THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    And once again - Mozambique destroys large stockpile of ivory, rhino horn

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

And once again - Mozambique destroys large stockpile of ivory, rhino horn
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Mozambique destroys large stockpile of ivory, rhino horn in attempt to curb elephant poaching

Published July 06, 2015·Associated Press

JOHANNESBURG – Mozambique says it has destroyed a large stockpile of confiscated ivory and rhino horn in an effort to curb severe poaching of the country's elephant population.

Samiro Magane, a conservation official in Mozambique, said in a telephone interview that the burning of the ivory and rhino horn on Monday shows the government's policy of "zero tolerance" toward poaching.

The Wildlife Conservation Society, a New York-based group that works in Mozambique, says a total of 5,370 pounds (2.4 metric tons) of ivory and dozens of rhino horn pieces weighing a total of nearly 440 pounds (200 kilograms) were destroyed.

Conservationists say the number of elephants in Mozambique has dropped nearly 50 percent to about 10,300 in the last five years because of poaching.

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Do I hear Banjo?

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
How in the hell is destroying stockpiles of very valuable ivory and rhino horn is going to stop poaching??

I met one very famous man involved in all this, and his jaw dropped when I told him his actions are utterly stupid!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68645 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.sundaystandard.info...wsID=23606&GroupID=2

Sunday 12 July 2015 | 12:56 PM

Botswana will seek permission to sell its stock of elephant tusks

by Morula Morula
09-07-2015

DR Cyril Taolo, a Director at the Ministry of Environment, Wildlife and Tourism says Botswana will seek permission to sell its piling stock of elephants tusks after the 10 years moratorium that the country has signed with CITES has expired.

“We last sold elephants tusks in 2008 and we hope to able to apply for permission to sell again after the 10 years moratorium expires. Our hope is that we will be allowed to sell again,” he said.

He however declined to state how many tusks Botswana currently has in stock. Asked to state the source of the tusks, Dr Taolo said they are mainly sourced from elephants that die because of natural.

“Some of them are also confiscated from poachers,” he said.

He added that Botswana has never embraced the option of burning the elephant tusks, which was adopted by some countries to demonstrate their disdain for poaching.

“Burning the tusks has never been an option for Botswana. We view it as a waste as tusks can be sold for good money that we need to care for other animals and for the development of the country in general”, he said.

He added that Botswana first has to consider its options before culling elephants. There have been calls for the country to cull elephants after numerous complaints by citizens that the elephants population has ballooned to an extent that they are currently encroached even into people’s farming lands.

“Culling is an option yes, but we first have to establish scientifically how many elephants we have before we can look at that option bearing in mind that elephants are migratory animals which tend to move from one country to another to seek refuge from poachers at times”.

“Right now our data does not indicate this important trend at all. All we have are stories of people sighting elephants in areas they have not seen them in many years. This on its own cannot make a case for culling elephants. Scientific proof is crucial before taking such a decision”, he stressed.

Asked about selling of rhinos horns, he said.”That is out of question we will not do that in the near future”. Botswana which is seen as a safe haven for wild animals because of its strong anti poaching regime which encompasses use of army in anti poaching activities recently received dozens of rhinos from South Africa where poachers are killing them on a daily basis.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9481 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is most likley that amount in every large city in China.

Will see if I can find a few pic's.
For sale in lots of store. Black market or not no idea.

We from the west have no idea how it works there.

Posts: 376 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Am I alone in thinking that public destruction of ivory is a good way to destroy evidence of illicit sales from a county's inventory?

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Like most bureaucratic decisions, this is useless, stupid and counterproductive. What better way to keep the price of ivory sky high. Some poaching syndicate just got a bonus for their latest shipment. Anyone heard of prohibition? The U.S. war on drugs? Miserable failures. People want what people want and soon as you outlaw, ban, restrict those things the black market booms. This reminds me of old film footage of police breaking open casks and kegs of beer and alcohol pouring on the ground. Al Capone was never so rich as when the competition got pinched.

Posts: 3510 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.fws.gov/home/featur...ruction-IA-FINAL.pdf

U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service
Statement on Mozambique’s Destruction of Ivory and Rhino Horn
July 10, 2015

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (Service) commends Mozambique for taking a public stand
against illegal wildlife trade this week by destroying 2.4 tons of elephant ivory and 86 pieces of rhino horn weighing more than 420 pounds. We are hopeful this signifies a renewed commitment
to combat poaching and wildlife trafficking. Mozambique represents the tenth country to engage in destruction of confiscated illegal ivory since the Service held its first ivory crush in November

Rampant poaching is taking its toll within Mozambique and on neighboring countries.
Mozambique has lost 48 percent of its elephants in just the past five years. Recent surveys
revealed there are only 10,300 elephants left in the country. To the west of Mozambique, rhino
poaching in South Africa skyrocketed from seven rhinos poached in 2000 to 1,215 rhinos
poached in 2014. Poaching also affects the rangers who put their lives on the line to defend these animals.

Mozambique has experienced a number of significant thefts of seized ivory and rhino horn, and
we recognize the intended merit of destroying this stockpile not only to signal how seriously
Mozambique is taking this issue but also to prevent any potential re-entry of these confiscated items into illegal trade.

Although this is a commendable action, we are concerned by reports that the rhino horn
destroyed by Mozambique may have been from cases still under investigation and could have
provided valuable forensic evidence. In addition, it’s unclear whether Mozambique followed
standard investigative and prosecutorial procedures recommended by the Convention on
International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) for dealing with
seized rhinoceros horn.

The Government of Mozambique’s decision to publicly destroy their confiscated ivory and rhino horn should help send a clear message that poaching and wildlife trafficking will no longer be tolerated.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9481 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote