Find
Notify
Tools

Ammo Ratio
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted
I'm headed to Zim in 45 days. I'm after a tuskless cow, a kudu, a big warthog if he beats my last ones, and most likely a bunch of baboons. A Hyenna has alluded me so far. I'm taking it easy this trip, though if we see some nice Buff, I might be tempted to add that to the bag too, but I'm in a different frame of mind this time around.

I'm taking my .458 WM and a .300 WM. I was thinking I'd take 2/3 solids for the .458, and 1/3 soft points, and the balance as premium .300 soft points.

Would you think that's about the right ratio for the .458 or would you go the other way, and do 2/3 softs and 1/3 solids?

I know it seems like a silly question, but that's what I do in the last month or so before I go...over-analyze.

Mark Jackson

Posts: 1123 | Location: California | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Since elephant's a definite and buffalo's a maybe, I'd say you have it right.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13654 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Yup, sounds like a good mix.

Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2508 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I don't see the need for more than 12-15 solids for the 458 with the rest of your ammo being appropriate softpoints.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I am doing the same thing later this fall and I am taking 2 boxes of solids and a box of softs for my 4-5-8.

I always want enough to do a major re-sight-in as I have seen rifles badly off after travel even with high-end scopes.

Posts: 37879 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
For the 458 a hand full of softs and the rest solid would be great.
PS, Can you say hi to Ian for me.
Cheers,
Adam

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
For the 458 a hand full of softs and the rest solid would be great.
PS, Can you say hi to Ian for me.
Cheers,
Adam

You betch Adam.

Mark Jackson

Posts: 1123 | Location: California | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cchunter
posted Hide Post
Mark

I would go for 50/50

just imagine how you will feel if you dont have enough softs when the Baboons are coming and you are dressed in your 458 Cool

Posts: 2121 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I took 10 softs and 25 solids to Chewore North last month for my Rigby and it worked out fine for my hunt... a big bore solid through the boiler room of any size plainsgame equals a trophy collected! That doesn't count on cats, though I am sure it would work... you want maximum shock in those encounters.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If your softs and solids shoot to the same POI why would you take more than 10 or 12 solids? I'm not a big fan of solids for anything but hippo and elephant. I'm sure others favor solids for buffalo. If you are careful with your buffalo and only shoot when no danger of pass thru then take more solids. A PH pal of mine got belted by a cow several years ago that was wounded by a pass thru that nobody was aware of.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to take 40 softs and 20 solids for my 375. Worked great until last hunt when I was invited on an elephant cull. Ended up using every solid and giving the remaining softs to the appy for his test. Would have been nice to have one solid left incase of trouble.