Find
Notify
Tools

A heartfelt thank you
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted
I did not really know where to post this as its something of a rambling thought. But having been here less than a year, this place has become an important part of my daily routine. From my first post about an old double, right on through sharing my excitement over my first buffalo/ele hunt, you guys have been nothing but supportive and helpful. I had a ton of questions about gear, guns, ammo etc. and all were thoughtfully and intelligently answered. I have also noticed that folks here are quick to loan, or give items that are needed by other members. Case in point is that Sam Rose (srose on AR) had made himself a prototype aperature sight for his rifle. He subsequently made some other styles till he came up with the one he liked. I have the same make of rifle and emailed him to see about buying one of his early models. Long story short, he wasn't interested in selling them, but he would send me one for free. I got the sight, and it is exactly what I needed to allow me to see and shoot with iron sights. This simple act of kindness literally added years to my ability to keep on using my double. In my humble effort to "pass it on" I recently sent a pair of gaters to a young man for his first safari. So for all of you guys that may occassionaly get a little cynical or tired of questions from newcomers, please remember that we came here to gain knowledge from those that have gone before us, so that someday we can be a resource to those that are yet to come. Thank you, JCS

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Great post! There is a wealth of knowledge and tons of experience on this board... and some very gracious people as well.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you aren't the only one that feels that way either. I'm not into chat rooms or twitter, facebook and all that crap but this site is informative and fun.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
We even check the Mud Pit (ARPF) regularly, just in case somebody ever says anything valuable there. Search function is awesome and the wealth available grows daily. Glad to be "let in" to play even if not one of the heavy hitters -- find that anywhere besides church these days...

Posts: 4882 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a great site.

With a wealth of good people, with great expereince and information available you can find no where else.

Posts: 42343 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
We always hear about the bad crap. Good never sells. But there is a lot more of good. So pass it on.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Sam is a hell of a good guy. I got to meet him at Michael458's house (another really good guy!). Just recently I was looking for some old school solids and Sam had some and I got them in a few days. A true Southern Gentleman!

One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
Well said,

Everyone is an individual and looks at things a little differently. I am constantly learning something all the time from this site and it people. Those who have been many times are wealth of info and advise. Those of us who have only been once even have something to offer occasionaly.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very well said! I'm also new to this forum and I've asked a dumb question (or three...) but 98% of the responders are understanding & helpful. That hyper-critical 2%? I reckon they just have bowel issues...

One of Us
Picture of leopards valley safaris
posted Hide Post
+1 clap

Dave Davenport
Outfitters license HC22/2012EC
Pro Hunters license PH74/2012EC
www.leopardsvalley.co.za
dave@leopardsvalley.co.za
+27 42 24 61388
HUNT AFRICA WHILE YOU STILL CAN
Follow us on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/#!/leopardsvalley.safaris

Posts: 980 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Sam is a real gentleman. Back in 2008 when I was new on hunting forums I mentioned my fascination for double rifles & that I was visiting the US for a few weeks. He invited me to visit and shoot / hunt with double rifles! I could not resist the offer and was treated to a wonderful experience of shooting about 7 or 8 differnt doubles belonging to Sam & Corbin (another fine southern gentleman) and hunting with a sweet Webley (London Sporting Park) 450/400. I will never forget the experience!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11221 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
JCS, thanks for the post. My thoughts exactly. I have learned a lot from the posters here and generally appreciate their helpful attitude and fun responses.

Tom

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 989 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are no dumb questions when preparing for a safari. The only dumb thing would be not asking the question that you needed an answer to.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote