant IMO. - The fount of all firearm knowledge!

I guess the 6.5 x 57 is reasonably popular (esp) with local hunters out here - although I personally don't see many overseas hunters using them. I guess the most popular calibres used by overseas hunters are probably 30.06 & 375 H&H.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Where is Alf anyway? Haven't seen him here in weeks!

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
At least - Hope he's OK.

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Big bullet sorry to hijack this, but i have a mauser 98 id problem too.

i have a mauser action marked oberndov, 30-06,single shallow v rear sight and front sight band, skinny barrel, the action has a right side safety catch not the mauser safety. it has a standard 5 box and a light wood stock, plastic butt plate.

the gun dealer said it looked like a voere, but i'm not so sure. i bought it as a bakkie gun and would like so help in identifying where it came from. thanks so much to big bullet and th alf, who will no dout have the answer.hahaha

cheers, tm.

"one of the most common african animals is the common coolerbok(or coleman's coolerbok). Many have been domesticated and can be found in hunting camps, lodges and in the back of vehicles."

Posts: 252 | Location: Singapore | Registered: 26 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
ALF,

Thank you for the ID. Does this have any collector value. The reason I ask is that when I purchased this rifle, I really wanted the action and the stock, my plan was to rebarrel, drill/tap the reciever,bend bolt, etc.

I beleive this rifle may have been set up with double set triggers and the trigger set and bottom metal has been changed out. The stock has been inletted behing the trigger for the shotgun style trigger guard. Also the stock is very nice, small oval check piece, shnabel? forend, and very nicely checkered through the wrist area.

BTW, how was your trip, any interesting stories? I enjoyed going through all your previous posts/pictures on the Mausers.

BigBullet

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Smiler It's not worth anything, but I'll give you fifty bucks for it anyway! Want my address?

wave

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote