Notify
Tools

Re: Tanzania Safari - November
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Mohanjeet,

Welcome to AR!

I don't think many above have realised what an exceptional safari David has had? To take quality lion, elephant and 3 mid-40's buff is not something that happens all the time. Well done to Harpreet and David.

Happy hunting!

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey,

I�m new to the forum and have really enjoyed seeing all the great trophies and stories, and hearing from like-minded people.

We just wrapped up our season and I thought others might enjoy seeing these photos from our last safari. The lion and buffalo were taken in our Ruhudji area, the same area that our friend Adam Clements hunted and wrote about a few months ago.

(First time posting pictures, hope they come thru, if not please let me know. Thanks for the instructions Terry!)

[/image]
David McNeil and PH Harpreet Brar

We�ve had our best year ever for taking massive buffalo. On this safari our client, David McNeil, shot this 46.5 inches and another of 44 & 42 inches.

Our client David was hunting with his Westley Richards .500 double and a .375 H&H and PH Harpreet Brar was using a Hambrusch .500 double. They saw a group of buffalo in an opening about 80 yards away. They spotted this massive buff and Harpreet told David took shoot it. He shot with the .375, wounded the buffalo and it ran into some long grass. David exchanged his .375 for the .500 double and they cautiously went into the long grass. They found the blood trail and started following it. Harpreet spotted the wounded buffalo and told David to take him again. They were about 30 paces away, David fired his first barrel, hit the buffalo and it just stood there. He fired his second, hit him again and this time the buffalo charged straight for them. It didn�t take long for the old buff to close the gap, Harpreet brained him from about 5 yards and the buffalo literally fell at their feet. A little too close for comfort, but a great adrenaline rush.

At the end of the safari, we got great video footage of a 48+ buff in a herd and several others over 45 in other groups. Unfortunately our client had already shot all his buffalo.

[/image]
David McNeil and PH Harpreet Brar

This superb elephant was shot in one of our Selous blocks by David. David had his fair share of charges on this safari. They saw the elephant and were tracking him for several hours on foot. The elephant couldn�t smell them but knew something was wrong. He went into some thickets and Harpreet, David and the tracker cautiously followed him in. They could hear him now and then but couldn�t see him. They continued and got into an area where they could occasionally see him. The elephant all of a sudden saw them, turned and charged with no warning at all. Harpreet told David, �take him, take him now�. David fired his .500 into his skull and Harpreet fired his .500 a fraction of a second later and the elephant dropped like a ton of bricks, typical of a brain-shot. It was 15 feet away and stone dead.

[/image]
PH Harpreet Brar with David's Lion

This exceptional dark-maned lion was taken by David McNeil shooting a .375 H&H. David has shot lion in Tanzania with other companies but never a lion of this caliber. Harpreet had been �battling wits� with this lion for some time now as he�d seen his massive tracks on several occasions, though the lion was playing hard to get. Harpreet finally had the lions feeding, he built a blind about 50 yards away and David and him got into it early afternoon. The lions didn�t come to feed that evening. Harpreet knew they�d be back and that this was a lifetime trophy for a client. So he made a decision to spend the night in the blind and wait for first light. The lions came late at night to feed and several times they were resting against the blind and their heavy breathing was enough to get ones heart rate UP! At first light the lions were still feeding. Harpreet pointed out the massive male to David and he made an excellent shot into his chest. The lion ran about 80 yards and was dead.

Hope you enjoyed them. Keep the great photo's & stories coming.

Thanks,

Mohanjeet

Mohanjeet Brar (Ph.D.)
www.RungwaSafaris.com
mobrar@rungwasafaris.com

Posts: 30 | Location: Nairobi, Kenya | Registered: 10 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Wow, nice trophies!

Posts: 19549 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Exceptional trophies. Which block(s) were you hunting in?
I'm heading back to the Selous in September 2005...I hope I see a buffalo in the caliber of the one pictured.

Congratulations,

Bull1

Posts: 405 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. The elephant was shot in our Selous LU5 block. The buff was taken in our block which is called Ruhudji, in southwestern Tanzania.

Best of luck on your hunt next year.

Posts: 30 | Location: Nairobi, Kenya | Registered: 10 December 2004Reply With Quote