Find
Notify
Tools

Predator Calls
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Deleted

Posts: 389 | Location: Limpopo, South Africa | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
We used an electronic call with remote speakers from Cabelas.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
check laws before using, in several countries it is illegal to call

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I use the Acme ones and they work for me.

As far as jackal in DRY areas are concerned, try leaving a half empty plastic bottle of water with the top screwed down just enough to stop leaks in the road and then sneak back to it an hour later. The jackals can smell the water but can't get to it and they bite the bottle which being half empty just buckles but doesn't break. The noise of the bottle buckling also makes it easier for you to sneak up on 'em.

Doesn't always work but it's worked often enough for me. Smiler

One of Us
Picture of G L Krause
posted Hide Post
A jackal can't bite through a half empty plastic water bottle? I've seen my dog chew through toolbox once.

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that kills bigger deer than I do." Izaak Walton (modified)

One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
Check this forum out...

http://jaracal.com/index.php

These are the guys here in South Africa that does it for a living.

Electronic calls = Fox Pro

FX 3 is around R5500.00

Mouth Calls = Critter call

The medium and small one difficult to find in South Africa

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Jim,
Yours looks much better than mine did. Got one in June in Namibia with my wildcat .338 WSM and a Nosler 210gr Partition. The off-side was not pretty.
Max

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by G L Krause:
A jackal can't bite through a half empty plastic water bottle? I've seen my dog chew through toolbox once.

They'll go straight through a full bottle or one with a properly tight lid but if it's half empty and the lid not quite fully tight, the bottle just collapses so they can't bite through it.

I guess I should have said I'm talking about the cheaper collapsable bottles we get here a lot, I don't know if it'd work with the more robust designer water style bottles as I've never tried it with one of those.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use both.

Electronic call is my primary call and mouth caller is back up.

I have used the mouth caller a lot of times to stop a jackal that came in to the electronic call but did not want to stand still.

I hope I can get my caller fixed. Was on the truck when I had the accident last year...

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I've found those same callers to work on the duikers as well....... esp red duiker.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
That's interesting..... I've never had a reedbuck come in on a call.

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MD375:
Thanks guys

Gerhard: What do you prefer the electronic call or the mouth call?

Shakari: I've seen that method used before by a trapper from the Eastern Cape and he was quite successful.

Jim: Nice Jackal. How long did he take to come in to the call?

He was the second one to respond. The first one responded in about 15 minutes and came in down wind and was gone. About 10 minutes later this on came in.

Thinking I was using "to much gun" with my 300 Win Mag using 180 grain A Frames. Big Grin

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thinking I was using "to much gun" with my 300 Win Mag using 180 grain A Frames. Big Grin

That will give you a BANG FLOP effect.... lol

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Fox Pro calls are hard to beat. You can buy their downloadable package with Lion, Hyena, and a few Jackal calls. I think I paid $15 for the package of 7 calls. Download it and transfer it to the call. The calls are $400 and up.

Get pig the squeal. I hear it works on a lot of animals.

Posts: 6255 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
My son took his foxpro with us in May, when we hunted near Hoedspruit. We only tried it a little bit, but did call in a jackal, and had a hyena just outside the light as well. If a fellow were serious about this, I think he'd do very well with a foxpro.

Posts: 3860 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
I"m pretty sure you can order a Foxpro through Cabelas.

Posts: 3860 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Saeed provided animal calls here on AR once and I recorded them. They included lion, leopard, hyena and black backed jackal, among others. I put them on CDs and when my PH from Zim was here at the SCI show last January, I gave him a couple of CDs. He recently reported back that they have worked for him. I, for one, like to use my T-Rex predator call and have called in all kinds of predators and non-predators alike with it in Africa. I won't go on Safari without it. MD375: I am sure that someone could pick one up for you and bring it over.

One of Us
Picture of Vanderhoef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks CAelknuts.

I just visited the foxpro website and was quoted $19.99 for the call and $150 postage to South Africa!

I'm afraid there's a mistake, but probably not with the postage Wink

As Wendell said, they'll run you about $300 to $500 for either the FX3 or the Fury. You can buy refurbished direct from Foxpro and save some money.

Love mine and it works like a charm!!

Regards,
Scott

"....but to protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not of soundness of heart."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 466 | Location: Just west of Cleo, TX | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Francois Marais (my ph in Namibia) had a Foxpro electronic caller, I use the same one at home.

Here's a jackal that Francois called in on my trip.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12552 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks Guys

Any idea where I can purchase either the foxpro or the ACME callers from?

MD

Have a look at the link I posted before. You will find all the correct contact details for buying a foxpro as well as mouth calls in South Africa

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
Hey Gerhard,
I recognize that Lochi fellow in your video, boy does he get excited about hunting jackal and I have had some very fun evenings out calling jackals with him. I'll be heading back to RSA this time next year with Lochi and look forward to jackaling when I am there.

BigBullet

"Half the FUN of the travel is the esthetic of LOSTNESS" Ray Bradbury
https://www.facebook.com/Natal...443607135825/?ref=hl

Posts: 1212 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote