New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best way to accomplish big 5
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Like most I got some Buffalo. But looking to do this now as I have new goals and this is a worthy one (I think). Looking for countries and operators you would recommend and best species to combine. Understand lion and rhino especially will be difficult and expensive especially for anything that resembles a real
Hunt. Life is short and good to have important goals. Is this even feasible today?

Thanks for the input

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2847 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gunslinger,

With enough of a budget and time a lion, leopard, buffalo and elephant could be combined quite easily in Zim. A rhino would need to be a separate hunt in RSA.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12865 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting. How long is a hunt like that? Is it better to break them down financially or do it all at once?

White Mountains Arizona

one of us
posted Hide Post
Without a doubt it would be less expensive to do it all on one long safari. You might accomplish this on one 28 day safari.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12865 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunslinger55:
Interesting. How long is a hunt like that? Is it better to break them down financially or do it all at once?

Lion/leopard is a very typical hunt and can be done as reasonable as possible in Zim as well as Moz/Niassa and Zambia
Elephant in Zim can be added but I would do a separate hunt and you could do non trophy bull in Zim or Caprivi for example very economically or trophy in numerous areas

Rhino…you can dart one…I did it with a bow in Namibia years ago…or RSA. We see Bull hunts in the Limpopo here with bossie for say $24k

Your Lion/leopard is a 100k hunt…elephant $25-40k..rhino 15-25k or more

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Totally do-able. With the right budget, even "super easy"! (I don't have the right budget so I'm kidding around a bit.)

You said you have some buffalo, so 20% of the way there...

Real-deal wild lion is obviously the big expense. Although once in a while, a really nice deal pops up here. But I have yet to see a modern-day "screaming bargain" here.

Some great savings can be found with non-exportable elephant. I did that, and I'm more than happy with the reproduction tusks. But if you could combine lion with ele, then you're already going to pay the ridiculous shipping/clearing costs anyway, so might as well spend a little more & have the ele be exportable.

Leopard deals at $20k and under are often found. I did that, and got a huge tom. HOWEVER, the place I went wasn't very good for PG, so didn't get a lot else of note. In retrospect, would have been a better hunt if I spent more & hunted in a great combo area.

Thought about doing rhino a couple times. But I got a hippo on land, and in my mind that's most likely a better hunt anyway.

Posts: 434 | Location: CA.  | Registered: 26 October 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great replies thanks. I got tons of plains game so not that interested unless something super cool. Good to hear it’s possible. No canned lions for me so good to hear you can still bag a wild one. So full bag safari the way to go interesting. Or break it down for spreading the cost out. Very good

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Mark.

It will be cheaper to do it all in one go. However all depends on budget.

One more bit of advice is to pay the extra to hunt in an areas where your success rate is high.
Going cheap will often mean you have to go several times and this would end up costing far more than paying a high price for a high quality area.

Thor Kirchner
Munyamadzi Game Ranch
+260 978157643
P.O. Box 570049
Nyimba, Zambia
www.thorwildlifesafaris.com
munyamadzi@live.com

Posts: 313 | Location: Luangwa, Zambia | Registered: 04 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thor Kirchner:
One more bit of advice is to pay the extra to hunt in an areas where your success rate is high.
Going cheap will often mean you have to go several times and this would end up costing far more than paying a high price for a high quality area.

I like this bit of advice, best. I've hunted buffalo and elephant thusfar, and I'm planned for lioness in the Save next year. Thinking about leopard two years to follow and Namibian hunts look like a great deal, however still sorting out whether or not the average of success is enough to outweigh the higher costs in Zim or Zambia.

Rhino in RSA has certainly come down immensely.

Posts: 1426 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can probably take all in Namibia (plus hippo and croc).

Your success rate for elephant, buffalo and rhino should be 100%. Leopard and lion are so so but hey I can’t think of many other places to take the big 7 on one hunt.

Posts: 388 | Location: Limpopo, South Africa | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it also depends if you want to just tick the boxes OR if you are being selective of the kind of trophies you want to take.

Which depends upon one's budget! For example elephant hunts range from 20k to 80k+

I have a smoking deal on a great lion hunt if you want to start Smiler

Arjun Reddy
Hunters Networks LLC
www.huntersnetworks.com
30 Ivy Hill Road
Brewster, NY 10509
Tel: +1 845 259 3628

Watch GUNSTIX Shooting Sticks in action
Short version https://youtu.be/HYoF1nR9JFo?si=aUeCBW_G5OJAK26f
Long version https://youtu.be/NJ96K8T-ttc

2024 SHOW BOOTHS:
DSC (Dallas 11th-14th January) booth #950
SCI (Nashville 31st Jan-3rd Feb) booth #411
Western Hunting and Conservation Expo (Salt lake city 15th-18th February) booth # 319

Posts: 2536 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
I accomplished the 5 but each on a seperate trip. My goal was to hunt more not shoot more. It was not cheaper to do it this way but I think it was more fun. Each hunt was done at a reasonable pace. If you go for all 5 in 28 days you may have to hustle to get it done.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1237 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good point. Combining a couple seems like a good plan

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
White rhino or black rhino?
The latter will cost a lot more, but possible in RSA and Namibia.
I wonder if either can be hunted in unfenced places where they have never been (re-)introduced. In RSA a range of 'wild' will be available, along a range of prices, even including de-horned ones which come cheaper.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah it’s seems rhino might be the biggest obstacle ? Hopefully on a big piece of land and not tame not into canned hunts

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For the big 5 does it matter which one?

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is it posted?

QUOTE]Originally posted by reddy375:
I think it also depends if you want to just tick the boxes OR if you are being selective of the kind of trophies you want to take.

Which depends upon one's budget! For example elephant hunts range from 20k to 80k+

I have a smoking deal on a great lion hunt if you want to start Smiler

Arjun Reddy
Hunters Networks LLC
www.huntersnetworks.com
30 Ivy Hill Road
Brewster, NY 10509
Tel: +1 845 259 3628

Watch GUNSTIX Shooting Sticks in action
Short version https://youtu.be/HYoF1nR9JFo?si=aUeCBW_G5OJAK26f
Long version https://youtu.be/NJ96K8T-ttc

2024 SHOW BOOTHS:
DSC (Dallas 11th-14th January) booth #950
SCI (Nashville 31st Jan-3rd Feb) booth #411
Western Hunting and Conservation Expo (Salt lake city 15th-18th February) booth # 319[/QUOTE]

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Technically, you can also hunt Rhino in Namibia. The only black rhino that have been imported into the US have been from there.

If you are ok with a farm raised rhino, the white rhino hunt on a big enough farm is like a wild hunt, except they pretty much know where to find it… read some old rhino hunting literature and you will see that finding “the right one” was what you hunted over- they are pretty territorial and once you find them, the hunt proceeds the same way. It is a huge price difference.

As far as the rest of the big 5, it kind of depends if you want a one and done hunt or if you are ok with doing it over time.

Quotas are fairly strict especially with cats.

My favorite hunts were the full bag hunts I did in Tanzania.

You can do full bag type hunts in other countries, but that’s not really how they sell them.

When I started, the cats were very hit or miss, and while elephant were on license in Tanzania, success rates were very low. Now, lion are more numerous, and the PH’s are better at aging them, so success rates for lion are better. Lion success is good in all the range states on the better managed concessions. (Good in my mind being better than 50% success rates)

Elephant your big issue will be size. They are overpopulated in their range, but finding a really large ivory old bull is both time and money intensive… but if you are just after a old male, odds are pretty good if you can walk.

Leopard are very concession dependent. I have my lowest success rate with them… but some places they are high success hunts. Generally speaking the higher cost places are higher success rates.

If you are trying to have the best success rates and least expensive options, you are best off hunting each separately.

If I was going to do it again, I’d do a full bag hunt in one of the better northern Tanzanian concessions, or someplace in Zim like the Bubye or Save conservatory. I think you could also do it in Zambia, but that’s a bit shaky at the moment.

Then schedule an extra week or two and stop in Namibia or South Africa and add the Rhino. If you go to the Save, you will get to (most likely) interact with wild rhino, even if they are not huntable. I hunted there in 07, 09, and 23. I saw black and white rhino each time, and last year we got chased by a black rhino cow while on foot… you don’t get a more “wild rhino hunting” experience, even if you don’t shoot one!

Posts: 10599 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
For the big 5 does it matter which one?

Doesn’t matter
Darting White Rhino approx 15k
Killing white rhino approx 25k-50k depending on trophy etc

Black rhino…whole different ballgame…250k+

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Small white fine with me Wink

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll never complete the "big five" because I have no desire to hunt rhino under current conditions.

Posts: 10007 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M.Shy
posted Hide Post
I think #1 for me is jumbo and then buff and then kudu
Thing is, instead of mark animal off your list is that you cheat yourself of gaining experience of hunting species numerous times and thus figuring out different experience on different hunts in different settings and that to me is the ultimate experience and that is elephant hunting

Posts: 126 | Location: Idaho & Montana & Washington | Registered: 24 February 2024Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ll see what the current conditions are when the time comes but if it’s canned then no

quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
I'll never complete the "big five" because I have no desire to hunt rhino under current conditions.

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can’t disagree. I don’t think I’ll be cheating myself of anything though. I got about 20 real nice plains animals and multiple buffalo and the traditional African slam seems like a logical if not popular goal these days

quote:
Originally posted by M.Shy:
Thing is, instead of mark animal off your list is that you cheat yourself of gaining experience of hunting species numerous times and thus figuring out different experience on different hunts in different settings and that to me is the ultimate experience and that is elephant hunting

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

What I did, which turned out to be a great experience, was an archery stalk with arrows I rigged for tranqualizers
I didn’t have interest in killing a Rhino so I found arrows (wide target shafts) that perfectly held Pneudarts..
I ordered some and practiced out to 40 yards.
They then loaded them with tranquilizer in the field and we had a great hunt stalking on foot.
Darted the rhino frankly too close (5-7 yards) because it turned down the trail I was kneeling on behind a small bush (which felt very small)

I tell the story because I don’t think that’s something folks would even think of as an option and it was great…..and no dead rhino.

One of Us
Picture of M.Shy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can’t disagree. I don’t think I’ll be cheating myself of anything though. I got about 20 real nice plains animals and multiple buffalo and the traditional African slam seems like a logical if not popular goal these days

quote:
Originally posted by M.Shy:

Ultimately In the eye of the beholder

Posts: 126 | Location: Idaho & Montana & Washington | Registered: 24 February 2024Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the proceeds from a rhino hunt go directly to rhino conservation why would there be a problem?

quote:
Originally posted by Kpoynter:
quote:

What I did, which turned out to be a great experience, was an archery stalk with arrows I rigged for tranqualizers
I didn’t have interest in killing a Rhino so I found arrows (wide target shafts) that perfectly held Pneudarts..
They then loaded them with tranquilizer in the field and we had a great hunt stalking on foot.
Darted the rhino frankly too close (5-7 yards) because it turned down the trail I was kneeling on behind a small bush (which felt very small)

I tell the story because I don’t think that’s something folks would even think of as an option and it was great…..and no dead rhino.

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes and I am discussing matters related directly to the “Big 5”. Not general African hunting. Although they are very similar in many ways……

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
Technically, you can also hunt Rhino in Namibia. The only black rhino that have been imported into the US have been from there.

If you are ok with a farm raised rhino, the white rhino hunt on a big enough farm is like a wild hunt, except they pretty much know where to find it… read some old rhino hunting literature and you will see that finding “the right one” was what you hunted over- they are pretty territorial and once you find them, the hunt proceeds the same way. It is a huge price difference.

As far as the rest of the big 5, it kind of depends if you want a one and done hunt or if you are ok with doing it over time.

You can do full bag type hunts in other countries, but that’s not really how they sell them.

When I started, the cats were very hit or miss, and while elephant were on license in Tanzania, success rates were very low. Now, lion are more numerous, and the PH’s are better at aging them, so success rates for lion are better. Lion success is good in all the range states on the better managed concessions. (Good in my mind being better than 50% success rates)

Elephant your big issue will be size. They are overpopulated in their range, but finding a really large ivory old bull is both time and money intensive… but if you are just after a old male, odds are pretty good if you can walk.

Leopard are very concession dependent. I have my lowest success rate with them… but some places they are high success hunts. Generally speaking the higher cost places are higher success rates.

If you are trying to have the best success rates and least expensive options, you are best off hunting each separately.

If I was going to do it again, I’d do a full bag hunt in one of the better northern Tanzanian concessions, or someplace in Zim like the Bubye or Save conservatory. I think you could also do it in Zambia, but that’s a bit shaky at the moment.

Then schedule an extra week or two and stop in Namibia or South Africa and add the Rhino. If you go to the Save, you will get to (most likely) interact with wild rhino, even if they are not huntable. I hunted there in 07, 09, and 23. I saw black and white rhino each time, and last year we got chased by a black rhino cow while on foot… you don’t get a more “wild rhino hunting” experience, even if you don’t shoot one!

I darted my Rhino to complete my Big 5. I don't regret it at all. Going in, I thought it was gonna be a sketchy, fish in a barrel deal. IIRC it was 6K.

It turned out to be a very exciting day. The dart can't go far and can not be shot through any bush. I had a ball.

I did My Elephant in Botswana in NG41 in 2006.

I did a 37 or 38 day stint in Zambia in 2005 to hunt, Sitatunga, Blue Duiker, Puku in Tondwa, then chartered from Kasama to Luangwa and did a 21 day Lion, Leopard, Buffalo and heavy PG hunt.

The beginning of that hunt was a two day, 1000 kilometer drive with Terry Von Rooyen to Tondwa from Lusaka. Those African roads wear your ass down for that long. Back then, there was a Loooooong rough dirt road called Mporokosa road IIRC. It was 200-250 miles of 20-25 MPH.

Probably my richest, most memorable African hunt. A very close second would be my 21 day full bag hunt with Mike Fell in CAR.

Great topic, thanks for posting it. (Gunslinger)

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3385 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If the proceeds from a rhino hunt go directly to rhino conservation why would there be a problem?

quote:
quote:

I don’t think there’s problem at all
I made a choice to not kill one personally
I think some feel there is no “sport” in the taking of a Rhino. They are one of a very few species from a bygone era
I was pointing out for those that lean that way I had a very good and perhaps unique hunt for one.
He had made the point of “under the current conditions” he had chosen not to…
Honestly 14 years ago there was not a “non trophy” hunt to my knowledge and trophy hunts were still all like $40k+ depending on size generally
I think I would have shot an old male that was dehorned

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome stories. I like it! And god willing gonna do it. By the way I love over the road travel in foreign lands. I’ll take it over a charter if I can!

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ahrenberg:
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:

I darted my Rhino to complete my Big 5. I don't regret it at all. Going in, I thought it was gonna be a sketchy, fish in a barrel deal. IIRC it was 6K.

It turned out to be a very exciting day. The dart can't go far and can not be shot through any bush. I had a ball.

I did My Elephant in Botswana in NG41 in 2006.

I did a 37 or 38 day stint in Zambia in 2005 to hunt, Sitatunga, Blue Duiker, Puku in Tondwa, then chartered from Kasama to Luangwa and did a 21 day Lion, Leopard, Buffalo and heavy PG hunt.

The beginning of that hunt was a two day, 1000 kilometer drive with Terry Von Rooyen to Tondwa from Lusaka. Those African roads wear your ass down for that long. Back then, there was a Loooooong rough dirt road called Mporokosa road IIRC. It was 200-250 miles of 20-25 MPH.

Probably my richest, most memorable African hunt. A very close second would be my 21 day full bag hunt with Mike Fell in CAR.

Great topic, thanks for posting it. (Gunslinger)

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’m sure the rhino will be last and will evaluate available options. Old dehorned bull fine with me as long as money goes into rhino conservation

quote:
quote:

quote:
quote:

I think some feel there is no “sport” in the taking of a Rhino. They are one of a very few species from a bygone era
I was pointing out for those that lean that way I had a very good and perhaps unique hunt for one.
Honestly 14 years ago there was not a “non trophy” hunt to my knowledge and trophy hunts were still all like $40k+ depending on size generally

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’m sure the rhino will be last and will evaluate available options. Old dehorned bull fine with me as long as money goes into rhino conservation

quote:
quote:

quote:
quote:

Most all of the white rhino are privately owned and most of the money generated goes into private pockets. Ultimately I suppose it goes to conservation, albeit indirectly.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13143 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess if they are raising rhinos that’s conservation ?

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Most all of the white rhino are privately owned and most of the money generated goes into private pockets.

That sounds like a sensible business plan especially if the owner of the ranch is financing and managing this venture from personal funds to conserve this particular species and one could compare it to the captive Lion industry.

Lucrative? Yes and No.

Posts: 1904 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
I hope you took on Mark's offer in Makuti

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9867 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wasn’t me. Yet

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
I hope you took on Mark's offer in Makuti

Andrew -

Not to derail this thread, but I heard Mporokosa road is tarred?

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3385 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boo lol

To keep this going what combos what locations and what outfitters would you use?

This should get interesting.

Already sounds like Zimbabwe for most of it

White Mountains Arizona

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:

Exactly.

And I am not a trophy hunter.

I hunt because I like hunting.

Lion, buffalo I refuse to hunt in South Africa.

Plains game hunting there is great.

But not lion and buffalo.

At least for me.

Anyway, I have hunted these in the wild for years, and will continue to do so.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66934 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote