THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    2007 Zimbabwe PH proficiency examination

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2007 Zimbabwe PH proficiency examination
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Photos below courtesy of Don Heath, Editor of Afrian Hunter magazine. The photos were taken during the 2007 Zimbabwe professional hunters proficiency examination. Don should pop up in a few hours to describe the photos to us.

___

Photo 1 Tracking a wounded buffalo in the jesse. Great fun. The old boy finished off with a charge from about 20 m and droped to a .416 walterhog bullet in the spine from Doug Campbell.

___

Photo 2 Group D L-R Dirk Mostert, Doug Campbell, Ray Makweh (National Parks examiner), Chris Sibanda and Mat Gotora

___

Photo 3- Wednesday night was the souce of great excitement. An old Lioness decided that eating buffalo was just too much like hard work, and that she fancied something with no teeth, horns or even excess hair- something that looked like Clinton Rodgers in the shower to be precise. In the comotion and Clint objecting to being dinner, she pushed off, but around midnight ripped the fly sheet off a pup tent in which a camp hand was sleeping - a burning brand and much noise chaced her away. At some point in the night she walked into the tent pictured, where Doug Gilbert was sleeping. Doug didn't wake up when she was arround and left to go on an elephant recovery at 4 am. Here one of his camp hands is pointing out the spoor to senior Warden Norman Monks (Officer comanding mana pools park)

___

Photo 4- At 4:30 AM Norman Monks and I along with three candidates made our way to a blind built by Dirk Mostert about 75m behind Clint Rodgers camp. It had been from this blind that I had seen the lioness the previous afternoon. The bait had hardly been touched (her teeth turned out to be all broken), and she wasn't lying up nest to the spring either...so rather than wait for another attemp, I organised a sweep. Just beyond Doug Gilberts camp we heard a bush buck bark, and moved out from the old dam wall. Shooting left handed, I took the right of the line.

After about 50 m I had that watched feeling, and stopped the sweep whilst everybody checked everything in sight and especially behind. We began to move forward again and Iwith Doug Campbell on my left veered off slightly to check a thick sheperds bush. ( Norman and the other two candidates moved towards a thick tangle of combretum). About 15 metres out I saw a tail flick and doug said he could see 'a blazing yellow furnace' watching us. I stepped forward onto a small ridge and told doug to shoot as soon as he had a target,

When I spoke the lioness shifted to get a better angle on me, and Doug smoked her neatly. Front, L-R Clinton Rodgers, Doug Campbell, Dirk Mostert. Behind, myself and Norman Monks

___

Photo 5 - Hard to beet a red dot for close and fast!

___

Photo 6 - Practicing getting in close

___

Photo 7 _ Dirk Mostert showing how it is done

___

Photo 8- Just got to boast Big Grin Find some other PH exam that offers this

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting these dan - the internet is too slow to allow it from here.

Basically a good exam- held at Chimutsi dam at the base of the Zambezi escarpment in Nyakasanga safari area.

Photo 1 Tracking a wounded buffalo in the jesse. Great fun. The old boy finished off with a charge from about 20 m and droped to a .416 walterhog bullet in the spine from Doug Campbell

Photo 2 Group D L-R Dirk Mostert, Doug Campbell, Ray Makweh (National Parks examiner), Chris Sibanda and Mat Gotora

Photo 3- Wednesday night was the souce of great excitement. An old Lioness decided that eating buffalo was just too much like hard work, and that she fancied something with no teeth, horns or even excess hair- something that looked like Clinton Rodgers in the shower to be precise. In the comotion and Clint objecting to being dinner, she pushed off, but around midnight ripped the fly sheet off a pup tent in which a camp hand was sleeping - a burning brand and much noise chaced her away. At some point in the night she walked into the tent pictured, where Doug Gilbert was sleeping. Doug didn't wake up when she was arround and left to go on an elephant recovery at 4 am. Here one of his camp hands is pointing out the spoor to senior Warden Norman Monks (Officer comanding mana pools park)

Photo 4- At 4:30 AM Norman Monks and I along with three candidates made our way to a blind built by Dirk Mostert about 75m behind Clint Rodgers camp. It had been from this blind that I had seen the lioness the previous afternoon. The bait had hardly been touched (her teeth turned out to be all broken), and she wasn't lying up nest to the spring either...so rather than wait for another attemp, I organised a sweep. Just beyond Doug Gilberts camp we heard a bush buck bark, and moved out from the old dam wall. Shooting left handed, I took the right of the line.

After about 50 m I had that watched feeling, and stopped the sweep whilst everybody checked everything in sight and especially behind. We began to move forward again and Iwith Doug Campbell on my left veered off slightly to check a thick sheperds bush. ( Norman and the other two candidates moved towards a thick tangle of combretum). About 15 metres out I saw a tail flick and doug said he could see 'a blazing yellow furnace' watching us. I stepped forward onto a small ridge and told doug to shoot as soon as he had a target,

When I spoke the lioness shiifted to get a better angle on me, and Doug smoked her neatly. Front, L-R Clinton Rodgers, Doug Campbell, Dirk Mostert. Behind, myself and Norman Monks

Photo 5 - Hard to beet a red dot for close and fast!

Photo 6 - Practicing getting in close

Photo 7 _ Dirk Mostert showing how it is done

Photo 8- Just got to boast Big Grin Find some other PH exam that offers this

Posts: 244 | Location: Zimbabwe/Sweden | Registered: 09 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the man-eating lioness proficiency test was going on at the same time as yours! Glad this particular lioness failed! Big Grin

By the looks of that hole in her shoulder, Doug must have been using a cannon. Any info on caliber and load?

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13625 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Having hunted in South Africa, Tanzania and Zimbabwe, I have to say that there is simply no comparision when it comes to the professionalism and training of the professional hunters. Zimbabwe is heads and tails above the rest. There were several occasions at lunch when Buzz would quiz our videographer who was an apprentice on trees, shrubs, tracks, etc. I was very impressed with both their knowledge and the seriousness with which they approach their training.

Mike

Posts: 21692 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What rifle is the red dot mounted on? Looks like a sweet package.

Posts: 297 | Location: Bainbridge Island,WA | Registered: 07 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very interesting. I was looking forward to this info so thanks for posting it. Looks like a great class Ganyana. What did the students have in their packs?

Mike are you referring to Guy? He took his written exam after you left but no word yet on the outcome. He was on my hunt as well and Alan spent a lot of time asking him the same things. It was funny because after several times on the same question I would know the answer and Guy wouldn't. We laughed about it but Guy is a good egg.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
No, Guy was in town for my hunt. The videographer was Justin. I think he has actually decided to focus on filming and not pursue being a PH, but as I recall he is still considered an apprentice. My sense is that while Guy might not have all of the trees and bushes down he certainly has the partying part of being a PH down.

Mike

Posts: 21692 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kind of hard to get after Guy when you know who he works for. dancing

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I know who that guy is in the pic with the lioness Clinton Rogers of Tshabezi safaris...
Met him while hunting with his Dad in 04..

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rifle was a .416 Rem shooting a Walterhog bullet on top of 82grns S355.

The wound in her shoulder is the exit from the back up shot. When Dougs' bullet hit she did a neat 180 deg flip But I felt an insurance what was called for.

The red Dot is a Burris TSX mounted on a Damoulin 9,3x62 - note the extended magazine Wink

Yukon _ Candidates on the exam are required to carry water for the examiners (Clients) first aid kit, skinning knives etc- in brief, everything they would normally distribute between their trackers/crew. On the exam, they are not allowed support staff to help them. They have to prove they can track and skin as well as set up an approach, judge trophy quality - oh and shoot well enough to protect their clients if all goes pear shaped.

If there is a fault- it is on trophy judgement of plains game. The South Africans and Namibians eat us on this score. It forms a very minor part of the exam.

Posts: 244 | Location: Zimbabwe/Sweden | Registered: 09 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
Fantastic pictures and story!
Thanks Don for sharing it with us.

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Allout
posted Hide Post
Good show Don. Nothing like getting to play a little cat and mouse with a big, old, worn-out pussy cat eh?
Keep up the good work and Cheers to you,
Brian

"If you can't go all out, don't go..."

Posts: 745 | Location: NE Oklahoma | Registered: 05 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Don. The exams are really interesting and I bet that most of us would like hearing more about all of it including the written. I know some of the examiners get heavily into the flora side of it due to eco side of the business. If I understand it correctly, there is one exam for both eco and hunting PHs?

That Dumoulin is an interesting setup. I hadn't noticed the extended mag at first. That would make carrying it a little tougher. Any idea how much ammo it held?

Sounds like the guys did pretty good. I have heard stories from current PH's of exams that did not go so well. By the time they get here you would think they would be weeded out.

One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the pictures Don. Did any of the candidates end up getting fully licensed?

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Thanks Don ,your exams and tests are now pretty popular in our gun club ,in future PHs courses we will be using your system .Ihope in the near future to atted this course as observer .I spoke about your combat experience too to a local swat team class ,thank you your real experience is very usefull .Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
Great stuff.

Looks like the red dot scope is tuff enough.

Gerhard

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bwana

Iternet is a trouble from zim today....

Several candidates passed Eeker

After all, before they can come on the proficiencey they have
1) written 4 x 3hr theory exams
2) Served a minimum of a 2 year apprenticeship
3) Shot a minimum of 5 dangerous game personally (composed of a mix of lion, elephant and Buff)
4) Passed the MARS advanced first aid certificate
5) Passed the ZSSF Shooting exam
6) Passed an oral exam/interview to make sure they have a resasonable chance on the proficiency

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Allout
posted Hide Post
G -
Did the Prinsloo kid come to take the exam and if so, did he pass?

"If you can't go all out, don't go..."

Posts: 745 | Location: NE Oklahoma | Registered: 05 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
Ganyana,
Thanks for the info. That's good news. With all one can criticize Zim over, the proficiency and training of it's PH's is not one of them.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Ganyana: will you or the association publish an updated list of PHs? jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don
Thank you for the post. Question If I hunt Zim again do you think that it would be effective to use Clinton as my lion bait. Seems that he did pretty well in that capacity during the exams dancing

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1231 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
els - anything you hunt with Clinton around is successful! I seem to remember Dudley's ability to get you a great tusker with Clinton in tow. Was Clinton the bait for that one? Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Clinton is a Wonderful hunter and person with a great family. I have had great hunts with him and Dudley.
He is supposed to get on the forum when he comes out of the bush with these last hunts that he has. It will be joy to have him here.

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1231 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote