Find
Notify
Tools

Zambia
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JPenn
posted
Personal/family needs as they are, it will be a while before I make another trip to Africa, but I stay curious. So, I picked up a Brandt guide for Zambia when cruising through the book store the other day, written/edited by Chris McIntyre. I was surprised to find the following comments regarding hunting.

"It matters little to the Zambian people, or ultimately to wildlife species, wether these visitors come to shoot the wildlife with a camera or a gun." and then: "Photographers may claim the moral high ground, but should remember that hunters pay far more for their privileges. Hunting operations generate large revenues from few guests, who demand minimal infrastructure and so cause little impact on the land. Photographic operations need more visitors to generate the same revenue, and so cause greater negative effects on the country."

I must say, not what I expected to read in a tour guide for the general public.

SIC TRANSIT GLORIA MUNDI

Posts: 226 | Location: Texas | Registered: 11 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JPenn:
Personal/family needs as they are, it will be a while before I make another trip to Africa, but I stay curious. So, I picked up a Brandt guide for Zambia when cruising through the book store the other day, written/edited by Chris McIntyre. I was surprised to find the following comments regarding hunting.

"It matters little to the Zambian people, or ultimately to wildlife species, wether these visitors come to shoot the wildlife with a camera or a gun." and then: "Photographers may claim the moral high ground, but should remember that hunters pay far more for their privileges. Hunting operations generate large revenues from few guests, who demand minimal infrastructure and so cause little impact on the land. Photographic operations need more visitors to generate the same revenue, and so cause greater negative effects on the country."

I must say, not what I expected to read in a tour guide for the general public.

Contrary to popular belief there are folks that know the truth, and are willing to say it like it is!

JPenn your post is a breath of fresh air! tu2

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Dear Guests>

You may like this Electronic Brochure on Zambia

Zambia - Brochure

And while you are about it ..

Maybe have a look as well at the chance to be in the competition to WIN a magnificient Prize

Competition PDF-file

Regards, Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote