New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold dot for DG?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My Leupold 1.5-5 scope has the standard Leupold reticle on it. I've been thinking of changing over to the Leupold dot.

What are your experiences with this reticle?

Thanks!

Before all else, be armed.

Machiavelli

Posts: 364 | Location: Hawaii | Registered: 30 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Dude. I tried it on a friends's RSM in 416 and found that if used in lowest setting, no difference in speed of sight acquisition over a regular crosshair at same setting. I had my 416 out on the range when he brought his out. Goes without saying, I'm using it with both eyes open. It may make a difference when cranked to the higher settings, though.

Cool Cool mgun

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been shooting one (ilum) on my 9.3x62 for the past couple of months. It took some getting use to because the dot covers up a bit of target.

For fine shooting, you have to use the top or bottom of the dot. I pretty much keep mine on highest power because the relationship of dot size to target size seems to be best. At 100 and 200 I use the top of the dot and at 300 the bottom of the dot. This effectively hyper elevates the rifle about six inches at 300yds, which means the bullet will hit just under the bottom of the dot.

I set mine up to put 286solids and soft points behind the dot, 286 Partitions +1" above the top of the top, and 250BT's +2" above the dot. This lets me use one scope setting for all three loads. I figure 286 solids and RNSPs inside 100yds for DG, 286 partitions for antelope, and 250BT for medium to small antelope at over 275yds.

Be advised that it is awfully easy to leave the iluminated scope on. I am taking three extra batteries for it. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used a 2 minute dot (on Leupold) thumbon my 416 for both lion and jumbo .. with a smattering of plains game .. I thought it very fast .. put the dot on it and squeeze ... It really made you concentrate, however, when the light is bad .. After I sold my first 416 .. I did it all over again ... I love it !!!

Posts: 168 | Location: The Great White North | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dots seem to be a like it or not reticule. guys who like them love um, and the ones they don't can't see any use in them at all. I'm one of the 1st group. Best thing I can tell you is if you like them use um

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used them for years...The Leupold standard dot is the perfect size IMO...I suppose its my second favorite reticle, I still like the duplex, but either suits me fine.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42163 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your replies!

I've two scopes in EAw mounts for the rifle, both have duplex reticles. I am considering having one with the plex for "longer range" work, and the other with a dot for driven shooting and DR stuff.

Thanks!

Before all else, be armed.

Machiavelli

Posts: 364 | Location: Hawaii | Registered: 30 July 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hello, do any of you ever use a post/cross hair? I have them on all my rifles, big and small. You can always see the post in any light condition and it aqusitions very fast.
GRP

Posts: 32 | Location: New York | Registered: 14 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chasseur

I've used a dot in a Leupold 3x for years and found it very useful. Used it last year on a brain shot for elephant and I also remember shooting a moose in very dark timber with it. I really like it. If I remember it was one of O'Conner's favorites.

Regards,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13012 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote