New
Find
Notify
Tools

Clearing finished trophy shipment
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a shipment coming. All that is in it is a finished zebra rug, and a couple of cast aluminum replicas of the feet of the ele bull I shot last April. The ivory, for obvious reasons, will remain in Zim for at least the time being.
Since there are no unfinished skins or CITES animals involved, is there any need to go through a customs broker, or can this come directly to me?
I live in rural South Dakota, so no international airports nearby, but I could drive 200 miles to a customs office if I needed to.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is my understanding that ANY shipment coming from another country must go through customs.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marty: It is really easy to self clear your hunting trophies, just requires you to go to the airport where you choose to have them shipped. I've done it several times (but I only live about 55 miles from DFW). Look at the USFWS website, there is plenty of info regarding self clearing hunting trophies and contrary to what others have posted, I have had nothing but good experiences with USFWS regarding trophy clearance. In fact, I have a shipment in Atlanta on the way to DFW which I will clear myself. PM if you want or need more info.

Karl

Karl Evans

Posts: 2899 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I second what K Evan said. Find an airport that has USFWS office and choose that location. Myself and my friends have cleared 9 shipments ourselves from Namibia, Zim, and South Africa.

Staff at both USFWS and customs have been professional and been in and out in less than 30 minutes.

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 782 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
Very straight forward process - especially with finished trophies.. I clear mine at BWI - the first time I did it myself I explained to the US F&W agent it was my first time and he was very helpful - stated that the import companies are the one responsible for spreading all the horror stories as they want us to think we cannnot do it ourselves.. Clearing the last shipment cost me something like $68.00 total..

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 894 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cleared a shipment today at DFW (skulls and skins) and it took 53 minutes from the time I walked into the Delta Air Cargo office to get paperwork until I was on my way home with my crate (Delta Air Cargo-USFWS-CBP-Delta Air Cargo). Probably 35 minutes of that was driving between the three offices. Very easy.

Karl

Karl Evans

Posts: 2899 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
at BWI you walk about 30ft between USFWS and Customs.. Then drive a couple hundred yards to the warehouse ramp....

I have never cleared my own when I had swine (dept of AG) - I doubt it is a problem just a little more coordination ..

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 894 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote