New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Tastiest African animal?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
TSJ - Another thing to watch those skinners with - when they cut out the oesophagus of a large animal like Kudu or Gemsbuck, they cut it out masterfully WITH the long fillet-like muscles running up the front of the neck. That's when you need to intervene (violently, if necessary)

Flip - I also cast my vote for Eland, but I was sorely tempted to put in a word for Springbuck. The biltong is excellent, but that's a waste in my book. Try cutting the saddles into chop-sized slices, smear olive oil and some herbs and spices into them, and fry. Springbuck leg (haunch) is also a special treat when entertaining. I do it on my Weber's rotisserie - very slowly ...... Mmmmmmmm.

Posts: 408 | Location: Johannesburg, RSA | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You guys should try some Cheetah. It�s the best meat I�ve ever eaten.
Flip, a friend of mine prefers fat on his biltong. Once I visited him we had some biltong which didn�t have any fat on it. His comment was: �Jammer daar is nie vet op die biltong nie, maar ja kan maar ook botter vat!� some guys really love to get a good chance of getting a heart-attack.
Regs Kamaatu

Posts: 194 | Location: Namibia | Registered: 04 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Before I hunted in Africa I was told eland was best, I like it, and all the other antelope I've tried. But, to me, gemsbok is the best by far.

Posts: 179 | Location: Westbrook, Maine | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rikkie,
I shot an ancient hartebeast, poor condition, no teeth ect for the farmer. The old black fellow Johan said he wanted to show me the two worms in the head a heartabeast has for brains. He boiled and ate the head meat, and called me over when he chopped the head open, down below the horns to the eyesockets. In that hollow, there was ... we stopped counting at 40, grubs the size of your little fingernail.
Even old johan was saying " to many, to many" and shakeing his head. Then he claimed he wouldnt eat heartebeast heads again!

Posts: 941 | Location: VT | Registered: 17 May 2001Reply With Quote