Notify
Tools

Aging Lions?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted
OK guys,

Let's hear what pointers you think can be used to age Mr Simba?

I'll post the pointers I use in a few hours time. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
counted the candles on their birthday cake Big Grin hilbily

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Over all length of his hair, if maned...
Body condition and mass and muscle and scars
No pink nose
Mature look...

Just ordered from Safari press Aging the African lion.. Will have all answers in about a week..

Mike Wink

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My best pointer was when my PH told me to shoot. And that was after we passed on another male old enough to shoot.

Dutch

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Shakari,

I'll take a crack at it:

1. Absent or minimal leg spots.
2. Long mane hairs. No Mohawk with the mane filling in around the ears and on the shoulder region.
3. Black or mostly black nose.
4. Significant facial scarring.
5. Spotty facial hair and a droopy mouth.
6. Body language.
7. Tooth wear.
8. Loss or fading of dark markings on rear legs.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
OK, looks like I might get dragged down to the pub tonight, so thought I’d do this a bit earlier than expected. I'll try to keep it as short as possible.

The pointers I use to age a Lion are as follows:

1. Black nose...... this theory was proposed by Prof Craig Packer. Whilst I broadly agree with the theory, I do believe it should only be used as a guide and not as a firm rule. I personally believe the nose pigmentation vary from area to area. As an example, watch a few Lion programmes on TV and note how many cubs have black noses. It’s also not so easy in the real world to get a good look at a Lion’s bugle when you’re hunting it, not least because even if you can see it, it’s often covered in dirt, or blood etc and as Lion’s fight a lot, they get scratched and sometimes they get scratched on the nose. As those wounds are in the healing process, the wound turns pink for a while.............. which could be misleading.

2. Mane development: When a male Lion is in adolescence, he has an ‘Elvis’ haircut and as he gets older the forehead hair slowly fills in and the mane develops around the neck and then spreads down the back etc...... all you gotta do is look at a few pics to see how it develops. Bear in mind that mane development varies from area to area somewhat.

3. Head shape: As he gets older, the head and muzzle broadens out dramatically. A young Lion will have a narrow face and often slightly slanted eyes. The wider the head the older the Lion.

4. Musculature: The older he is, the heavier the musculature (esp) at the front end.

5. Body language/ behaviour: All Lions are arrogant, but a mature male is very arrogant. Younger males will generally be slightly more nervous/subservient..... esp around other males.

6. Markings: Younger animals of both sexes have spots and as males fight a lot, the older the Lion (usually) the heavier the scarring.
A quick note on hunting them. Until relatively recently it was thought that one shouldn’t ever take a pride holding male. More recent opinion is that one can take pride holders, but only if there are no dependent young. Ideally, if this is the case, they will be 2 up and coming males waiting in the wings to take the pride over and you’ll try to take both the current pride holders out on a ‘rolling road’ basis. That is one after the other in fairly quick succession. (Research shows that prides are most commonly held by 2 Lions)

Anyway, hope I’ve remembered everything in these quick notes and hope my pointers might be of help to someone. I guess I should also point out that in Africa, one should never say never and never say always. There are a few occasions when the rules have to go out of the window because of practicalities. For example, I’ve had one or two occasions over the years when I’ve been forced to shoot pride holders and not had a choice in the matter and one other when I’ve had to shoot a Lion that was really too young to be shot...... but again, I didn’t have a choice in the matter........ and whilst I don’t take pleasure in those incidents, I’m not ashamed of them either. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 16 January 2009 22:34 Hide Post
OK, looks like I might get dragged down to the pub tonight,

kick and screaming no doubt Big Grin beer

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Here's an old 'un for you:

Slightly younger:

Brett,

You gotta get this close to check it's teeth! Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
Another indicator that hasn't been mentioned here is the dorsal spine is more 'prominent" (knuckle effect) on older males, especially when lying down.

Tooth coloration on canines and incisors is another one. They get more "yellow" in older males. these can be viewed when a lion is yawning or panting.

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
I have a question.

Say you shoot a lion that the PH said to shoot.

Now its dead so how do you know for sure how old it is? Do you section a tooth or?

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
quote:
Posted 16 January 2009 22:34 Hide Post
OK, looks like I might get dragged down to the pub tonight,

kick and screaming no doubt Big Grin beer

I'm sure someone twisted his arm. That or his wife got tired of him and kicked him out. clap

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Palmer,

Again there is no definitive way to know the exact age even post mortem. What TGT does is the x-ray the 1st premolar (Little tooth after the upper canine) and analyzi the pulp cavity. This narrows with age dramatically until around 5 years of age. Thereafter the differences are very slight but the cavity never completly closes. However, examining a dead lion allows you to look at indicators such as tooth wear on their molars which otherwise one couldn't form a distance. Usually a close detailed examination allows one to confirm whether or not they were "close enough" to the 6 age category. The real old lions, 8 and over, are rarely mistakeable for 5 or 6 year old. The age gap 5-6 is the most difficult to estimate and that is part of the whole problem. Rather err on the side of caution........

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bwanamich

I know you can take the 1st premolar and take a cross section on of it on a ungulate (horned and antlered animals) count the growth rings and get accurate age. So, you are saying this cannot be done in cats. So, that is why you have a difficult time aging lions using teeth. Learn something new every day.

Brooks

Posts: 179 | Location: Virginia, NE. USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brooks,
You can do the same with lion but normally using the canine rather than the premolar which is very small. Obviously that is not preferable as it would damage the trophy. However, even with the canine, the age estimation is not accurate. There is a scientific article exactly on that subject which i read several years ago so cannot remember the details. I think it was to nearest 1 year??

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think all this is too theoretical.

If I ever get to hunt lions I'm gonna shoot the one the PH says to shoot.

Indy

Life is short. Hunt hard.

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Here is an example ofthe "knuckle effect" to which Bwanamitch was refering. This lion was aged at 11 years old according to his dental work.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Indy:
I think all this is too theoretical.

If I ever get to hunt lions I'm gonna shoot the one the PH says to shoot.

Indy,
In "theory" you are correct! Trust your PH. However, it is obvious from what one can see everywhere that too mzany PH's either do not apply any restriction, don't care or don't know. In such a situation, the client should know what to expect and make it clear to their Ph what their expectation should be ofr a trophy lion hunt.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bwanamich,

That sounds good, but I'll tell you something.

I went elephant hunting. We came up with an elephant. It was huge. It tore down branches. It had "big" tusks. Were they 20, 30, 50 60 pounds? How the heck should I know. the PH said, "That's a good elephant. shoot it." so I did.

I went buffalo hunting. I practically memorized Kevin Robertson's book before I went, so I would know what part of the buff to shoot at. The buff was standing in the shade just before it got dark. It was big and black. All I could see was it's big black shape, and one horn sticking out to the side as it looked at us. The PH said, "Take him," So I did.

The time to have this conversation about immature game with the PH is before the hunt starts. When the PH says shoot, I shoot.

Indy

Life is short. Hunt hard.