New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Swarovski EL's in 10 X 32
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a pair of 7x30 SLC's and a set of EL's in 8x42. The 8x42 is a better glass but I really prefer the SLC's as they are lighter and more compact. They are also significantly less $$$ and the optical difference is slim IMO.

Posts: 1010 | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich:

Not quite, but I did just get back from an RSA bowhunt with the 8x32 EL's. They performed very well in the critical low-light periods. The lighter weight of the 32mm made them much more comfortable to carry than my 42mm EL. They are now my preferred choice for Africa.

Posts: 192 | Location: Norman, OK USA | Registered: 01 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve, in this years shows, it appeared you were using a RSM? If so what calibre, scope and mounts?

Just curious, since with my .416 RSM, I've been stuck only being able to use a straight tubed scope, and I did notice that it appeared that you were able to fit one around 40mm.

Thanks
Gene

Posts: 543 | Location: Belmont, MI | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,
As always, lots of good input here at AR. I too have a pair of 8x30 SLC Swarovskis that I've used for years. At 19 oz and 408 ft FOV. I find myself drawn to them..I took a new pair of 10 X 43 mm Pentax...the ones with phase coated lenses mirrors erc. and mag. body. They weighed 25 OZ and had an FOV of 315. Not enough FOV to suit me and I used the 8 x30's most of the time. Left the Pentax over there as
one of the new PH's was in need of a good set. I guess the 8x32 EL's would be a good glass at 21.9 oz and 420 FOV . 32 /8 is 4 while 32/10 is 3.2. Didn't I read somewhere that you need a 4.+ ratio for maximum brightness...to let enough light through? I was sitting next to a client on a rainy day in the Mt. Nyala area and saw what might have been a mt. nyala laying down in my 8 X 30's. I borrowed her (that's right, her) 10 X 42 EL's and could plainly see my mt. nyala was a log. Trying to find a balance here though because I don't want a 27.5 oz pair of 10 X 42 ELs around my neck all day. Guess I want to best of both worlds. The 330 feet FOV afforded by both the new Leica Ultravid's and the by the 10 X 42 EL"s just doesn't sound like it's enough. That's why the interest in the 10 X 32's....360 ft. FOV.

Rich Elliott

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of Leica 10x32 and 2 pair's of Swarovski 8x30 (not EL's). For me, I prefer the 8x30's for hunting. They are brighter, have a larger field of view and a deeper field of view.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Rich, I prefer 42mm objective lenses over 32mms; they're just that much brighter early and late. If you're buying a new pair, check out Leica's new Ultravids and compare to the ELs......

AD