THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Under Armour- stop whining and do something
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Under Armour- stop whining and do something
 Login/Join

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A.Dahlgren:
From UA
Thank you for reaching out to us and expressing your honest feedback. Josh Bowmar is not an Under Armour sponsored athlete. We do not condone the method of hunting he used to harvest this animal. Under Armour is dedicated to the hunting community and are committed to safe hunting practices that ensure a responsible and safe harvest of the animal while also keeping the hunter safe.

The fact that they used the term "harvest" is a red flag.

Great letter, Larry!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's hard to point the finger at UA...after reading some of the comments on this thread, "hunters" don't even have hunters backs..so why should we expect a corporation to?

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heym 450/400:
It's hard to point the finger at UA...after reading some of the comments on this thread, "hunters" don't even have hunters backs..so why should we expect a corporation to?

For being as small a group (relatively speaking) as we are, we sure are divided and often times our own worst enemy.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bow hunting is a "stunt"? ...what a joke. Beyond ignorance

Killing a bear with a spear, filming it and putting it on social media is a stunt. Not everything needs to be advertised but in the fight for fame and recognition there are apparently no boundaries

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
There are two separate issues here. If you don't like Josh or the video, who cares, it's your personal choice. The other issue is that UA dropped a prostaff because she participated in a legal hunt...not because she made a crappy video. That's what you better care about if you are at all worried about the future of hunting! UA condemned the hunt....not the video...big difference!

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sheephunterab:
There are two separate issues here. If you don't like Josh or the video, who cares, it's your personal choice. The other issue is that UA dropped a prostaff because she participated in a legal hunt...not because she made a crappy video. That's what you better care about if you are at all worried about the future of hunting! UA condemned the hunt....not the video...big difference!

Yup

Posts: 11963 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you agree with the hunt or not. We as hunters have too stand together and support all legal forms of hunting. We are our own worst enemies. We all need too stand together.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I modified the letter somewhat. The following was sent today.

Corporate Secretary
Under Armour, Inc.
1020 Hull St., 3rd Fl.
Baltimore, MD 21230-2080

I have just returned from a hunting trip to Alaska and learned of your decision to terminate a sponsorship agreement as a result of a video of a legal bear hunt conducted with a spear. I recognize your right as a company to make business decisions as you see fit. I want you to know that myself and many others disagree with your decision.

While Under Armour has exercised its right to terminate the sponsorship agreement, I want you to know what I am doing today. I am exercising my right as a consumer to not purchase any additional Under Armour products as a direct result of the decision made by Under Armour. In fact, I am going further than that. I am spending the day going through my things and throwing out ALL Under Armour products that I can find. I will replace these with products of your competitors. I have a lot of Under Armour products including but not limited to:

Athletic shoes
Work out socks
Works out shorts
Work out shirts
Golf shirts
Golf hats
Golf Shorts
Golf Belts
Long underwear
Various T shirts
Various sweat shirts
Various camo products

There may be others. I am not done. I have a lot of your products, an awful lot of your products.

Further, I am going to notify ALL of my hunting friends of your decision in order that they can make informed decisions when future purchasing decisions are made. There are various hunting related websites upon which I will make sure that this matter is posted.

I want to be clear that I would personally never hunt like this. However, as I understand it, this was a LEGAL bear hunt. These people whining and complaining never do anything for wildlife conservation. Bowing to this type of complaining by the anti-hunters just gives them courage to fight harder the next time. We are hunters MUST stick together and defend all legal hunting. What will be next? Bow hunting? Rabbit hunting with dogs? There WILL be a next time.

Under Armour made a bad decision. My decision may not mean much to Under Armour as a whole but I wanted you to know about it. I can assure you that there are many many consumers out there just like me.

Thank you.

Posts: 11963 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ions
quote:
Originally posted by drummondlindsey:
quote:

Killing a bear with a spear, filming it and putting it on social media is a stunt. Not everything needs to be advertised but in the fight for fame and recognition there are apparently no boundaries

Sir:
Killing a 2,000 pound wild bovine with a bow as JS did last week sponsored by UA is just as much of a stunt as this hunt. Killing a bear with a bow is just as much a stunt as with a spear. Liver shooting deer with a bow is a much longer prolonged death than the same shot with appropriate rifle.
I choose not to engage in any bladed weapon hunts/kills. You may choose to engage in bladed weapon hunts/kills, but a spear is no less, maybe a little more effective than a bow.

Like Mr. Sheephunter said, UA dropped her over the spear next year they will drop JS over the bow. If we do not stand up (and the most visible among us most standup the highest) then we are not even trying and should lose.
Mr. Shores asked you to do something. I support this man and women's right to use a bladed weapon spear or bow. I will use neither.

If UA wanted to suspended her for conduct unbecoming that is one thing. However, that is not what they did, or what they said they were doing. The suspended her for heat brought down by antis using hunters to help make there case, because it was a spear kill.

You can hunt your way, and I can hunt mine. We can be part of the discussion about what, how, and what kind. Or we can disengage, hide, and pass away along with our natural resources and our natural fabric. I cannot believe we live in a world where a person with a male voice and born male is now a female, but hunters are the evil, sick ones. Hunting is as old as humanity.

As much as I do not like it. Hunting with bladed weapons is as old as humanity. Make the best kill you can, and be respectful something died at your hand. There is nothing wrong with joy in pride in the hunt.

The fact he acted the way he did, did not cause this issue. If that were the case, I would be on the drum him out of the corps said of this. It is not. It is the fact they used spears. Again, I see no distinction between the killing effect of a spear vs. bear, bow vs. bear, or bow vs any 1,000 plus pound animal. But, it was a legal hunt. A guarantee you the drive will know be to ban spear hunting in that area. The rational is the same for banning bows, then handguns, then muzzleloaders, then me.

I am not trying to change your mind. I am writing for the undecided viewer. You think I am wrong. I think you are wrong. That is ok. But the market place of ideas, the economic market, and ultimately the political arena will decide this. I choose to engage. My ideas may be wrong and may not accomplish anything. However, I tried.

Thank you for your opinion. I am not upset with you. I agree with you in part. However, I see the issue as Sheephunter does. If you do not, after honest debate, I respect that.

Hunting was called a sport because hunters developed a code of conduct and ethics when engaging in the activity against the animal. In that area hunters and the voting public deemed spears an ethical part of that code. She was dropped because she engaged in the spear hunt. I would not engage. I would not engage with a bow. If this is unchecked we are all doomed.

If the hunters and citizens in that area wanted to say no spears for game animals except deer. That is fine by me. That is not the situation. But that is a different discussion. It is worthy one, and one we should have. If we do not regulate or participate in the regulation of ourselves we are doomed. But once the body politic has spoken. You will not find me stumping against you. I just will not participate.

A blade cutting through tissue of an animal is a blade cutting through tissue of an animal. JS, Tim Maranda, you name it will be next for there stunts with bows. Then the logic will be applied to us all. I simply say this engage, vote your conscience, if there are things you wish not to participate in that are "legal" simply do not. Oh my heavens, I sound like Ted Cruz.

I do not support bow hunting personally, but I do not want to throw the baby out with the bath water. If you want to I support your right to do so. Please

Posts: 10841 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Donate your UnderArmour gear to a charity (
Goodwill, Salvation Army, et al.).

Get the receipt for your tax return.

Donate the money saved to a pro-hunting organization (or buy someone else's product and send a copy of the receipt to UA with a note stating that you would have spent that money on their product if they weren't such pussies).

GEorge.

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
I have not thrown a spear since I was about 10 but this guy had the personal skill and the equipment to make a clean LEGAL kill.

My thought is that most of you guys would be screaming like scalded cats if that had been a lion or elephant hunter, somebody shooting over a bait pile/feeder or a houndsman that just got dropped from sponsorship. I can assure you that YOUR day is coming very soon!

Truthfully, the average joe doesn't see ANY difference between you and the spear hunter.

I would like to sit around and debate this theoretical issue with you all, but I have a meeting to go to, you see the antis just got an initiative approved for the November ballot here in MONTANA to ban trapping on ALL PUBLIC LANDS! But hey what do you care, "it's just the trappers"!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
United we stand divided we FALL. We are falling we don't even need the antis too do it. We have some right here that think bow hunting is a stunt.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

I also wrote a letter to UA. Larry thanks for making me aware of this. I've put a blurb on both my website and FB addressing this situation.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12866 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JCS271:
I have not thrown a spear since I was about 10 but this guy had the personal skill and the equipment to make a clean LEGAL kill.

My thought is that most of you guys would be screaming like scalded cats if that had been a lion or elephant hunter, somebody shooting over a bait pile/feeder or a houndsman that just got dropped from sponsorship. I can assure you that YOUR day is coming very soon!

Truthfully, the average joe doesn't see ANY difference between you and the spear hunter.

I would like to sit around and debate this theoretical issue with you all, but I have a meeting to go to, you see the antis just got an initiative approved for the November ballot here in MONTANA to ban trapping on ALL PUBLIC LANDS! But hey what do you care, "it's just the trappers"!

My major point exactly. Thank you sir.

Yes, I think bow hunting is the same as the spear. I also, respect your right to engage in it. My point is to abandon these two is to abandon us all regardless of how you may personally feel about it.

It was as legal and as ethical as bow hunting. If UA is allowed to get rid of her, then all are in danger. I can say no thanks, but you can. That is what I say to blade weapon hunters.

Posts: 10841 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drummondlindsey:
quote:

+1

they wanted to step it up and get some more publicity, took a risk, and it went bad (aka consequences)
I bought a UA shirt like 10 years ago and that's been it. I'll continue to think of them as a great success story, but they don't make anything in hunting gear that I would ever want anyways. They are just conducting business like 99% of corporations in the world do.

This also brings up the social media aspect of hunting these days. Not talking about the anti-hunters posting things under trophy photos. But the new wave of cool, young, straight bill hat wearing, hunting couples. They are all fighting to be the coolest and most interesting. Who can get the most followers and likes on Instagram. Everyone wants to be sponsored and "pro staff" That leads to these types of theatrics to set them apart. I really want to support all hunters, but I can't deny that it makes me cringe constantly.

Here is a podcast that just aired today. Cameron Hanes and Joe Rogan talking about this UA/Bowmar thing.

Starts at about minute 37

http://keephammering.libsyn.com/podcast

https://itunes.apple.com/us/po...es/id1129060251?mt=2

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
While, I would not hunt with a spear, if the weapon was legal to use, I don't have a problem with it. I do have a problem with idiots putting kills on You Tube.

If you take away one method (that you don't care about or agree with), it will not be long before they take away YOUR method.

Posts: 752 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I look at it as brand management by under armour.

Use the example of Tiger Woods - He got fired by most of his sponsors for cheating on his wife. Nothing illegal in one's spouse cheating. He did not have a single negative issue with golf - he did nothing questionable in his golf game. Yet his non golf actions damaged his brand to his sponosors.

http://fortune.com/2016/08/22/...-sponsorship-bowmar/

You have the bowmar already bad mouthing under armour. No boycott is going to bring back sponsorship.

I will bet UA had a perfectly well written legal contract that gave them a out for bowmar behavior.

UA is a 18 bil company that is second in sports apparel to Nike a $100 $100 bil market cap company.

Why should UA tie it's franchise to the lowest common denominator act by one marginal hunter who found a jurisdiction in which he could spear hunt a bear. The jurisdiction found out of the act it and changed the law to make it illegal.

This is all marketing, brand management and business. Why should a business have to have lug around the stupid actions of one of its sponsors for the sake of an idiotic hunting act that is no longer legal.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/fea...omen-in-hunting.html

This is what ua wants - brand managed hunting talk - food to table, no trophy talk, hunting cammo choices in pink ect. Do we want every hunting conversation with general public to be about "I would not kill an animal that way but if it is legal I support it" and then show the next idiot making a fool of himself on youtube.

If one has the money and wants to go to africa and find a private ranch that allows spear hunting I am all for it. It's the hunters money do what they want - just don't expect to post it to youtube and expect everyone to defend it as the most important hunting issue.

Walmart does not sell ar rifles anymore. Academy and dicks too. Should we boycott them for a business decision ?

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
It was a bad video with an even worse end zone celebration

Maybe with UA dropping this sponsorship they will follow with others.

Is Waddell or Pig Man sponsored by UA ?

99% of hunting TV is horrible to watch

Product placement and even worse acting and shot/track reenactments

I hit him a bit back......this means I shot him in the gutsie
It was getting dark so we backed out until morning...guts again
End zone dancing, fist pumping after shooting a deer with a name
Fist pumping BBD after shooting a buck you have 500 GB worth of game camera pictures of

The list could go on and on and on

It wouldn't bother me.....as a matter of fact as I have thought about this the past day or two....I wish UA would get out of the hunting industry.

They won't because hunters $$$$ is easy and ripe for the picking.....YETI anyone?

Step on in Willie Robertson.....he loves to accept checks from UA

What bothers me is UA didn't pull this sponsorship without an anti hunters petition prompting them to do so

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
We're preaching to the choir here on AR as always.
57 replies to the original post. Is it reality to think a multi-million dollar company will change its attitude for a few hunters? I wish they (and others) would, but I doubt it.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny reb:
United we stand divided we FALL. We are falling we don't even need the antis too do it. We have some right here that think bow hunting is a stunt.

There is a difference between saying it is not something one would do and saying you shouldn't do it. I think most have said they respect your choice if legal even if they view it as not for them.

Posts: 5699 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In full disclosure - I have never met the Bowmar couple, nor had I ever heard of them until this issue arose. I do however know Kip Fullks / co-founder of UA. In fact he and Cameron Hanes were both with me hunting in eastern Colorado last fall on the day I had my heart attack. Kip is a passionate hunter, obviously a good business man, and a sincerely nice guy! U/A does not sponsor me in anyway, and I know nothing about the information used to make the decision U/A eventually came to.

First and foremost - I support any/all "LEGAL" hunting methods one chooses to partake in, period!!! Thus I obviously support Mr. Bowmar's choice to hunt a black bear with a spear, as I understand the hunt was totally legal. No doubt he prepared for the opportunity - as seemed obvious in the video. I suspect the bear died quickly, based on the apparent placement of the spear? So I say congratulations to him, and yes I support his hunt.

Secondly, I hate the ethical question/comment - as ethics are your own. Nobody else can tell you what your ethics are, or should be, so I most certainly won't question the ethics involved. That's totally up to Mr. Bowmar. If he's ok with it - so am I.

As a passionate African Lion Hunter for 20 years, with 15 lions to my credit - I assure you I am very familiar with public scrutiny and massive anti-hunting hatred. Even long before it was the popular thing for the antis to do. Recently the group "Anonymous" has completely shut down my Instagram page - twice, my FB page once and hacked my computer/email last year just after the "Cecil the Lion" incident. I finally took down my "public figure" page last year too because of constant anti-hunter bombardment, it just grew tiresome more than anything.

What I have learned though is - whether right or wrong, social media is as much of a problem for hunting as it is a benefit, maybe more. The anti-hunting sentiment is greater than ever, and that's due mainly to the ease in which antis can spread their hateful messages - but in large part because of the things that we hunters put on youtube, IG, FB, etc. In many cases giving them the very ammo they need to take a whack at us, and I do believe spearing a bear - and then splattering it all over social media is a prime example.

Now look, I'm not innocent of doing the same myself. I've put several of my elephant hunts, as well as lion/leopard hunts on social media, and done national tv news interviews too. And in some cases all of this was used to hammer me, and the sport of hunting - extensively. Do I regret it? Not really, as I am HUNTER and always will be, period! But do I, should I, and should we ALL be more aware of the fact that actions create reactions, and in some cases - consequences too?? Consequences that could result in the loss of hunting privileges, rule/law changes and even sponsorship/financial loss too! Its important to remember, in almost every case - hunting is a privilege, NOT A RIGHT!!!

If I had any critique of the bear spearing film - it would be the fact that they left the bear out there overnight! It appeared to be a lethal hit, he claimed it was a good lethal hit, I would have to think that thing was bleeding like hell with a blade like that - and I bet it died fairly quickly! Yet he said it was too dangerous to do the follow up at night, really?

Listen, don't show/tell us how bad and brave you are to hunt potentially "dangerous" game with a primitive spear, but then when the situation gets a bit primitive/dangerous, you're not up for it. I believe leaving the bear out overnight, and showing that on film - was part of the ammo used in the opposition's argument.

Bottom line - do I wish U/A had continued their support for Bowmar's wife, and the hunt in question? Most certainly!! Would I personally spear a bear? If I were as efficient with a spear as he was - most definitely!! Would I film it / put it on social media - likely no. Not after the experiences I've had over the past few years.

As guilty of it as I am myself - how much are we contributing to our own potential demise via the use of social media and our hunting exploits? I suppose only time will tell!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
We're preaching to the choir here on AR as always.
57 replies to the original post. Is it reality to think a multi-million dollar company will change its attitude for a few hunters? I wish they (and others) would, but I doubt it.
Cal

You may well be right Cal. However, if we don't try, we are sure to lose.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Perhaps hunters should consider the categorical imperative when deciding when/if to post their hunts. We'd probably all be better off.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ryan Lochte lost his Ralph Lauren contract and Speedo contract for acting like an asshole. I don't see it as Speedo or Ralph Lauren turning their back on all swimmers.

Seems like the same attitude as BLM and Occupy Wallstreet. Everyone has a sense of entitlement and "deserves" to have it all. No accountability.

Have any other athletes or sports heroes ever lost contracts for stupid behavior? How about the kid that spit on your Big Mac? He was just expressing himself and deserves to keep his job.

The whole deal has nothing to do with hunting and everything to do with conduct.

But the sky is falling because he's a hunter. You think there are any hunters that work for UA? Yup. How about non-hunters. Yup. I don't particularly like football, but doesn't mean that I think it should be banned because NFL players like to grab their dicks in the end zone.

Conduct and class......

Posts: 1168 | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Never bought UA and never will
Them pompous pricks...

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
This entire uproar is not about the hunt. At least not mainly. It's about the video.

Regardless of anything else.

The video, stupidly conceived, and more stupidly published for all to see, is what generated this well-deserved response.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13389 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree, videos like this are not helpful.

Posts: 701 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
In full disclosure - I have never met the Bowmar couple, nor had I ever heard of them until this issue arose. I do however know Kip Fullks / co-founder of UA. In fact he and Cameron Hanes were both with me hunting in eastern Colorado last fall on the day I had my heart attack. Kip is a passionate hunter, obviously a good business man, and a sincerely nice guy! U/A does not sponsor me in anyway, and I know nothing about the information used to make the decision U/A eventually came to.

First and foremost - I support any/all "LEGAL" hunting methods one chooses to partake in, period!!! Thus I obviously support Mr. Bowmar's choice to hunt a black bear with a spear, as I understand the hunt was totally legal. No doubt he prepared for the opportunity - as seemed obvious in the video. I suspect the bear died quickly, based on the apparent placement of the spear? So I say congratulations to him, and yes I support his hunt.

Secondly, I hate the ethical question/comment - as ethics are your own. Nobody else can tell you what your ethics are, or should be, so I most certainly won't question the ethics involved. That's totally up to Mr. Bowmar. If he's ok with it - so am I.

As a passionate African Lion Hunter for 20 years, with 15 lions to my credit - I assure you I am very familiar with public scrutiny and massive anti-hunting hatred. Even long before it was the popular thing for the antis to do. Recently the group "Anonymous" has completely shut down my Instagram page - twice, my FB page once and hacked my computer/email last year just after the "Cecil the Lion" incident. I finally took down my "public figure" page last year too because of constant anti-hunter bombardment, it just grew tiresome more than anything.

What I have learned though is - whether right or wrong, social media is as much of a problem for hunting as it is a benefit, maybe more. The anti-hunting sentiment is greater than ever, and that's due mainly to the ease in which antis can spread their hateful messages - but in large part because of the things that we hunters put on youtube, IG, FB, etc. In many cases giving them the very ammo they need to take a whack at us, and I do believe spearing a bear - and then splattering it all over social media is a prime example.

Now look, I'm not innocent of doing the same myself. I've put several of my elephant hunts, as well as lion/leopard hunts on social media, and done national tv news interviews too. And in some cases all of this was used to hammer me, and the sport of hunting - extensively. Do I regret it? Not really, as I am HUNTER and always will be, period! But do I, should I, and should we ALL be more aware of the fact that actions create reactions, and in some cases - consequences too?? Consequences that could result in the loss of hunting privileges, rule/law changes and even sponsorship/financial loss too! Its important to remember, in almost every case - hunting is a privilege, NOT A RIGHT!!!

If I had any critique of the bear spearing film - it would be the fact that they left the bear out there overnight! It appeared to be a lethal hit, he claimed it was a good lethal hit, I would have to think that thing was bleeding like hell with a blade like that - and I bet it died fairly quickly! Yet he said it was too dangerous to do the follow up at night, really?

Listen, don't show/tell us how bad and brave you are to hunt potentially "dangerous" game with a primitive spear, but then when the situation gets a bit primitive/dangerous, you're not up for it. I believe leaving the bear out overnight, and showing that on film - was part of the ammo used in the opposition's argument.

Bottom line - do I wish U/A had continued their support for Bowmar's wife, and the hunt in question? Most certainly!! Would I personally spear a bear? If I were as efficient with a spear as he was - most definitely!! Would I film it / put it on social media - likely no. Not after the experiences I've had over the past few years.

As guilty of it as I am myself - how much are we contributing to our own potential demise via the use of social media and our hunting exploits? I suppose only time will tell!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
P.O. Box 620459
Littleton, Co. 80162
303-619-2872: Cell

dancing tu2

Posts: 225 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 08 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From the Baltimore Sun

http://www.baltimoresun.com/bu...-20160823-story.html

Under Armour terminated its sponsorship of hunter and fitness guru Sarah Bowmar after she filmed her husband fatally spearing a bear.

The Baltimore sportswear maker ended Bowmar's contract after she took a video of her husband Josh killing a bear with a spear in Alberta, Canada, earlier this summer.

"Under Armour is ending its relationship with Sarah Bowmar, the wife of Josh Bowmar," the company said in an emailed statement. "The method used to harvest this animal was reckless and we do not condone it. Under Armour is dedicated to the hunting community and supports hunting that is conducted in compliance with applicable federal, state and local laws and hunting practices that ensure a responsible and safe harvest of the animal."

Bowmar posted to her 1 million Instagram followers that Under Armour had ended their contract "due to international social pressure from anti hunters."

"It really breaks my heart, we lived and breathed the brand for years and gave them everything that we had. We will never speak ill of the company. Just wanted to let everything know our current situation and how heartbroken we are when we did nothing wrong. Receiving that phone call was one of the hardest things I've ever went through," she wrote, adding, "Don't be silent in this. If this bothers you- please reach out to UA and let them know."

Hunting advocates have done just that, taking to the company's Facebook page with boycott threats.

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 781 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hutty:
From the Baltimore Sun

http://www.baltimoresun.com/bu...-20160823-story.html

Under Armour terminated its sponsorship of hunter and fitness guru Sarah Bowmar after she filmed her husband fatally spearing a bear.

The Baltimore sportswear maker ended Bowmar's contract after she took a video of her husband Josh killing a bear with a spear in Alberta, Canada, earlier this summer.

"Under Armour is ending its relationship with Sarah Bowmar, the wife of Josh Bowmar," the company said in an emailed statement. "The method used to harvest this animal was reckless and we do not condone it. Under Armour is dedicated to the hunting community and supports hunting that is conducted in compliance with applicable federal, state and local laws and hunting practices that ensure a responsible and safe harvest of the animal."

Bowmar posted to her 1 million Instagram followers that Under Armour had ended their contract "due to international social pressure from anti hunters."

"It really breaks my heart, we lived and breathed the brand for years and gave them everything that we had. We will never speak ill of the company. Just wanted to let everything know our current situation and how heartbroken we are when we did nothing wrong. Receiving that phone call was one of the hardest things I've ever went through," she wrote, adding, "Don't be silent in this. If this bothers you- please reach out to UA and let them know."

Hunting advocates have done just that, taking to the company's Facebook page with boycott threats.

I honestly don't blame UA at all. I would cut them off as well. This was a publicity stunt and stupid. I don't care if it is legal, it is unethical and wrong and these two folks are not very bright if they think videoing this helps anyone.

Posts: 10153 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
How about all the baited hunts? AKA Shockey and others?
I'd say very unethical... While animal is happily eating, boom and ...

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.

“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Milan,
I agree 100%. Baited hunts for birds is illegal, why not for deer and other game animals?
Hello, any ethics out there??????

I just love it when Jerry Raglan or Mikey Waddell and others get all camo'ed up to sit in a deer stand (box with heater) and shoot enhanced deer over a timed feeder.....

That speaks volumes about our current day hunters and our ethics. We teach our kids that this is our "tradition" or our "culture" to shoot animals baited and trained to come to a certain place at a certain time of the day to for a meal. I quit deer hunting because of this practice.

Posts: 10153 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
Milan,
I agree 100%. Baited hunts for birds is illegal, why not for deer and other game animals?
Hello, any ethics out there??????

I just love it when Jerry Raglan or Mikey Waddell and others get all camo'ed up to sit in a deer stand (box with heater) and shoot enhanced deer over a timed feeder.....

That speaks volumes about our current day hunters and our ethics. We teach our kids that this is our "tradition" or our "culture" to shoot animals baited and trained to come to a certain place at a certain time of the day to for a meal. I quit deer hunting because of this practice.

+1

Why I hunt axis in TX. Free range walk and stalk. Cheaper hunt than whitetail, better meat and much better trophy in my opinion.

Hunting celebrities are a joke. Why I like AR so much - the opinion here informed and paid with by real hard earned $$. Some industry guys say we are a nasty bunch and strangely they all show up here selling hunt.

I dont watch any hunting shows. I don't trust celebrity endorsements by anyone - rather get an opinion on AR.

But it is a big business selling hunting cammo and other stuff. Much better margins that guns and most hunters will buy $1000 gun with $2000 year and stick a $200 scope on it Wink

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Couldn't agree more Ross and Mike
In Montana, no baiting for anything
Pretty simple

“ Hávamál”

One of Us
posted Hide Post
These people are obviously yuppies, not hunters. I don't have any of their products and won't for sure now.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I almost bought some gloves yesterday, but when I saw they were UA, I passed. BTW. What kind of idiot company makes camouflaged clothing and then puts fluorescent red and yellow UA logos in conspicuous places???

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Venture South
posted Hide Post
I have a lot of their products. But wont be buying them again.

I have signed and shared the petition with all of my facebook contacts.
Get it out there. Even if you just make a few people think twice before they buy. You would have made them and other companies think.
Hurt them in their pocket.

Specialist Outfitters and Big Game Hounds

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. - Winston Churchill

Posts: 779 | Location: Namibia Caprivi Strip | Registered: 13 November 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
The only thing that is going to be accomplished by this discussion is merely display the divisions among hunters.

That is all any of these type discussions accomplish, everyone wanting to rant about how their personal ethics should apply to ALL hunters and anyone that does not share those ethics is not a "Real" hunter.

Hunters themselves are the biggest enemy for the future of hunting.

Just follow this one discussion and witness how it continues to degrade with open attacks on fellow hunters methods and "ETHICS"!

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
Gentlemen:

Let me clarify something. Personally, I would never hunt like this with a spear . It is indeed a stunt in my book. However,as I understand it, that type of hunting was perfectly legal at the time.

My basic position is to support all forms of legal hunting. If we don't what will be next? Bows? Rifles? .........

I guess I take the basic NRA position. I oppose anything diminishing any form of hunting .

+1

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36556 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:

Amen Brother!

But...I do think keeping stuff off of social media IS in our best interest too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36556 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote