New
Find
Notify
Tools

Customs Broker question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
In my past trips, I have used a customs broker and no problem. This past year, my hunting partners wanted to save money and combine trophies and send to a different port. I get a notification from a broker to sign the power of atty and a request to sign a blank credit card authorization. I refuse to sign the credit card, but do sign the POA. They claim the credit card authorization is mandatory. I refuse. I am only bringing in 2 animals and one partner is bringing in 12. He gets a bill for $700 and I send him a check thinking it is for both of us. The customs broker starts emailing me requesting payment and my bill is the same $700. I think it is a mistake. They claim my game will not be released until payment. I ignore it, because I think it is a mistake.

My taxidermist emails me pictures of my horns and skulls, as they were released and sent. The skins go to a tannery. Then the broker sends email saying my skins will not be released until payment and contacts the tannery and tells them not to release the skins until I pay.

I contact them and they claim I owe money, but admit they did release skulls. I ask for a breakdown and they claim I have a baboon skull. I tell them this in not true and they say they don't open the crate and it was written somewhere so they are charging me.

So I have these red flags. They claim no release without funds, but after my partner paid, they release skulls and cape. They now claim I am to be charged for a baboon. They are telling tannery not to release skins and my bill is the same as my partner who had numerous animals.

I respect people's opinions on this board. This situation has irritated me. My partner sent me back my check and said to keep him advised. It is not a money issue, but seems like a rip off situation and that is why I am mad. I owe some money to someone and in the past trips, even with many critters, I have never paid more than $380 for my customs broker.

I would appreciate any input.

Cheers, PG

Posts: 153 | Location: Riverside, CA Lake Havasu, AZ | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I don't know if you're still on the hook because you DID sign the POA form. You may need to pay the money since the form was signed by you.

$700 for a CB is way too much, IMO!!!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This isn't gonna help, but it sure sounds like you are getting ripped off. That being said, if you were doing all of this for yourself and your buddy, and it was a new broker, I'd have had a chat with him before the POA. Also never heard of an open CC authorization. Also, I thought they had to open the crate to clear things, not just take it off the paperwork.

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
You can combine shipments, but seperate paper work has to be done for EACH hunter in the shipment. You are going to have to pay the same broker fees as your friend because each hunters trophies in the shipment have to be cleared seperatly. The ONLY thing you save on when you combine a shipment is the freight charges as you can split that between the hunters.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2012 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know the horse is out of the barn, but it really isn't difficult to clear your own trophies if you live near a port of entry. It takes about two hours or so. I'm not a pro, just average hunter. I've advised others here at AR, so you could do a search. Or, shoot me a PM.
Brice

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the thoughts. I have paid the ransom, but will not make the same mistake twice. I will use the CB, I have used in my previous trips, who works with my Taxidermist and was very efficient and reasonable.

Cheers, PG

Posts: 153 | Location: Riverside, CA Lake Havasu, AZ | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
By the way, who is the customs broker that you paid the ransom to? It doesn't help the rest of us to not know. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What me and my buddies did on the last couple of trips was to put everything in one person's name, since we all live pretty close to each other and use the same taxidermist. That way we only get one charge for all the administrative stuff.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted Hide Post
In the past, I've done exactly what David Culpepper had done. Also I clear my trophies through customs and fish and wildlife myself. It's not hard to do and saves you money.

Posts: 665 | Location: Oregon or Namibia | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I am a licensed Customs broker in NY and some of the above is correct. You may combine shipments but each hunter must have their own ppwk for their animals as Jerry explained. By having done as one shipment you should be saving on freight from overseas as well as delivery in states. Entry done in the US should be based on one shipment with a slight charge for addl hunters. I beleive PG should get a copy of original invoice to see where his charges should be.

Matt Mayers
LCHB

Northeastern CHB
175-01 Rockaway Blvd suite 311
Jamaica NY 11434
Tel 718 917 7733
Fax 718 917 8661
E-Mail Mattm@necb.net
Skype matt.mayers1matt

Posts: 2 | Location: Atlantic Beach NY | Registered: 01 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Hey Matt: Good to see you here on AR! Are you still working with John?

one of us
posted Hide Post
-
quote:
USE ENOUGH GUN-By the way, who is the customs broker that you paid the ransom to? It doesn't help the rest of us to not know.

PG - Would you please let us know who your former Broker is?

Posts: 389 | Location: Montana, USA | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Nope no longer with John. I have begun my own division and am available for questions and clearances. I love this sight, seems like the place to go for the real scoop.

Posts: 2 | Location: Atlantic Beach NY | Registered: 01 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Coppersmith--ATL as I am too far from ATL to handle myself....never had a problem---individual shipments, combined shipments, large and small shipments, CITES shipments and holding in their warehouse for a while when I was off on another trip....BTW, all were finished in Africa taxidermy.

Posts: 696 | Location: Soddy Daisy, TN USA | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote