New
Find
Notify
Tools

update on "eyedoc's" hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
It will be another 5 weeks before "eyedoc" will come back to the states and make a full hunt report with pictures however the first week is going well. It took him about 4 days to get to the Caprivi, flew in to I believe Katuma Mulilo, not real sure on my spelling. Saw over 300 zebras the first day, one elephant, not a shooter and heard Hippos all night. Today he awoke to cold and windy weather and apparently got a shot on a decent bull. It is a ceremonial, non-exportable bull but he brained the bull at 20 yards. He will give a detailed report with pictures on his return. Hippo next on the list. I will hook up with him in 3 weeks over there.

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds good!

Who is his PH?

I have 7 days to go till we head that direction.

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I could be wrong but I believe he is with Vaughn Fulton or one of his PH's. He is in the bush right now so no further report.

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Eyedoc is with Fred. Sean and his dad are hunting with Vaughan. So far they have taken 2 Elephants since arriving mid-day on Monday. They will chase Buffalo and Hippo tomorrow.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Sounds like all is going very well. Looking forward to pictures and a full report on his return.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
So far they have taken 2 Elephants since arriving mid-day on Monday.

That was certainly quick, but I am not surprised. When I was there, Salambala was overrun with elephant.

Glad to hear of their good luck so far.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13625 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Wendell, if you get any more news on Fred and eyedoc and the rest of the group please give us an update.

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I am going to see if Vaughan will e-mail me pictures. He sent me an email the other day from camp.

It said, "I sent this picture from camp, pretty cool huh?"

No, it wasn't a picture of an Elephant or his camp or the river or the sunset ... it was a picture of his right foot.

This is not too surprising to anyone who has spent very much time with Vaughan.

one of us
posted Hide Post
At least he could of done some bird impressions!

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am going to see if Vaughan will e-mail me pictures. He sent me an email the other day from camp.

It said, "I sent this picture from camp, pretty cool huh?"

No, it wasn't a picture of an Elephant or his camp or the river or the sunset ... it was a picture of his right foot.

This is not too surprising to anyone who has spent very much time with Vaughan.

My bet is he will contrive a perfectly good explanation for sending a picture of his right foot and I have no doubt that it will be followed by a picture of his left foot.

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Greensboro, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having spent some 20 plus days with Vaughn, be glad it was his foot and not his face... rotflmo

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jorge400:
My bet is he will contrive a perfectly good explanation for sending a picture of his right foot and I have no doubt that it will be followed by a picture of his left foot.

He said many women found his feet to be sexy.

It must be lonely in the Caprivi ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wendell just because one blind woman says that it does not make it so. You should not spread such
lies just because you book for him.
Man it is fun picking on old Vaughn.
On you nightly call to him please send him my best. jumping

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeff h:
Wendell just because one blind woman says that it does not make it so. You should not spread such
lies just because you book for him.
Man it is fun picking on old Vaughn.
On you nightly call to him please send him my best. jumping

Go figure. The drunken game guard's wife utters something that loosely translates to nice boots and the next thing you know Fulton is emailing his peds around the world. rotflmo

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Greensboro, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Go figure. The drunken game guard's wife utters something that loosely translates to nice boots and the next thing you know Fulton is emailing his peds around the world. rotflmo

Now that's funny, I don't care who you are.

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Wow, this thread deteriorated quickly.

I will try to get some photos to get us back on track.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another short update,, "eyedoc" got his hippo today. He used his 375 H&H to take the two ton animal.Nope, I didn't weigh it. Aparently 3 shots with solids to the head and it was lights out. He will give a full report with photos on his return,,,if we do not get pictures of Vaughn's feet,, maybe he will send a few pictures before eyedoc gets home. I am taking his bow to him in 18 days, but who is counting,,,ME!

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:

Close.

I called Vaughan today, they were headed out to hunt Buffalo. I asked him to send photos of the Hippo, Elephants and Buffalo they shot.

Would you believe that he sent me another picture of his right foot today? This time with a boot on. With the quote "First you saw it now you won't, leather over leather."

Keep in mind, he has no idea we are talking about his feet here.

No picture of the Hippo, but SDHall and his dad shot NT Elephant and Buffalo. He sent me a picture of the Elephant, but no pics from eyedoc's hunt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Vaughans defense it may just be he doesn't know how to use the camera Big Grin.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Close...

...Would you believe that he sent me another picture of his right foot today? This time with a boot on...

It could just be that he doesn't know his left from his right. Big Grin

Thanks for posting the pic of the elephant. Contrats to the hunters. Keep them coming.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wendell-the problem is sunstroke-with all the reflection off off those three bald heads they are in serious trouble-best you and I rush over to help!!!

Bob Clark

Posts: 330 | Location: Vanderhoof'British Columbia | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ahh, there's too much going on here to comment on properly. I will take a nap and think further on it. The phrase "rinky dink" keeps coming to mind...

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm Baaaaack! Will send some photos to Wendell so hopefully they can be posted. I realize that Vaughn's feet may hold special interest to some out there but hopefully others will be looking forward to the animal photos. Full report to follow as soon as I can stand and support myself without help.

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Welcome back -- I look forward to non-foot photos. Big Grin

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Eyedoc, hope all is safe at home getting there right with Gustav...
Loking forward to all of your hunt and pics..

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kudu4u
posted Hide Post
Eyedoc and drwes thanks for the updates. Drwes I was just about to PM for yours and his hunt status. I do continue to wish the both of you the very best as your hunts continue and begin. I hope to have my hunt report up on AR soon.

Jeff

"In these days of mouth-foaming Disneyism......"--- Capstick
Don't blame the hunters for what the poachers do!---me

Benefactor Member NRA

Posts: 477 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 13 July 2005Reply With Quote